boss launch the micro br80 to replace the micro br

Started by Oldrottenhead, April 06, 2011, 03:37:18 AM

Gnasty

Is it April fool`s again? Just wondering if this post is real?

That mechanism not only sounds amazing but looks better than any gadget from any Star Trek episode.

No matter what! One of those WILL be mine as soon as it is launched!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

I'm sure they're lying, but Musician's Friend says they expect the BR-80 to be available April 15th for $299 US.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=H73443

Sweetwater is advertising the same price but expects it in June.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BR80/

I think July is more realistic, and it might be even later than that.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

Damn, don`t really want to wait that long but i`ll be patient.

Those buttons look like they won`t break too which is a selling point for me too ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Oldrottenhead

i need to figure out my original mbr before i upgrade, looping is something ive done in daws but my original mbr (is that the correct terminology 64?) i now am lead to believe can do that too.

a luv ma wee silver box, upgrading will be like adultery.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Tony W

I might be in the severe minority, and this may come as a shock to most of you, but I'm very skeptical of the BR-80 after getting my hands on a BR-800. It's the first piece of equipment that I really regret buying based on reputation and anticipation. The lack of track editing really frustrated me, and left a bad taste in my mouth. I just assumed it would be there, since all previous models had it.

I'm not a software guy, I never will be. I want a finished postable MP3 by the time I'm done with the hardware. I want to dump mp3's on the device to play along with, whether it be a collab or a jam track. To me, the lack of Mp3 support on the 800 crushed me. Between conversion and import, the process takes 10 times as long as the MBR.

So that leads me to the questions that I feel are still unanswered.

As you may know, I spend a whole lot more time with the instruments to get a final product than most of you, so I want a painless and efficient way to finish off a piece of music. I didn't see a mastering tool kit, or any way to go into mastering effects? Did anyone else? Is that what Eband is supposed to do?

Just how MP3 capable is the device? I see that they can be imported, sped up, slowed down, etc, but can you use them for importable tracks?

That's just a couple questions I have.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Quote from: Tony W on April 06, 2011, 06:45:32 PMThe lack of track editing really frustrated me, and left a bad taste in my mouth. I just assumed it would be there, since all previous models had it.
I'm with you there Tony, if it has no track editing then it would be not worth it for me.

I can't wait to see a manual...................................

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: Tony W on April 06, 2011, 06:45:32 PMI want a painless and efficient way to finish off a piece of music. I didn't see a mastering tool kit, or any way to go into mastering effects? Did anyone else?

Without seeing the manual, it's hard to say for certain exactly what the BR-80 includes or doesn't include. But the web site says:

"The intuitive user-interface continues the simple-to-use tradition of BOSS' acclaimed BR series, with a graphical design that follows the layout of a conventional recording console. With EQ, reverb, and mastering tools plus, world-class COSM amps and effects for guitar, bass, and vocals the BR-80 is ready to deliver complete, pro-quality recordings with ease."

Also, I grabbed this screenshot from the video:

It shows that the main menu includes items for Mastering/Bounce as well as Track Edit. Of course, we can't tell how extensive either of those are.

QuoteIs that what Eband is supposed to do?

No. eBand is supposed to give you some of the functionality of this:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/JS-8/index.html

I think it's a sort of karaoke for guitar players. It plays backing tracks and midi files for you to noodle over.

QuoteJust how MP3 capable is the device? I see that they can be imported, sped up, slowed down, etc, but can you use them for importable tracks?

In reference to the Live Rec, eBand, and multitrack modes, they say "You can even combine the three modes seamlessly." I assume that means you can import just about anything from the Live Rec and eBand modes into a track in multitrack mode. But again, without a manual, it's hard to know for sure.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tony W

Awesome information 64. I knew I should have watched that video when nothing else was distracting me. The track edit with a pair of scissors implies cutting at least!

I already know I'm going to buy one, but I'm quite a bit more hesitant than I was prior to picking up the 800.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

I love how the mastering and bouncing (From what the photo implies) were combined on the new unit. There is no difference between mastering/bouncing on the current model, except for the ability to record another track while bouncing, which never made sense to me anyway.

And, it looks like there is track editing which makes this a well rounded upgrade!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

Effects include Guitar-to-Bass patches like the BR-800 so you can use a regular guitar to play bass.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website