Suggestions & Ideas you have for the Community

Started by Pedro, December 28, 2007, 08:26:19 PM

Geir

^ not a bad idea !

It could result in quite a bit of maintance work for the admins, unless we could each put a link to the song in our profile information and then get a jukebox list generated from that. Or something like that.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

I think this would be too difficult to implement right now, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. The biggest problem is giving the member the ability to decide which of his songs is included. It would be much simpler if the admin team picked one song from each of the regularly-posting members. But I'm not sure if that's practical. I'll discuss it with the admin team to see if we can come up with something.

In the meantime, the link at the top of the page is a jukebox containing all of the songs uploaded by members. Click "Random" to hear 12 songs chosen randomly, or click on a member's name at the right to listen to songs posted by that member.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

phantasm777

i have a suggestion that drummers deserve a seperate category from just being - other instruments! :)

64Guitars

Quote from: phantasm777 on October 29, 2011, 04:30:56 PMi have a suggestion that drummers deserve a seperate category from just being - other instruments! :)

None of the Instruments sub-categories ("Guitars and Basses", "Vocals", "Other Instruments") get much activity. And since we only have a few drummers here, I don't think a separate category for drummers is necessary at this time.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

most days i like to check out the new song player, whilst that is on i can get on with other things, housework and other stuff that she who must be obeyed has ordained i must do etc.

that way i can catch most new posts and get on with my life at the same time, however, stuff that is posted via off site links ie soundclick, reverb nation alonetone etc are not always on there,

so it would be nice to have all posts there, probably a logistical nightmare and not feasible but that's my suggestion.

ps: i remember when 64guitars instigated the new song player and i was worried folk would listen to that and not comment on the songs, but hats off to 64guitars , it's braw tell yer maw. and for all us sad auld nostalgia freaks ( i'm not really a nostalgia freak, just suffer from short term memory loss) the on this day player is FMGWABP pure stoatinbyrawaymananawratt
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Yeah, that's a problem which I've been aware of for a long time. It's not easy to fix. We need a separate song table in the database where all of the details about a song can be stored, including where it's located. I've done some work on this but it's going to be a while before it's complete. Until then, the only way that the automatic jukeboxes (Latest Songs, On This Day, and Member Jukeboxes) can locate songs is if they're attached to a message. That's because the standard SMF software which the site runs on includes an Attachments table in the database. The jukeboxes simply query the Attachments table for all attachments with the extension ".mp3". But the URLs of songs hosted offsite are not stored in the database except in the text of the message (and not even there in the case of SoundClick, ReverbNation, etc). So there's no way to query the database for the URLs of offsite songs. When the song table is working, you'll be prompted to enter the URL of your song every time you create a new topic in one of the song boards. If you're attaching your song, you can leave the URL blank. But, if your song is hosted offsite, you'll have to enter the URL so that the jukeboxes can locate it.

By the way, Andy's cover of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is attached to his post, not offsite, so it would have appeared in the Latest Songs jukebox.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Burtog

Just a thought 64,

With the page re-vamp I was wondering if the recent posts list could be extended, I think there may be a bit of room if an item was moved to the left??

The new style is good by the way!

Cheers

;)
recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: Burtog on January 11, 2012, 12:51:54 AMWith the page re-vamp I was wondering if the recent posts list could be extended, I think there may be a bit of room if an item was moved to the left??

I've changed the Recent Posts block so that it displays topics instead of individual posts. It still displays 10 items, but each topic will only be listed once, even though there may be several recent posts for that topic. With the old way, you'd often see several replies to the same topic with each reply taking up one of the 10 slots in the Recent Posts block. But now, multiple replies to the same topic are condensed into a single slot in the Recent Posts block. So, even though the number of items hasn't changed (it's still 10), the Recent Posts block shows more posts by condensing them into topics.

You can also view as many recent posts as you like by clicking on the Recent Posts link. You'll find it at the bottom of the right panel if your screen is large enough to display it. If your screen is too small, go to Links in the main menu at the top of the page, then Songcrafters.org, then Recent Posts.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

henwrench

^^^^^^^
  That's cool!

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

i like playng the jukeboxes and festival players from time to time, espeially when i am too busy to be at the pc. which gave me an idea, tho i imagine it would be a lot of work for 64guitars.

the idea: each member picks their one favourite song by an other songcrafters member (no picking your own songs), a sort of best of songcrafters player and maybe even have it on the front page.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann