Suggestions & Ideas you have for the Community

Started by Pedro, December 28, 2007, 08:26:19 PM

henwrench

Quote from: oldrottenhead on January 13, 2012, 07:15:14 AMi like playng the jukeboxes and festival players from time to time, espeially when i am too busy to be at the pc. which gave me an idea, tho i imagine it would be a lot of work for 64guitars.

the idea: each member picks their one favourite song by an other songcrafters member (no picking your own songs), a sort of best of songcrafters player and maybe even have it on the front page.

Too many great songs to choose from!!

What about a master shuffle player? Just all random Songcrafter weirdness?

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

henwrench

Quote from: oldrottenhead on January 13, 2012, 07:24:54 AMon the front page

Is there one already there?  ??? ???

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

just geir's song for a friend. not suggestin we remove that, but a songplayer on front page that visitors can click on to get an idea of what goes on here,i still like the idea of a best of songcrafters player tho.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

thetworegs

What about a master shuffle player? Just all random Songcrafter weirdness?

henwrench
[/quote] a great idea for a player a shuffle ....random weirdness always appeals .......to me anyway

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Geir

We do have the "Random Dozen" jukebox under [Jukeboxes]-[Member jukeboxes]. Maybe that could be on the front page (just not auto-start, I hate pages that gives sound withaout a warning ::) ).
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

henwrench

Quote from: Geir on January 13, 2012, 09:34:48 AMjust not auto-start, I hate pages that gives sound withaout a warning ::) ).

Amen to that... I hate stuff that does stuff without my being involved in the decision...GRRRR

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Burtog

Could be a sort of songcrafters radio thing playing constantly, you just have the option if you want to listen or not. A little bit like on certian MySpace pages for bands??
recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: oldrottenhead on January 13, 2012, 07:15:14 AMi like playng the jukeboxes and festival players from time to time, espeially when i am too busy to be at the pc. which gave me an idea, tho i imagine it would be a lot of work for 64guitars.

the idea: each member picks their one favourite song by an other songcrafters member (no picking your own songs), a sort of best of songcrafters player and maybe even have it on the front page.

We've talked about voting for favourite songs in the past and we decided that it's not a good idea because it can make those whose songs don't get selected feel unappreciated and inferior. Still, I often think it would be nice to find a way to highlight the gems. The key is to think of the selected songs not as "best" or "winners" but as "most popular". Popularity isn't necessarily a reflection of quality. It's just a reflection of the listeners' taste. The trouble is, people are conditioned to thinking of any list as representing the best. So it really wouldn't be fair to all of our members.

One idea I thought might be good is for everyone to have ther own jukebox of their favourite Songcrafters songs. Each member would manage their own playlist themselves. Any member could view and listen to any other member's playlist but, of course, each member can only edit their own playlist.

We already have a jukebox for which you can create your own playlist:

https://songcrafters.org/Festivals/mp3player.html

Unfortunately, it never caught on. I don't think anyone knew how to make their own playlists and use the player to play them. Perhaps, if I made it easier it might get more use? Maybe I could give each member a dedicated playlist file which they'd never actually see. Instead, they'd add songs by clicking an "Add to favourites" button on the song post.  To remove a song from their playlist, they'd go to a special page which would list all of the songs in their playlist with a checkbox beside each one. Clicking the "Remove" button would remove all of the songs that are checked. I'd probably limit the playlist to perhaps 20 songs. That way, you can't just keep adding every song you like to it. You have to decide which 20 songs are your favourites. In this way, we could showcase the most popular songs through these jukeboxes without having any kind of vote. And there'd be no master list of the "best", so it would be reasonably fair to all members.

Anyone interested? It's a fair bit of work for me, so I don't want to do it if nobody's going to use it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: henwrench on January 13, 2012, 07:23:02 AMWhat about a master shuffle player? Just all random Songcrafter weirdness?

We already have the Random Dozen (just click on the "Member Jukeboxes" button at the top of the page). To get another dozen, click "Random" at the top of the member list which is in the right panel of the jukebox.

There's also a "Shuffle Mode" button on each of the jukeboxes (Latest Songs, On This Day, Member Jukeboxes, and festivals). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work properly (for me anyway). It only cycles through about a half-dozen songs, then repeats the same songs in the same order. There seems to be a bug in the player. I can't fix it because it's written in Adobe Flash and I don't have any Flash development tools. But give it a try. It might work only in certain browsers or under a certain operating system. Or maybe it depends on the version of Flash that's installed on your computer. All I know for sure is that it doesn't work right for me using Firefox under Linux.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website