New BR model - the BR-800

Started by 64Guitars, March 24, 2010, 10:39:01 AM

BuleriaChk

Thanks for the video.  I wonder if they will have EQ as an input effect, and on the Rhythm track (I'm hoping).... I will be using the BR-800 more as a live front end; I mix down on my DAWs.....

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

The current BR models have a 4-band EQ insert effect which can be applied to the input, including the drums. I would expect that the BR-800 will have that too. Or was that not what you meant?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BuleriaChk

Really? Please advise... asap - I have a gig in an hour.
Eg, I only see EQ on tracks 1 - 8 (playback).....

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 09, 2010, 02:56:06 PMThe current BR models have a 4-band EQ insert effect which can be applied to the input, including the drums. I would expect that the BR-800 will have that too. Or was that not what you meant?

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

Select any insert effect patch which uses an algorithm that includes the 4-band EQ (see pages 96 to 100 of the BR-600 manual, 4th edition). Most algorithms include the EQ but a few do not. Then edit the patch and set the EQ as desired (see page 104 of the BR-600 manual). Save the patch to the Song or User bank if you want to keep it.

To apply the 4-band EQ to the rhythm, you must first set the input to Rhythm (see page 95). Then edit the insert effect patch as described above. Unfortunately, you can't apply the EQ effect to the rhythm and guitar simultaneously as only one of them can be selected as the input at a time.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BuleriaChk

I guess that means I can use reverb, but not the acoustic processor on the guitar track, if I assign the Effect track to rhythm....?  Got to run to my gig, will get back to this when I get back....

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

No. The insert effects can only be applied to whatever is currently selected as input. Normally, that's guitar/mic/line/simul - whichever is currently selected. But, if you change the input to Rhythm, then the insert effects will be applied to the drums but not the guitar/mic/line/simul inputs. So, if you use the 4-band EQ on the drums, then you can't use any insert effects on the guitar/mic/line/simul. Probably not what you want, but at least you can EQ your guitar. That might be useful to you.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Sorry. I just re-read your message and realised that I misinterpreted it when I wrote my previous reply. Let me try again...

Quote from: BuleriaChk on July 09, 2010, 03:54:21 PMI guess that means I can use reverb, but not the acoustic processor on the guitar track, if I assign the Effect track to rhythm....? 

Correct. If Rhythm is selected as input, you can't use any insert effects on the guitar/mic/line/simul input. So, you can't use the acoustic processor on the guitar. However, reverb is a loop effect rather than an insert effect. So, you can still use the reverb (or chorus/delay/doubling loop effects) on the guitar.

One thing I had to check on my BR-864 because I wasn't sure how it would work. The loop effects have separate send levels for the input and rhythm (plus each of the tracks). But, if the input is set to Rhythm, would that mean that the input send level would affect the drums? Fortunately, it doesn't work that way. Even though the input may be set to Rhythm, the input send level of the loop effects still applies to guitar/mic/line/simul. So you can simultaneously have reverb on both the guitar and the drums at whatever levels you desire (set independently).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BuleriaChk

No, you read it right.  I edited my message just before I took off for my gig.....
You always give good information; thanks a lot.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

The BR-800 manuals are now available for download from Roland US.

http://backstage.rolandus.com/product_manuals/

Here are the direct links:

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

New BR-800 insert effects include...

Sitar Simulator!!!   8)

and many distortion effects...

plus Rotary, Uni-Vibe, Ring Modulator, Doubling Delay, and Enhancer.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website