boss launch the micro br80 to replace the micro br

Started by Oldrottenhead, April 06, 2011, 03:37:18 AM

guitarron

Quote from: henwrench on April 06, 2011, 10:48:13 AMIt does look very interesting.....

Can you record using just one mic? No good having those extra tracks if they all get eaten up with having to record stereo lead and backing vocals...maybe a BR-800 owner can answer this...

i think you could record using both mics to a mono track

agree on the faders issue-still is a tempting little devil

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

looking better and better.....................I wonder if you could get two and hook them together to get infinite tracks like Tharek used to do back in his more avant-garde days of recording.......................

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

dasilvasings

I told you, but no, no one believed me!  ;D

It looks excellent, but I'll wait for some of your first impression before buying.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Bluesberry on April 07, 2011, 05:00:41 AMI wonder if you could get two and hook them together to get infinite tracks like Tharek used to do back in his more avant-garde days of recording.......................

Sure you could, but there's no need. Any BR is capable of infinite tracks on its own through bouncing. I don't see any advantage to hooking two recorders together. I assume we're talking about Line Out from one BR to Line In of the other. One drawback of that would be that you're converting from digital to analog, then from analog back to digital with each transfer, which will degrade the signal, if only slightly. With bouncing, the signal remains digital so the quality doesn't degrade. The only advantage I can think of to hooking two BRs together is that it might be easier to relate to for newbies who don't understand bouncing. But it's really just old-fashioned analog bouncing like George Martin and The Beatles used to do with tape machines in the early sixties. If a newbie can understand that, then he should be able to understand modern digital bouncing. The concept is the same but instead of recording the analog output of one recorder to an empty pair of tracks on the other recorder, you simply record the digital mix of the currently-selected v-tracks to an empty pair of v-tracks.

A better way to connect two BRs together is with midi. But only the BR-1600 version 2 can do that. The BR-80 doesn't even have midi, and those BRs that do have midi can only work as the midi master. Connecting two BRs together via midi requires that one BR is master and one is slave. Only the BR-1600 v2 is capable of being a midi slave. See the Roland US Knowledge Base article 104285. Connecting via midi in this way synchronizes the recorders so that pressing Play on the master recorder starts both recorders playing. Zeroing the counter zeroes both recorders, and so on. If you connect two 8-track recorders in this way, you've virtually got a 16-track recorder.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bluesberry

Hahahaha, 64G, I was just goofing around, I was remembering how excited Tharek was when he first contemplated the possibility of hooking two microBR's toghether........twas such innocent times of exploration and madness wasn't it................

But why not connect two together line in to line out and line in to line out in a closed loop, it would probably open up a tangent universe and threaten to colapse this current universe unless the loop could be made to merge unto itself through a sheer act of musical will, a mighty howl of power chords and feedback, and then silence.  The energy that would be created would be enough to power a small city, and a huge blast of white light, then it would all subside and you would be left with nothing but one microBR, singed hair, and a strange memory, almost like a dream really, that something incredible just happened..................

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: Bluesberry on April 07, 2011, 11:12:59 AMHahahaha, 64G, I was just goofing around

You got me.  :-[   And April Fools Day was almost a week ago. :)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

FuzzFace

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 07, 2011, 09:03:11 AMThe only advantage I can think of to hooking two BRs together...

Either that or creating the ultimate Doomsday Device.

AndyR

Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on April 07, 2011, 11:28:25 AM
Quote from: 64Guitars on April 07, 2011, 09:03:11 AMThe only advantage I can think of to hooking two BRs together...

Or maybe if I could get one recorder to tell the other one which song I want recorded, then I could just sit back and relax, mebbe offering useful advice from time to time about guitar fills or vocal harmonies...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

FuzzFace

Quote from: AndyR on April 07, 2011, 11:45:34 AM
Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on April 07, 2011, 11:28:25 AM

Or maybe if I could get one recorder to tell the other one which song I want recorded, then I could just sit back and relax, mebbe offering useful advice from time to time about guitar fills or vocal harmonies...

The BR Band!

I would pay to see that.

dasilvasings

QuoteBut why not connect two together line in to line out and line in to line out in a closed loop, it would probably open up a tangent universe and threaten to colapse this current universe unless the loop could be made to merge unto itself through a sheer act of musical will, a mighty howl of power chords and feedback, and then silence.  The energy that would be created would be enough to power a small city, and a huge blast of white light, then it would all subside and you would be left with nothing but one microBR, singed hair, and a strange memory, almost like a dream really, that something incredible just happened..................

Poetry to my ears!
recorder
Boss Micro BR