Suggestions & Ideas you have for the Community

Started by Pedro, December 28, 2007, 08:26:19 PM

henwrench

Quote from: armeenis on April 14, 2014, 03:48:49 PMI know that the forums look the same for the most part and there isn't much anyone can do.  Just saying that stuff isn't pretty. Should I go in to details?
I don't understand why some people take it so personally.

Yes, tell me why this place isn't 'pretty'. This is a website dedicated to sound, not vision, but still I'd love to know why 'stuff isn't pretty'.

The only thing I 'take' personally is the satisfaction that I can post my shitty (and they really are crap) 'songs' here and other people can listen to 'em. It doesn't matter what my 'songs' look like, or whether anyone likes 'em, it's all about the fact that I can post 'em here for FREE. This site is FREE, I don't have to PAY SUBSCRIPTION charges, it's all FREE. And as it doesn't cost me a PENNY to give the world my shitty music, I really can't start on about ANYTHING, because I haven't had to PAY ANY MONEY, unlike the owner of the site, who RESISTS advertising and RESISTS CHARGING the users of this FREE site. To quote Neil Young, 'KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD'. And to quote my nan, 'BEGGARS CAN'T BE CHOOSERS'. God bless, accept fear through the love of Jesus Christ, who really was real and lived in a desert of chocolate camels and Coca-Cola coloured Santa's...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

Ted Nugent Rant
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Oh, Ted Nugent....

you tell 'em, Teddy....

The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gnasty

Can`t remember the last time it was in voting. Trying to get my daughter to sing. We gonna try familyfest again?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

Quote from: Gnasty on April 14, 2014, 04:59:39 PMCan`t remember the last time it was in voting. Trying to get my daughter to sing. We gonna try familyfest again?

I'll make "FamilyFest" one of my choices for the upcoming festival poll, along with "Current Top 10" for Hook. Whether they'll win or not, nobody can tell. But at least they'll be in the poll.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Speed Demon

I want to see rabbit turds dancing their way across the screen.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

armeenis

Dear henwrench, there are plenty of places where you can post and host your songs for free! But that's not my point.

I already said that I enjoy the forum! Did not mean to offend anyone. I simply believe that an awesome site like this deserves an appropriate visual representation!

Few examples... A pic of an old outhouse (or whatever) with a text "home sweet home" as a home button may have been cute around the time when internet started supporting jpg.
The blue sidebars with a million different banners, mismatched fonts and confusing navigation also doesn't help.

AndyR

^ :D

I think that's exactly why we likes it... to me, these banners and fonts all over the shop announce "you're home - no more having to worry about flashy visuals and the other @rsery that you have to deal-with/keep-up-with elsewhere just to stand still, let alone get ahead..."

It looks like songcrafters, it feels like songcrafters, it feels like there's current activity going on (rather than the place is dead/dying)... and there's nothing putting me off, making me feel like I'm not trendy enough to be here...

But that's just how I feel. Others will feel different.

And like Sir Hennie of Wrench sez - it's free and maintained by a chap who's doing it for love (either that or he's crazy)(or both?! :D)

EDIT: But when it changes visually (and it does from time to time), I accept that quite happily. Unless it doesn't run on my machine - then I go "hey??! er?" ... and that stuff gets fixed pretty darn quick :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

steelguitar

Quote from: AndyR on April 15, 2014, 12:54:45 AM^ :D

I think that's exactly why we likes it... to me, these banners and fonts all over the shop announce "you're home - no more having to worry about flashy visuals and the other @rsery that you have to deal-with/keep-up-with elsewhere just to stand still, let alone get ahead..."

It looks like songcrafters, it feels like songcrafters, it feels like there's current activity going on (rather than the place is dead/dying)... and there's nothing putting me off, making me feel like I'm not trendy enough to be here...

But that's just how I feel. Others will feel different.

And like Sir Hennie of Wrench sez - it's free and maintained by a chap who's doing it for love (either that or he's crazy)(or both?! :D)

EDIT: But when it changes visually (and it does from time to time), I accept that quite happily. Unless it doesn't run on my machine - then I go "hey??! er?" ... and that stuff gets fixed pretty darn quick :)

totally agree with it! 

Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Greeny

As there isn't a 'like' button on here, I'll have to manually express how much I like and agree with henwrench's post.

I like the straightforward, clean functionality of this site. Absolutely zero pretension, just listen and comment. And the way music is archived and searchable is perfect.

Plus (and it's a BIG plus), there's no advertising banners and shitty pop-ups and stuff. 

Billy Joel said it best (not the sweaty Barry White version):

"Don't go changing to try and please me... you never let me down before.... " etc etc

Quote from: henwrench on April 14, 2014, 04:09:35 PM
Quote from: armeenis on April 14, 2014, 03:48:49 PMI know that the forums look the same for the most part and there isn't much anyone can do.  Just saying that stuff isn't pretty. Should I go in to details?
I don't understand why some people take it so personally.

Yes, tell me why this place isn't 'pretty'. This is a website dedicated to sound, not vision, but still I'd love to know why 'stuff isn't pretty'.

The only thing I 'take' personally is the satisfaction that I can post my shitty (and they really are crap) 'songs' here and other people can listen to 'em. It doesn't matter what my 'songs' look like, or whether anyone likes 'em, it's all about the fact that I can post 'em here for FREE. This site is FREE, I don't have to PAY SUBSCRIPTION charges, it's all FREE. And as it doesn't cost me a PENNY to give the world my shitty music, I really can't start on about ANYTHING, because I haven't had to PAY ANY MONEY, unlike the owner of the site, who RESISTS advertising and RESISTS CHARGING the users of this FREE site. To quote Neil Young, 'KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD'. And to quote my nan, 'BEGGARS CAN'T BE CHOOSERS'. God bless, accept fear through the love of Jesus Christ, who really was real and lived in a desert of chocolate camels and Coca-Cola coloured Santa's...

henwrench

Hook

I also agree that I like the front page of the site and think it is by far the most appealing forum on the web; both in appearance,( I dig the banners, juckeboxes, collapsable menus & other useful features) & in functionality.. Songcrafters shines brilliantly over any other music forum or feature site.

Quote from: armeenis on April 14, 2014, 08:33:49 PMI already said that I enjoy the forum! Did not mean to offend anyone. I simply believe that an awesome site like this deserves an appropriate visual representation!

Few examples... A pic of an old outhouse (or whatever) with a text "home sweet home" as a home button may have been cute around the time when internet started supporting jpg.

I'm not entirely sure what your first example is referring to but the banners and links are actually what make this a community and not just a forum. The fests, samplers, jukeboxes & METS are what gives this site a soul & I'm glad they are different, bright & full of character & if more are needed I hope room will be made.
I'm not at all surprised that you've offended a member or 2, we tend to value the work & efforts of the admin team & often will be quick & adamant in our defense of them & the amazing work they do & have done.

There are many of sites & forums to post music for free, what makes this place different is the positive & encouraging nature of the site. There are no pompous producer windbags criticizing someone with much less experience, there is very little selfish promotion & no adds at all, just really great people who want to share their music & the process of making it. There is some serious knowledge among the members here and it's partly because of this positive environment that so much of it is shared freely out of a genuinely friendly desire to help. I don't see that crap happening in the same constant flow on any other home recording or songwriting forum. This is a community much more than a forum & I for one am grateful for that.
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely