New BR model - the BR-800

Started by 64Guitars, March 24, 2010, 10:39:01 AM

Another limitation I found. You can't use the DAW and the Surface control at the same time. The manual says you can, but I haven't figured out how. When I switch to surface control the DAW stops working. Also to use the BR-800 as an output device, you need to set the input to USB, which defeats the other inputs.

If anyone knows how to do this let me know?

I have a Faderport and and Presonus Firestudio, so it's not a big deal, just would like to minimize the amount of equipment.

BuleriaChk

I have to say that I am having a LOT of difficulty trying to decide whether or not to return this.  The only features I really like are the LCD windows for Rhythm and Effects (and the new menu system in general), but it lacks so many features that the price is really a factor.  Is it worth $450 for a better LCD screen and looping?  The lack of MIDI is apalling in such a unit; as Kevin points out, its use as a DAW controller is for mix-down only.  The lack of pads to play tones in the hardware implementation might be liveable if the midi were fully functional; one can purchase an external pad controller for use with Sonar LE to create patterns.  I think the effects are improved for electric, but now I'm not sure if they are actually up to the GT-10....

For me, getting one has been quite an anti-climax; it doesn't live up to what I would expect from Roland, and the BR-900CD (and even the BR-600) are more than useable for the applications I need it for.   If you own the latter, then the BR-800 now seems more like a solution in search of a problem......  If I keep it, I can only hope there is a midi implementation in the offing, but knowing Roland that is a gamble I'm not sure I want to take - I suspect they'll introduce a new version of the DR-880 first....

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

BuleriaChk

Well, I've decided the BR-800 simply isn't worth it for me, since I already own a BR-600 and a BR-900CD.  The main reason was a lack of midi sync and midi output, but also the lack of pads.  The effects are good, but not a deal maker, as I had hoped.  Also, I really am underwhelmed by the touchscreen interface.

The best thing about this unit for me was the improved LCD interface, to get back and forth between patterns, etc., and, of course, the Toneload function.

However, I just snagged a DR-880 for $170, which has many features that I want (including a legible LCD screen, and the tempo button allows immediately changing tempo with the data wheel).
I'll be able to use my own percussive sounds by adding the SP-404 which is an added expense, but will suffice until Roland introduces the DR-XXX+ sometime later in the decade (or Zoom realizes there is a hole and acts first to fill it.....)

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

OK, we get it- particularly without midi, someone here doesn't think this is worth getting. I have no need for midi. Quite a bit of repetition- this thread would be Way less than 15 pages if this were not so.

I am interested in this as a standalone device for recording band practice as well as songwriting demos, bouncing, or "mastering," till I get at least 16 tracks worth. On top of these capabilities, using it with a DAW on your computer (in my case, this would be Garageband, Amadeus Pro, or Logic- NOT SONAR) would make getting it worthwhile. Would the faders work with my Mac, and how would this compare with the 600 or any of the Tascam or Zoom units for my purposes?

I am also impressed with the amount of effects on this unit- I have a Tascam DP-04, which does less than my Korg CR-04 cassette multitrack, except it's digital.

Yes, I also have other DAWs on my Mac, but would love the convenience of a standalone digital multitrack that does all I need to do with out a lot of external effects units, interfaces, even mics at times.

BuleriaChk

Careful about the Universal "We" statements.  There may be at least one other person with the same concerns of mine.   :)

That said:

Actually, I did cancel my RMA, since my proposed other solution (DR-880 + SP-404SX) was unworkable, since you can't assign midi notes to pads on EITHER, and they are incompatible.  At least the LCD is usable under performing conditions.

I DO NOT think the BR-800 is worthless - if you don't own any of the other BR series, it is by far the best portable solution out there.  I'm just disappointed because current technology makes it possible to do so much more....  (I mean, c'mon, Roland, at least break out the MIDI files using the software editor .. It really isn't rocket science....)

It is just, IMO, a very strange set of priorities..... but, hey, your mileage may (and probably, most definetely does) vary.  My perspective as one of the first purchasers is to try to help make clear the "gotchas" that Roland doesn't tell you about in the marketing hype, so a musician won't be frustrated by brick walls after he's laid out big bucks for features that logically should exist, but don't.  

And a MAJOR hats off to 64Guitars for helping in this effort.  And if we shout out loud enough and long enough, maybe someone at Roland will hear us.  Meanwhile, if the BR-800 satisfies your every fantasy, I am delighted.....

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

I WAS able to get the BR-800 working as an input device AND control surface at the same time with Sonar LE !!!!!

Not sure what I was doing wrong, but I got it to work tonight.

64Guitars

Quote from: Kevin_12345us on August 09, 2010, 10:06:00 PMI WAS able to get the BR-800 working as an input device AND control surface at the same time with Sonar LE !!!!!

On page 120 of the BR-800 manual, it says...

"Put the BR-800 in control surface mode before you start up your DAW software. If you start up your DAW software before entering control surface mode, the state of the various indicators might not be displayed correctly."

Could that be why you were having trouble before?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: auramac on August 09, 2010, 08:59:02 PMI am interested in this as a standalone device for recording band practice as well as songwriting demos, bouncing, or "mastering,"

All of the BR series recorders are excellent for those purposes; especially the BR-800 and BR-600 which both include built-in stereo condenser mics.

Quote from: auramac on August 09, 2010, 08:59:02 PMtill I get at least 16 tracks worth.

No problem. You can record 64 tracks on the BR-800 or BR-600. And, with backup and bouncing, the number of tracks is virtually unlimited.

Quote from: auramac on August 09, 2010, 08:59:02 PMOn top of these capabilities, using it with a DAW on your computer (in my case, this would be Garageband, Amadeus Pro, or Logic- NOT SONAR) would make getting it worthwhile. Would the faders work with my Mac

According to the BR-800 manual, you have to set the Control Surface setting in your DAW to "Mackie control". So I would assume that, if your DAW has a "Mackie control" setting, then the BR-800 should be able to control it.

Quote from: auramac on August 09, 2010, 08:59:02 PMand how would this compare with the 600 or any of the Tascam or Zoom units for my purposes?

The BR-600 does not have Control Surface or Audio Interface capabilities. The BR-800 is the only Boss recorder with those capabilities at this time. The Zoom R16 and R24 have Control Surface and Audio Interface capabilities but, as a stand-alone recorder, they lack some of the features of the BR-800. As far as I know, TASCAM's recorders do not have Control Surface capabilities.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BuleriaChk

64Guitars quote from the manual is correct; good call, especially since you don't have a BR-800 (yet).  

One other issue is that when you choose "Control Surface" you also have to hit "Enter" to get the CONTROL SURFACE screen (with the picture of the BR-800 and the computer).  And leave it there (don't exit).  You monitor the record levels from within the DAW....

I have gotten Audio + Control surface to work in both Sonar (Producer Edition) and Ableton Live, using the Mackie Control setting.  Also MMC works in Ableton Live (Transport control, etc.).  So far, no luck with MMC in Sonar Producer, but tomorrow is another day.......  

Quote from: Kevin_12345us on August 09, 2010, 10:06:00 PMI WAS able to get the BR-800 working as an input device AND control surface at the same time with Sonar LE !!!!!

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

Henky

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 09, 2010, 10:36:15 PMThe Zoom R16 and R24 have Control Surface and Audio Interface capabilities but, as a stand-alone recorder, they lack some of the features of the BR-800.

Can you be more specific, which features do you mean exactly?

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Zoom HD16
recorder
Zoom R16
recorder
Cubase