New BR model - the BR-800

Started by 64Guitars, March 24, 2010, 10:39:01 AM

Geir

I think it should, and if you dig through this thread you'll maybe get a better answer than I can give (I don't own a Mac).

The manual only says this about using it as a control surface, if that's what you're looking for.  
QuoteMake the appropriate control surface settings in your
DAW software.
Specify "Mackie control" as the type of control surface.
For details on how to make control surface settings,
refer to the owner's manual of your software
There is a Mac OS version of the BR-wave-converter:
http://www.bossus.com/support/downloads_updates/eula.php?FileName=br_wcmac_v300.zip

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

guitarron

Quote from: s.w.goatlips on October 09, 2010, 04:35:05 PMMy biggest disappointment with the br800 was/is that my computer won't support cakewalk. Whilst I am not desperately in need of it, and haven't actually used any DAW yet, I figured that I paid for it so I might as well give it a go. It took quite some time for my son to install it ( he grew up with computers, I didn't), it is on and running but I have absolutely no sound, therefore it is unusable. It seems to be a hardware problem even though my pc isn't that old. After some web searching I have found that I am not alone with this problem, but as yet have no answers.
 As far as the recorder itself goes, I love it.
cakewalk has a very good forum for tech support-i bet you'll find out how to fix it there
it sounds to me that sonar isn't seeing you audio hardware-

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Geir

Quote from: pequeño téo on October 16, 2010, 06:02:49 PMits only flaw is since it is using wav files the time is limited (1GB=1h 30m.) 
Then I suggest you get a bigger SD card :) The BR800 can take up to 32GB, giving you 48 hours.

ps. I just got to song 57 on the BR800 !! Haven't posted all, and some are just foolong around ... but, I've got some experince now and will soon post an update on my thoughts so far !! (remind me if I forget it !!)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

pjd1

Hi Geir , just to let you know i am very happy with my br800 , great sounds easy to use once set up with a computer easy peasy !! cant fault it apart from maybe a little more flexability with the onboard editing facilitys , but that is not much off a concern at the moment , it sort of tightens youre recording techniques if you know what i mean ;. i have to admit in never touching the cubase package and in using audacity to slight edit and switch to mp3 , i use a mixer to bring keyboards and vocals into input 4 , and then switch over to guitar input to record that , hopefullly years of playing around in front of me !!

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

s.w.goatlips

Hi Geir, yep you were right. I tried sonar again and lo and behold --I got audio. Now I just have to learn how to use it.
I do have a question for all and sundry as well. Does anyone know if it is possible to split tracks 5+6 so that they can be panned separately or am I just being greedy?
Frustration is my middle name.

Geir

You are beeing greedy ;D ;D ;D

But I've wished that some times already too.  What i had to do was to do a bounce and then "move" the two tracks (5/6) to two of 1-4. And by " move" I mean copy+delete (dont get me started on excange !!!! I hope someone from Rolan reads this tho!! we NEED more trackediting features)  
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman_1957

I tend to use 5/6 and 7/8 to store bounces, that way I record stereo tracks in 1-4 (unless I like the way they are panned from the input source) and then bounce the panned and eq'd mix to the stereo tracks.

Cheers,

Nigel

sorry just posted this in the main area of the forum but may be more relevant to have here too...

hello!

I am new to these parts & came across the forum looking for advice on the boss br-800. I can see from previous discussions that you may well have the answers I need & I would really appreciate your wise words!

My band recently took hold of the BR-800, with the primary focus of recording practices all in together just using the in built condensors.

The sounds are so good that I am keen to try recording micing up drums & guitar / bass / vocal straight in. Obviously there are only the 4 inputs & phantom power issues.

I just wondered if any of you had done live / all in recording with your bands & was interested in the results you had if any?

We mainly are struggling with the vocal recordings - we want to capture the live sound but when using the condensors we lose the vocal and we're not too sure how else to make this work with this piece of kit.

We have a basic knowledge of recording / mixing but we are by no means experts so please forgive me if I ask you to elaborate on any answers given!

cheers in advance,

Joanna  :)

pjd1

Hi Joey T , i have the br800 but have not used it for any live practice sessions as of yet , but i have made simular recordings on different machines, in my opinion you will get a half decent recording but the mix will be rough and ready with the drums bleeding into the other tracks and the vocals as you have mentioned not as clear as you want , even if you use four mic,s you may not get the desired recordings , if you want my advice you should record the drums using stereo mics into two tracks , ( having the singer or guitarist playing the tune for reference without recording him or her  ) then record the other instruments one at a time , mix it down then recorded the vocals last of all

Good luck !!

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Geir

Hi Joey!

I've got the BR800 and have used it both for making songs track by track, recording myself "live" in the livingroom, recording the meeting with 3 great people from this site as they came over this september and now last weekend I recorded a live gig.

I don't know what gear you have, but one option that might be a solution for you is to use the 4-input mode. If you're not gonna use an external mixer, I'd suggest the following setup:

Use a condenser for the drums into intput 4.
if the guitar and bass-amps have line-out you can plug them into 1 and 2 and the vocals though a dynamic mic into input 3.
If the amps don't have line-out, I'd plug the bass directly in and mic the guitar with a dynamic mic.

Obviously all the mics will get more than the sound they're put to record, but experimenting with mic placement I do believe you can get a great sound!!

You say you get a good sound using the built-in mics. It would be great to hear one of those recordings !!

Do please tell us more about your band. Music style, how many you are, instruments used .....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........