New BR model - the BR-800

Started by 64Guitars, March 24, 2010, 10:39:01 AM

64Guitars

Quote from: PJD1 on August 29, 2010, 04:32:28 AMSimple question that i may be barking up the wrong tree !! its say 8 track how can i split the 5/6 and 7/8 into 4 seperate respective tracks using the same volume controler ?? there are 8 tracks in the preview screen ??

Tracks 5/6 and 7/8 are stereo pairs. One fader controls the overall level of each pair. To make one of the tracks of a pair louder than the other, you use the pan control (see page 40 of the BR-800 manual). With tracks 5/6 and 7/8, the pan control acts as a balance control. Odd-numbered tracks are always the left channel and even-numbered tracks are always the right channel. So turning the pan control clockwise makes the right channel track (6 or 8) louder than the left channel track (5 or 7), and turning it counter-clockwise makes the left channel track louder.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: Geir on August 29, 2010, 10:28:20 AMIf you need to have separate faders on those tracks, you'd have to move them tracks to track 1,2,3 or 4.

This is another editing option "missing" on the BR800 :D but you can do it by copying them and then erasing the old. Exchanging tracks is also not there, but can be done too by copying and erasing.

Yes. I can sort of understand Roland's reasoning for omitting partial-track editing features. But full-track move and exchange should definitely have been included.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BuleriaChk

What I REALLY can't understand (as I repeat myself indefinitely) is why Roland didn't include ANY Midi note capability on a device that is supposed to be used in conjunction with a DAW.  Not even Midi syncl.  ESPECIALLY with a DAW like Sonar...... , and especially if you're expected to do your editing there. Even if only to key a VST like Battery (if you don't like SONAR's less than perfect solution).  Even if SONAR made vast improvements in version 8.5.......

That, to me, is unforgiveable, and the major reason I returned mine..... I think it is truly a half-assed solution looking for a problem especially if you have a BR-900CD (I picked one up on EBay for $350) ....  Sheesh, they could AT LEAST include a "Save As" Midi Format 1 in the Software Rhythm Editor...

Yeah, attractive as the LCD is, I think the BR-900CD is a better unit than the BR-800.  If only it didn't have the CD....:-)

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

pjd1

Hi chaps thanks for the replys , yes i thought so just had a feeling i might have missed a trick or two !! to me its still a brilliant recorder with a few minor concerns with the editing faciltys , if you consider i have a old br 8 with more editing features!  but i have to say i really do not as a rule of thumb edit tracks, maybe trim a bit of here and there using audacity but generally i try to one take and get it right ! or try to !!

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Geir

One warning to BR800 owners.

I'm used to run my MicroBR on batteries. On the (not so) rare occation that I start running low, I have an adaptor and just plugg it in while the unit is still on.

That is not possible on the BR800. It will loose power as you plug in the adaptor. Make sure to switch the 800 off before plugging in the adaptor!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

pjd1

Great info Geir will take on board your,e observation !!

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Gnasty

Quote from: Geir on August 30, 2010, 03:14:04 AMOne warning to BR800 owners.

I'm used to run my MicroBR on batteries. On the (not so) rare occation that I start running low, I have an adaptor and just plugg it in while the unit is still on.

That is not possible on the BR800. It will loose power as you plug in the adaptor. Make sure to switch the 800 off before plugging in the adaptor!!!

Wow..i`m surprised the 800 takes batteries.

To take your info into account, i would say i couldn`t live without having the Microbr. I`m always running around with it in my hands and i do use the adaptor but i take it out when i walk around with it obviously. To have to shut it off every time i do that would just completely piss me off. >:(

Like they say.... If it ain`t broke don`t fix it!..I think i`ll stick to what i have.I`m happy!! ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

Quote from: Geir on August 30, 2010, 03:14:04 AMI'm used to run my MicroBR on batteries. On the (not so) rare occation that I start running low, I have an adaptor and just plugg it in while the unit is still on.

I think turning the power off before connecting an AC adapter is good advice for any electronic device. I couldn't find anything in the Micro BR manual that specifically says you should turn the power off before connecting the AC adapter, but I did find this on page 25:

"This unit is equipped with a protection circuit. A brief interval (a few seconds) after power up is required before the unit will operate normally."

If you connect the AC adapter to your Micro BR while it's battery-powered and switched on, you're defeating that protection circuit. So I think it would be a good idea to always switch off the Micro BR before connecting the AC adapter.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hello everyone. I'm from Spain. I am proud to be part of this site. Sorry my english is not very good.

I am interested in the BR-800.. I really like how it looks. I need a recorder to save ideas and songwriting. Fast and easy to use, preferably with drum machine. I am building a DAW and i am a solo performer, acoustic guitar and vocals, so i don't need many inputs or tracks with the recorder..so maybe the cheaper and praised Micro BR would be the best option...but i prefer fisical faders and the possibility of using it as control surface for the DAW.
I am also considering the ZOOM R-24 because i think is a better DAW controller and maybe has better sound quality  ???  and 1/4 jack outputs, etc... i dont need 8 simultaneus recording though. I have read this thread and others but I can't decide, so any help will be very welcome...Boss BR-800, Micro BR or Zoom R-24...Thanks!

Geir

Hi pequeño téo, and welcome to the site !!

I have both the MicroBR and (for the last week) the BR800. I'm in a hurry now but will come back to you later !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........