New BR model - the BR-800

Started by 64Guitars, March 24, 2010, 10:39:01 AM

64Guitars

Updated versions of the BR-800 Owner's Manual and other documents now available on the main Roland site:

http://www.roland.com/manuals/en/index.cfm?PRODUCT=BR-800

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BuleriaChk

RE: the touch screen.  The BR-800 seems to be so PRECIOUS.  I'm not at all sure I'll want to take it out in public...:-)

I play Flamenco, which for me, means I use acrylic on my nails to keep them from breaking (that is why one uses tap plates on Flamenco guitars).  Does the BR-800 come with some sort of plastic protection. (If not, perhaps use monitor protection covering, like those available for pocket pcs's?)

http://www.posr.us/store/pc/home.asp  

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

guitarron

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 23, 2010, 09:33:46 PM
the choirs are singing, the birds are chirping, and a bright light is beaming from the box as it is unpacked

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Japanese retailers now have the BR-800 in stock, and one (Ishibashi) shows the "Release Date" as July 24. I suspect that this is the official release date and the earlier shipments to the U.K. were from an initial test run. Perhaps the U.S. retailers will start receiving stock next week.

In case you haven't noticed, I've been updating my earlier message daily with the current expected dates.

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=6710.msg104099#msg104099

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BuleriaChk

The more I think aabout it, the more I think the "split" feature (giving the rhythm a separate output) is kind of a "poor man's send/return"; it allows  the user to apply separate outboard effects to rhythm separateily from voice/guitar (which can be separated further by panning - I think).

For me, this is interesting, because I find I have to EQ the rhythm differently for different amps in live performance, so it gives that much more control over the live sound.  (Of course, I wish each voice had its own EQ/Pan, but for that I'll have to use my laptop).....

I wonder if the backup/rhythm editing software folders will be able to tell the difference between the Roland set-ups for the BR-600/900CD and the BR-800, especially since the insert effects in the 800 are so different...

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

BuleriaChk

Sweetwater just phoned me to say that my BR-800 shipped this morning....

From Sweetwater's Website:

"We've begun receiving shipments of the slick new BR-800 from Boss, and we're getting pre-orders shipped as quickly as more shipments arrive. Please make sure we have your pre-order as early as possible so that we can ship your new BR-800 to you out of our earliest possible shipment."

(So I guess they're dribbling in; I was 2nd on the list with my preorder the day after they were announced .... :)

Update: Fedex says delivery is the 31st (Saturday)...

Left Fort Wayne, IN last night (Sweetwater)  7/27/2010
Arrived at Perrysburg, OH this morning...       7/28/2010
Departed  Perrysburg this mirning                 7/28/2010
Arrived in Bloomington, CA                          7/30/2010
Arrived this morning as advertised               7/31/2010

Today is the day.  Hope it won't be too much of an anti-climax.......

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

BuleriaChk

I'm trying to make a template for the BR-800, to send to NuShield, who will make a touchscreen protector for it.  The problem is that its dimensions are too big for standard 8.5 x 11 paper.

Does anyone have any suggestions, short of tracing paper? (I can zoom in Adobe, and get the dimensions in an image, but can't print it...)

Otherwise, I'll just buy a blank and just make a template that will cover the buttons and maybe the screen.....

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

Quote from: BuleriaChk on July 28, 2010, 12:01:33 PMI'm trying to make a template for the BR-800, to send to NuShield, who will make a touchscreen protector for it.  The problem is that its dimensions are too big for standard 8.5 x 11 paper.

Can you print to legal size paper? The BR-800 is 7-1/4 inches x 11-7/16 inches, according to the manual. Legal size paper is 8-1/2 inches × 14 inches. I believe most printers can handle legal size paper. At least, both of mine do (HP LaserJet and HP Photosmart ink jet).

Failing that, could you not print it to a PDF file in legal paper size and send the PDF to NuShield instead of an actual piece of paper?

I can't help wondering if the plastic protector will interfere with the operation of the touch sensor switches. It is possible to adjust the sensitivity of the sensors but I wonder if that will be enough. If I were you, I'd wait until the BR-800 arrives and experiment with covering the switches with thin pieces of plastic or tape to see if it still works before ordering the touchscreen protector.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BuleriaChk

Good suggestion on the legal paper; I'll try that.  The touchscreen protectors are made for LCD's, so I can't imagine why they wouldn't work for the BR-800, but then I have limited imagination fading fast......

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80