New BR model - the BR-800

Started by 64Guitars, March 24, 2010, 10:39:01 AM

vierge99

It sounds like the BR-800 will suit you pretty well. If your goal is to have a few tracks to just record straight and mix with physical faders, the BR-800 does that and it's pretty easy to use.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Yes, I think so. I hope It is a decent DAW controller. Thanks a lot vierge99 !!

Geir

Hi again pequeño téo 

If you're standing between the MicroBR and the BR800 there are a few things to consider:

Portability:
If you plan to take it with you and use every chance to do some recording/mixing/mastering/drum-programming, the Micro is the way to go. It fits in your pocket and with some extra batteries (it only takes 2 AA) you can have a lot of fun on a train/plane/bus or in a lunch-break etc. ....

If you mostly are gonna be near a computer when editing/mixing.... then the 800 is the way to go. Dispite the limited display and numbers of buttons I actually find the Micro easier to use. Of course I've only had the 800 for less than 2 weeks so I'm sure that may cange, but remembering back I still think the Micro is slightly more intuitive.

The 800 beats the Micro in almost every other way (except what I've commented on earlier in this thread regarding stand-alone editing, drum-programming and recording of vocals.)

If you have the money, buy both ;D  If you ask some of the most prolific posters here on the forum I think you'll see that the portability of the Micro is a factor that can't be overrated. But if you still think portability is not important for you I'd say go for the BR800!

hope this doesn't add to your confusion ;D ;D ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

pjd1

Hi Chaps there is a review in this months guitarist magazine on the br 800, gets a great review with a "Guitarist Choice" rating which is pretty darn good !!! check it out if you can , Rivals are Zoom R16 , MRS 8 , and i think the tascam dp 08 ,

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Thanks for your time Geir! I like your work and i think you have made some good recordings with the micro BR. I think i prefer the br 800, still i think is a bit overpriced, 400 € here in Europe ($525) for a device like this.. :-\ Maybe i don't want to "pay the price". I'm curious about the Guitarist Magazine review.

pjd1

Not sure if yo ucan get the mag over in Spain but it basically give sit s good review , likes the flexability between the stand alone and the software Sonar option if anybody wants to use it , portability , easy to use , USB interfacing and excellent guitar effects , doesnt like ,, data wheel and four way cursor  a bit fiddly, sonar works with windows based systems only , overall it gives it about 9/10

I love it !!!

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

vierge99

The effects and the depth at which you can edit them really are top-notch. In fact, if the foot-switch is assignable to different parameters, this could really be used in a pinch if your pedal board (or other multi-effects) wasn't available.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Thanks guys !!  Good to hear the effects are good.   I wonder if the sound quality is comparable to the Zoom R-24 fidelity. Anyway I've read in other forum that the Zoom recorders (i think pre r16 and r24) fail in the tone/fidelity department..i don't know.
 I'd like the sound of the recorder to be deep, dimensional, non flat. But maybe I am asking too much for this price range.
 However, although i prefer the faders of the R24, maybe this device is too much for my needs, I think the br 800 is my way to go... ???

Ferryman

Just wanted to say I have a BR 800 still in its box waiting at home for me when I get back from this business trip. Could not resist, it was playing with the drum editor that pushed me over the edge. Can't wait to have a play.....

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR