Suggestions & Ideas you have for the Community

Started by Pedro, December 28, 2007, 08:26:19 PM

launched

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on March 24, 2010, 03:55:25 PM
Quote from: 64Guitars on March 24, 2010, 03:47:12 PM
Quote from: Saijinn Maas on March 24, 2010, 03:39:59 PMDoes anyone think it would be kinda cool if we had a CLASSIFIEDS section?

Sorry. This was discussed over a year ago and we decided against any form of advertising on the site. There are lots of other places where you can sell your old gear. I'd rather keep this site ad-free.

Ah, I must have missed that.  Although, I don't see how making available our own stuff to the community is "advertising", as most communities have this. But no problem   ;)   Was just a thought.

Thanks  :)

I agree that the site should be ad-free, but it would be great to know if somebody was looking to get rid of a little gear...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Geir

With the overwhelming amount of new great stuff that's being posted here, there is one feature I'd like to see:

"Show all brand new posts"

that is : all new topics .. topics I haven't read at all ....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

That feature already exists. You'll find the link ("Show All Unread Topics") at the bottom of the "Featured song" box which is at the top of each page. I use it all the time.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

Quote from: 64Guitars on March 30, 2010, 08:02:39 AMThat feature already exists. You'll find the link ("Show All Unread Topics") at the bottom of the "Featured song" box which is at the top of each page. I use it all the time.
Ahh yes ... well ... no ... I don't think I was precise enough ... I want that list minus posts I've already commented on once ...

another option is if, when I select the "Show new replies to your posts." and then push "Mark ALL messages as read" that only those messages is marked as read, .... are they? I haven't dared do that yet because I thought it may mark EVERY message as read. If it doesn't I'm happy !!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ted

I think what Geir is talking about is a "Show Unread Topics" feature. Once I've looked at a topic--even if I don't post a reply--it becomes a topic that I've looked at regardless of how many new posts/replies I haven't seen.

Geir: I have a way of approximating this.  I sort by the number of replies.  Topics with the fewest replies are the ones that I'm less likely to have read.

I bookmark these:

All topics:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0;sort=replies

Originals:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=unread;board=91.0;sort=replies

General Discussion:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=unread;board=8.0;sort=replies

And if you really want to weed out the ones you've already seen, start by going to "Show new replies to your posts" and deal with those first.  If you click "Mark all messages as read" it only only affects the messages in the list you're viewing.  Then when you go to any of the URLS above, the top few topics ought to be be ones that you haven't seen at all.

A "Show unread topics" link would be a lot easier, wouldn't it?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

The board software considers any topic unread if it contains one or more unread messages. It could contain 30 messages that you've already read and only one new message that you have not read, and it will consider it an unread topic. When it marks a topic unread, it's merely indicating that the topic contains messages which weren't there the last time you looked at the topic. It doesn't mean that you haven't read any of the messages in that topic.

Ted: the mod you suggested only highlights topics that the board software has already marked . That seems redundant to me and doesn't serve your purpose as merely means that the topic contains one or more new messages since the last time you looked at the topic.

I understand what you want and I'll keep it in mind when I'm looking at the source code. If it keeps track of the time you last looked at the topic, there's probably a default time (possibly 0) when you haven't yet viewed the topic. If so, I could flag topics containing the default time. But it might use some other mechanism for flagging unread topics, which may or may not suit this purpose, so I'm not promising anything.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

OsCKilO

Is there a possibility of having a "Silent/Hidden" subscribe/follow  option.......?

One where we could subscribe to the new songs of members we listen to regularly....
Like on you tube, but subscribers are never disclosed (to anyone...Not even the member who is being subscribed to...)

I have missed posts from people and seen Comments where people are feeling neglected in certain boards......

It is not that we don’t want to listen... It's just that the boards are so busy that stuff may get lost in the mix....

The system would not be about popularity.....
Just a way of letting regular listeners know if something is Hot off the press.... With a PM or E-mail alert..

And data about subscribers to an artist  will never be made Knowledge to anyone....

Any Good?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

64Guitars

If I understand your request correctly, you want email notifications of new posts by certain members which you would specify. Do you want to be notified of all posts by those members or just the ones that have MP3s attached? If the latter, then posts with links to songs at SoundClick or elsewhere would not be included since there's no MP3 attachment. Would you want to be notified every time they post a message or just when they create a new topic?

The site already has an email notification system but it's based on topics and boards rather than members. If you want to try it, go to your Profile page and click on "Notifications and Email" in the menu at the left. You'll find several settings that you might want to experiment with.

To subscribe to a topic, simply click the NOTIFY button at the top or bottom of the page.

To subscribe to a board, select the board from the forum home page, then click the NOTIFY button at the top or bottom of the page.

After you've subscribed to one or more topics or boards, they'll be listed in the "Notifications and Email" page of your profile. From there, you can unsubscribe from any of the currently-subscribed topics or boards.

Every member's profile has a link at the bottom of the page to "Show the last posts of this person." You could keep a list of bookmarks in your web browser for the 'last posts' links of the members you want to follow. You can create a folder within your bookmarks just for this purpose, then add bookmarks to that folder for each member you want to follow. For example, here are the 'last posts' links for oldrottenhead and Geir:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=profile;u=4;sa=showPosts

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=profile;u=1228;sa=showPosts

When you click on one of those links, you'll get a list of all of the newest posts by that member, sorted by date and time in descending order so the newest posts are at the top. Each message in the list shows the date and time it was posted, so it's pretty easy to just look at today's posts, for example. It doesn't tell you if the messages have attachments, but you can click on the title of any message in the list to go to the actual topic.

Here's another feature of the site that some members might not be aware of. If you go to the site's home page (the Portal) and look in the "User Info" box at the top-left, you'll see links for "New original songs" and "New cover songs". Clicking these links will show you only the unread messages which have MP3s attached. There's a Play button beside each message so that you can listen to the song without actually loading the topic. And there's a Quick Reply option so that you can post a comment. However, this feature currently has a bug that I need to fix. It only works on the first song in the list.

Finally, the songs in the "Play all my songs" jukebox are listed in descending date/time order. So, you could bookmark the "Play all my songs" links of all of the members you want to follow, then simply check these periodically to see if they've posted any new songs.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

AndyR

Thanks for writing all that out 64 :)

I was thinking the same as OsCKilO, but there's some useful info there which I'll check out...

Probably, the "bottom-line" is that there's so much stuff on here, one person could never keep up with it all and find time to create some music to post! (Or do a job! :D - I've had the last two weeks off, so I've been able to browse/post during the day, and late at night... but my recent flurry of activity will probably go down again when I have to go back to the salt mines next week...)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1