New BR model - the BR-800

Started by 64Guitars, March 24, 2010, 10:39:01 AM

Facemask93

Mines been 45 mins so far and still no connection , also get an error message sometimes saying files need repairing , yes or no

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

s.w.goatlips

On microphones, I bought a sennheiser E840 early this year and I'm very happy with it. And it was less than 200 bucks (au) with a stand (on sale) at the time. It can be used with the micro BR as well, although not on all patches. Obviously not enough gain with some of the vocal patches.
Frustration is my middle name.

Geir

Quote from: facemask93 on October 09, 2010, 04:25:35 PMMines been 45 mins so far and still no connection , also get an error message sometimes saying files need repairing , yes or no
hmmm ... what kinda connection are you making "backup","wave converter" ...... ?

is that message shown now, while waiting for connection?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

s.w.goatlips

My biggest disappointment with the br800 was/is that my computer won't support cakewalk. Whilst I am not desperately in need of it, and haven't actually used any DAW yet, I figured that I paid for it so I might as well give it a go. It took quite some time for my son to install it ( he grew up with computers, I didn't), it is on and running but I have absolutely no sound, therefore it is unusable. It seems to be a hardware problem even though my pc isn't that old. After some web searching I have found that I am not alone with this problem, but as yet have no answers.
 As far as the recorder itself goes, I love it.
Frustration is my middle name.

hello everyone!

i've got the br800 and i'm liking, but i don't understand two things:
1 - when the power is on with ac adaptor i get so much noise in some heavy distortion guitar presets. So i tried with batterys, no lucky...
but when i turn on with USB connected to my laptop and my laptop connected with ac adaptor i dont get any noise. in resume, if i turn the power swith button to ON i get noise, if i turn the power switch button to USB i get no noise.

2 - When i connect my keyboard to 1 and 2 input i raise master level and rec level up to ear the sound and i dont need to raise the "inp sens" knob, is this the correct behavior? but of course if i raise "inp sens" knob up it gets louder. with mic in input 4 i've got to turn the "imp sens" knob right to ear the mic sound.

anyone tried this with keyboard?

cheers

Geir

s.w.goatlips :
Are you sure the audio setup in in cakewalk is correct? And as the BR800 also is a "soundcard" for the computer, once or twice window has actually assigned the br800 as the default sound device as I plug it in !!

proenza :
1 - Some of the guitar presets are noisy due to the distortion it's in their nature. They do however have a noisegate which means that if your guitar isn't plugged in you shouldn't hear the noise. It shouldnt be audible before you have plugged in and turned up the volume on your guitar. Remember that the BR800 also switches to guitar input when you plug in the guitar in front. If the conditions are the same in all the cases you describe (all has the guitar input selected, guitar is plugged in and volume down AND your cable isn't faulty), it sounds like there's something wrong with the unit.
2- when I connect the keyboard I use the line input and thus I don't have to adjust the input sens. If coinnecting to 1 and 2 you should first adjust the input sens and make sure the peak led doesn't light up. then adjust the rec level,watching the input meters in the display  . (see p 38 in the manual)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

i tested one more time yesterday,
i connected br 800 with ac adaptor, switch the power button to ON and i left the usb connected to computer, the noise with usb connected is lower, with both options turned to ON or to USB. i think the cable connected to some power source significantly reduce the interferences...
i'm a previous owner of a br 532, so i can compare a little (the noise guitar presets).

thank you...

Halem

Folks, advice is needed.

I choose between Zoom R24 and Br 800. I usually work in Cubase so i want recorder to be a good audio interface for it, say, Br 800 can interact with Cubase as well as with Sonar?

Do you have any pros\cons for these devices on your mind?

Hi again..I just got my new BR-800 .. I like!  I'm still testing it but i love the sketch function It's like an old one track tape recorder because it is so easy to use ... just push the button and record over again..incredible!  :D its only flaw is since it is using wav files the time is limited (1GB=1h 30m.)  :(
 I think the t. sensitive buttoms and the screen are lovely...The faders are better than i expected...the sound (sketch mode) is really good with the built-in mics, plenty of bass. the device is compact and light , the finish i think is just decent, decent plastic, nothing impressive ...cheers.

Kevin Mammoth

This thread is getting me interested in the BR 800 (with the exception of Facemask's near death experience - yikes - and my kids are still too young to get me out of that sort of trouble!).  

However I have a query - I have just started using Garageband for editing and mixing tracks recorded on my BR1600 - I haven't produced a song yet, but so far so good - does anyone know if the BR 800 is compatible with Garageband?  I see it comes with its own software but I'd like to avoid yet another learning curve if possible.

Cheerio all - Kev
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....