New BR model - the BR-800

Started by 64Guitars, March 24, 2010, 10:39:01 AM

Geir

;D

My local shop just got the 800 !!!

Guess who bought the first one!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

What I really look forward to is recording 4 people live in September!

oh I must update my signature now ;D

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

I've got a buddy (the other guitarist in MoO) who has been dragging his feet getting a recorder, but he's coming around. What's the word on the 800 being a good entry-level unit? Is it a no-brainer?

64Guitars

Quote from: Geir on August 21, 2010, 12:08:23 PMMy local shop just got the 800 !!!

I have a feeling the other three people will be buying BR-800s after they see yours.  :)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI have a feeling the other three people will be buying BR-800s after they see yours.
you havent met my mrs have you 64?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Gnasty

Quote from: Geir on August 21, 2010, 12:08:23 PM;D

Thank you Geir,

I`ve read through so many of these pages for this thread..16 to be exact. I love the technical talking of it all and it`s really great to know and everything and i don`t want to come off as rude and blunt but i want to actually hear a recording with it!!

The talk the talk is over..Will somebody please walk the walk!! :-\
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Geir

Quote from: Gnasty on August 21, 2010, 03:17:25 PM
Quote from: Geir on August 21, 2010, 12:08:23 PM;D

Guess who bought the first one!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thank you Geir,

I`ve read through so many of these pages for this thread..16 to be exact. I love the technical talking of it all and it`s really great to know and everything and i don`t want to come off as rude and blunt but i want to actually hear a recording with it!!

The talk the talk is over..Will somebody please walk the walk!! :-\
I'm on it ;D .....

lol
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

vierge99

Here is my current procedure.

1. Use the wheel on the main screen to scroll to measure 2-1.

2. Press A/B Repeate.

3. Use the wheel to scroll to measure 4-4 (Using 5-1 makes the unit loop through to the end of 5-4 for some reason).

4. Press A/B Reapeat again.

5. Press Rec & Play to begin recording on track 1.

6. After 1 measure of count-in, I play my music.

7. The recorder hits measure 4-4 and stops recording.

8. Play continues looping seamlessly between 2-1 and 4-4.

9. I've got one sweet loop going.

10. I repeat the steps above for tracks two and three.

11. All is well.

12. Save song state. Power off the BR and turn it back on.

13. I now have three tracks each with 5 measures. 1 blank, and 4 with audio. That repeat:

MEASURE                          TRACK 1       TRACK 2       TRACK 3

1                                     empty          empty          empty
2                                     audio           audio           audio
3                                     audio           audio           audio
4                                     audio           audio           audio
5                                     audio           audio           audio
6                                     empty          empty          empty
7                                     audio           audio           audio
etc.

I could care less about the drums really as I only use them as a metronome anyways. I know that you can offset their start point but this has no bearing at all on your actual recorded audio.

The two official fixes:

1. Buy a foot pedal to activate recording.

2. Press record and move your hand fast enough to your guitar to begin recording on measure 1-1.

This would be no problem if we had track edit but we don't. Of all the things listed in this thread as a "glaring oversight," I feel that THIS takes the cake. Recording is what this thing does. Linear recording is fine. You can just let 1 measure play as a free count-in. Loop recording though... meh. Although I have dumped the audio to PC from my loops and obviously I can trim the empty space and all is well.
recorder
Boss BR-800

vierge99

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 21, 2010, 11:05:27 AMI assume you're referring to the BR-800's loop recording feature. I don't have access to a BR-800 so I can't test this, but I would try using the auto punch-in feature (pages 46/47 of the BR-800 manual). Set DISP to Measure rather than Time so that you can specify measure 2 or 3 as the punch-in point. Use the metronome for your count-in, or the first measure of pattern P265:Cnty1 (see this message).

The punch-in/out feature DOES work as you suggest but has the same effect on loop recording. Funny thing from Boss too. I've got an RC-2 loop station at home that does auto-overdub. The newer VE-20 does it too. Why not the newest BR-800?? Wasn't it included in the list of devices from Boss that could be used in that loop recording contest they had?
recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: vierge99 on August 21, 2010, 07:03:34 PMThe punch-in/out feature DOES work as you suggest but has the same effect on loop recording.

Loop recording works by making enough copies of your track to fill about 200 measures when you stop recording. From what you've said, it sounds like it's copying from bar 1, beat 1 (00:00:00) to the point where you stop recording. In my opinion, that's a design error. It should only copy from the point where you actually start recording to the point where you stop recording. If it did that, then auto punch-in could be used to postpone the start of recording by as many measures as you need for a count-in, and those empty measures would not be included in the loop. Perhaps when Roland realises this, they'll offer a firmware update to correct the problem.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website