New BR model - the BR-800

Started by 64Guitars, March 24, 2010, 10:39:01 AM

64Guitars

http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=br-800

• 4-track simultaneous recording, 8-track simultaneous playback plus dedicated stereo rhythm track playback
  • EZ Recording interactively guides through the recording process
  • Powerful guitar, bass, and vocal effects derived from BOSS's flagship processors
  • Song Sketch recording for quick stereo capture in WAV format
  • Built-in advanced drum machine with editor software
  • Functions as a USB audio interface and DAW control surface
  • Cakewalk SONAR 8.5 LE software with full audio loops and backing tracks included
  • Built-in stereo condenser microphone for instant recording
  • Sleek new interface based on touch sensors
  • 1GB SD included (supports up to 32GB SDHC card)
  • Runs on six AA batteries/USB bus power/AC adaptor (included)

From the Press Release...

"The BR-800 is expected to be available in May with an MSRP of $525.00."

The larger display should make the BR-800 easier to use than other BR models. For example, it displays the status of all 64 v-tracks at once:

The BR-800 includes new vocal effects from the Boss VE-20 Vocal Processor, including Doubling, Intelligent Harmony, and Pitch Correction.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bluesberry

sorta inbetween a BR-600 and BR-900 in terms of functionality.  It looks nice at first glance.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tangled Wires

Anyone wanna lend me a few quid??

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

I'd still love an MBR v2 with a few more bells and whistles. Just love that baby.

Might check this out though.

Cherers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

Yeah, I prefer my MBR because of the compact size, but the dimensions of this particular unit looks appealing to me. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the exact measurements, but it apears to be about the same size as a Dr. Rhythm drum machine. That is compact enough for me.

Not sure if I like the "tape/ribbon" style buttons as those are usually problematic from day one. But I think it is the only one that can be used as a DAW/USB recording interface. I'm tempted to save my Rubles for this one.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bluesberry

The more I look at this the more I like it.  It looks like the perfect combination of portability and functionality.  I think they got a real winner here.  If I was starting from scratch right now, this is the unit I would want.  If I was someone like Mark, with a microBR, looking to step up a notch in terms of functionality, this would be my #1 choice.  This blows the BR-600 away, I am not even sure if they would continue that line after this.  This is a whole lot of recording functionality for the $$$ in a very portable device.  

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: launched on March 24, 2010, 12:59:07 PMYeah, I prefer my MBR because of the compact size, but the dimensions of this particular unit looks appealing to me. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the exact measurements, but it apears to be about the same size as a Dr. Rhythm drum machine. That is compact enough for me.

Dimensions / Weight
(W) Width (W)    289 mm (11.38 inches)
(D) Depth (D)    184 mm (7.25 inches)
(H) Height (H)    58 mm (2.28 inches)
     Mass    890 g  (1.96 pounds)

QuoteNot sure if I like the "tape/ribbon" style buttons as those are usually problematic from day one.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd have preferred proper buttons.

I have a feeling that this is only the first of a new line of BRs. The BR-800 looks impressive but I'm tempted to wait and see if they announce a more advanced model. If this is meant to replace the BR-600, then I think I'd be more interested in whatever they come up with to replace the BR-900.

The new Cakewalk V-Studio 20 looks pretty cool though. For only $299 US, I'm tempted to buy one of those when they become available in May.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bluesberry

"I have a feeling that this is only the first of a new line of BRs. The BR-800 looks impressive but I'm tempted to wait and see if they announce a more advanced model. If this is meant to replace the BR-600, then I think I'd be more interested in whatever they come up with to replace the BR-900."

good point

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Yes, Dave - There are lots of reasons to switch to this one. Too many to list. The expression pedal input, 4 recording inputs, 8 sliders, new effects, DAW interface, oh yeah!

Thanks for listing the measurements, 64 - Definitely a bit bigger thatn an MBR, but not too overly large, either.

I saw your post on the V Studio 20. Do you know if that will work standalone, or does it have to be connected to a computer?
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

Quote from: launched on March 24, 2010, 01:40:24 PMI saw your post on the V Studio 20. Do you know if that will work standalone, or does it have to be connected to a computer?

I don't know for certain but my guess is that a computer is required for recording. The hardware probably isn't a recorder. It's just an interface/controller for the software.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website