New BR model - the BR-800

Started by 64Guitars, March 24, 2010, 10:39:01 AM

64Guitars

Quote from: sanfi4u on December 05, 2010, 03:36:10 PMAny other possible problems? Any delays?

I don't actually have access to a BR-800 so I'll let Geir or one of the other BR-800 users answer that.

Quote from: sanfi4u on December 05, 2010, 03:36:10 PMWhat output is used for the monitors?

I'd connect the BR-800's Line Out to your active monitors. In Audio Interface mode, the BR-800 can route your computer's audio back to the BR-800 via USB so that you can monitor from the BR-800's Line Outs or its headphone jack. See page 119 of the BR-800 Owner's Manual.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

sanfi4u

Quote from: 64Guitars on December 05, 2010, 03:58:06 PM
Quote from: sanfi4u on December 05, 2010, 03:36:10 PMAny other possible problems? Any delays?

I don't actually have access to a BR-800 so I'll let Geir or one of the other BR-800 users answer that.
Any other comments, folks?

recorder
Boss BR-800

pjd1

Hi Sanfi4u as far as i remmember when using the cubase software the output is selected in the software so the output will be heard through connected active monitors via the br800 , ( its not something i use to be honest ) but i did have a play around with the it .. by the way no delays in sound / latency  , but delays in learning another software package !!

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

sanfi4u

Quote from: PJD1 on December 07, 2010, 02:49:36 PMbut delays in learning another software package !!
Hi Dunny. Thanks for the info. I'm wishing you success in fighting with all the delays :)

recorder
Boss BR-800

Saijinn Maas

Still haven't pulled the trigger yet on one of these.

Has anyone used an external phantom powered condenser mic with the br800 yet? Wondering how it handles it. The vocal "pre-amp" in the MBR and the br600 are fairly weak with a lot of the settings and I am wondering how if the br800 could handle a Shure SM7b. They are fairly low output and usually need a separate pre-amp to record with. Should this work on the br800 directly?

Thanks

Geir

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on December 16, 2010, 03:25:05 PMStill haven't pulled the trigger yet on one of these.

Has anyone used an external phantom powered condenser mic with the br800 yet? Wondering how it handles it. The vocal "pre-amp" in the MBR and the br600 are fairly weak with a lot of the settings and I am wondering how if the br800 could handle a Shure SM7b. They are fairly low output and usually need a separate pre-amp to record with. Should this work on the br800 directly?

Thanks
Hey Saijinn

Yes I have !! First when Mike brought his Røde NT1a over for the "Norway meeting" in september. You can hear it on almost all the songs recorded that weekend :
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=festival;sa=Norway2010

I also bought a Behringer B2 Pro late October, that I've used on every recording I've posted since then (except the last collab wit Kenneth). In addition I sometimes use two dynamic mics (4-input mode: Guitar plugged in, 2 dynamic + 1 condencer mic). I think the BR800 is a great unit for this kinda recordings. Handles both dynamic and condencers very well, and the input sensitivity range is quite wide, so no problem with any kinda mics I'd say. You may want to tweak the effects tho as most of the presets have quite a lot of compression.

cheers
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: Geir on December 17, 2010, 02:54:41 AM
Quote from: Saijinn Maas on December 16, 2010, 03:25:05 PMStill haven't pulled the trigger yet on one of these.

Thanks
Hey Saijinn

Yes I have !! First when Mike brought his Røde NT1a over for the "Norway meeting" in september. You can hear it on almost all the songs recorded that weekend :
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=festival;sa=Norway2010

I also bought a Behringer B2 Pro late October, that I've used on every recording I've posted since then (except the last collab wit Kenneth). In addition I sometimes use two dynamic mics (4-input mode: Guitar plugged in, 2 dynamic + 1 condencer mic). I think the BR800 is a great unit for this kinda recordings. Handles both dynamic and condencers very well, and the input sensitivity range is quite wide, so no problem with any kinda mics I'd say. You may want to tweak the effects tho as most of the presets have quite a lot of compression.

cheers

Awesome! Good to know!

Had a hard time convincing the wife because of the holiday season coming up. I am hoping to ring in the new year with a new br800!

Thanks G! ;)

Hi my first post :)

Great forum and a great thread with lots of info on the BR-800

I have taken the plunge back into hardware recorders and initally tried a Tascam DP-004. I have been pleasantly surprised at how much easier these units now seem to be to use. Anyway I have a DP-008 on 30 day return and like it alot. However the shop are also letting me try a BR-800 on 30 days as well.

Although the DP-008 is very nice I have been playing around with the BOSS BR rythm editor on the PC and really like it. The BR-800 seems to give you much more bang for the buck and is not a lot more money than the DP-008. Certainly the additional effects, thrown in Sonar LE and USB connection for input and control surface to your PC make it an attractive proposition.

My main concern is the learning curve as the new Tascam DP models certainly seem to be aimed at music recording techniphobes like me.

Anyway I will report back in the next couple of days and probably have a question or two.

As I often like to record away from the PC, I think the built in mic quality will also be a factor and I will certainly be comparing the mics on both units.

Seems we live in great times in terms of being able to produce quality recordings from our homes :)

Regards

Jerry

Geir

Welcome and good luck in your choice of recorder Jerry! You know, if you choose the BR800, you can get help here if you need it. There may be someone here with the Tascam as well but we're a growing crowd that's got the BR800.

cheers

and come back and post your music whatever recorded you decide to keep !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Tony W

I just jumped on the 800 bandwagon. I think it's making me play better :)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR