New BR model - the BR-800

Started by 64Guitars, March 24, 2010, 10:39:01 AM

guitarron

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on January 06, 2011, 02:22:29 PMI wish it was just 8 standard tracks... period. This combining the last two into stereo pairs is something I DO NOT see the need for. We should have the ability to set up two tracks in stereo as a recording option and not have it forced. That's just nitpicking though.

i always thought that was a bit misleading as well the br600 really is only  a 6 track -2 being stereo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

tom r

It would be good to have the option of stereo or single tracks.

t
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

Hi everyone,

So I've finally gotten my hands on the BR-800 and am ready to dive in!  This is my first time recording anything, so just wanted to get someone's advice on the best place to start.  I see that there are 3 main possibilities, EZ Recording, full recording, and Song Sketch modes.  Which would you recommend starting with for each of these?

1.  Recording one track of acoustic guitar with the internal mics
2.  Recording one track of acoustic guitar, and another track of acoustic or vocal also using the internal mics

And would you suggest linking up to the computer to start? 

I hope you don't mind these very basic questions here, if so let me know and maybe I could start another thread for that purpose (as I'm sure I'll have more too).  Thanks!

Geir

Welcome Nate and congrats on the new BR800 !!!

I'd say jump right in and use the full recodring mode. It's not that complicated to get a couple of tracks down and make a good mix. And if you've got any questions you know where to come !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Tony W

if you're using internal mics, and are considering hooking it to the computer straight away, there's one thing I'd consider above all else.

How quiet is your computer? If you have a lot of fan noise, you'll pick it up. If you have a chatty hard drive, you'll pick it up.

With the onboard mic, silence really is golden. I didn't realize how often I burped until I heard a few playbacks.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

dasilvasings

I'm still puzzled with the br-800.

What do you do with cakewalk besides editing songs? Can you run br800 effects from cakewalk? On 1 track? do you save cakewalk project parameters (e.g. automations) in the br800 unit?

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hi everyone,

So I'm starting to get set up this weekend, pretty excited but have hit an initial roadblock with the Sonar LE software.  I can't get any sound on playback (trying with included MIDI A minor pentatonic file).  I've gone through the steps here to set up the Audio on my HP Pavilion dv2945se.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/hardwaresetup/asio.asp?man=BOSS

I changed the settings in Audio options so that in 'General' BR-800 is selected for Record and Playback, it's selected in the 'Drivers' tab, and in 'Advanced' I've tried ASIO and WDM/KS in Driver Mode.

I can get e.g. audio from iTunes to play back through the BR-800 (changed the Sound source in the Control Panel), but no sound in Sonar itself. 

Can anyone help?  I can't think of any more things to fool around with and, unfortunately, no phone support with this.  Also wondering if people are using the LE software or something else to do the editing after they record?

Thanks a bunch!

64Guitars

Quote from: NateFreezy on January 29, 2011, 11:34:22 AMI can't get any sound on playback (trying with included MIDI A minor pentatonic file).

I can get e.g. audio from iTunes to play back through the BR-800 (changed the Sound source in the Control Panel), but no sound in Sonar itself.

Are you only having this problem with MIDI files? Try importing a WAV file into SONAR LE and see if it will play that through the BR-800. If the problem is only with MIDI files, then you probably don't have a properly configured MIDI soft synth. MIDI files don't contain any sound. They only contain instructions which must be sent to a synthesiser which then creates the specified sounds. If SONAR isn't properly connected to a synthesiser, then there will be no sound produced to send to the BR-800. Try getting MIDI files to play in SONAR without the BR-800 first. When you get that working, then connect the BR-800 and it should be able to play it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Yes, thank you!  I found another sample wave file and it worked!  Obviously I don't know what I'm doing but it's nice to at least get some sound out of the program :)

So time now to sit in front of the unit and get some tracks down. 

What would be considered good placement of the unit for recording acoustic and vocals?  I imagine there are general guidelines for distance to the internal mics and height vs. the guitar?  At the moment the BR is on a table that is a little higher than my guitar in my chair.

I know people have said placement is pretty important for the Micro, this unit obviously being somewhat bigger and with two mics...