boss launch the micro br80 to replace the micro br

Started by Oldrottenhead, April 06, 2011, 03:37:18 AM

64Guitars

Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on April 13, 2011, 04:46:37 PMI have only recently started watching for clipping in Audacity but as far as I know, the MBR does not highlight clipping.

Do any of these options, MBR, BR-80 or BR-800 show you audio clipping?

None of the BRs actually have a clipping indicator for record levels (I wish they did). But the level meters can give you a pretty good idea of whether you're getting clipping or not.

The Micro BR doesn't have any numbers next to the level meters to show what the six segments of the level meters represent. But other BRs do. Here's the display of the BR-900:

Notice the numbers 0, -6, and -24 at the right of the display. These are relative decibel levels where 0 is the maximum signal that can be digitally recorded. Any signals that go above 0dB will be clipped.

But how can we tell if the signal goes above 0db when there are no segments above 0db in the level meter? Well, consider this. Whenever a segment is lit, all of the segments below it are also lit. When a segment is unlit, all of the segments above it are also unlit. Now let's imagine that the BR has a seventh segment above the 0dB segment. We'll call it +3dB. If the +3dB segment lights, the signal is definitely clipped because it went above 0dB. If we look at track 4 in the display above, we can see that the top segment (0dB) is unlit. Therefore, we know that the +3dB segment will also be unlit because every segment above an unlit segment is always unlit. But in track 6, the top segment is lit. That means that the signal reached at least 0dB. If it only reached 0dB and went no further, then the +3dB segment will be unlit. That's okay because no clipping has occurred. But if it went above 0dB, the +3dB segment would probably be lit and the signal will be clipped.

So, the obvious way to avoid clipping is to make sure that the top segment of the level meter never lights. If the top segment never lights, then the signal isn't reaching 0dB. Therefore, it can't possibly go above 0dB. In reality, it's okay if the top segment lights as long as it is very brief and infrequent. But if it lights frequently or stays lit for more than a second, then you'll probably have clipping.

So always watch your level meters and adjust your levels so that the top segment seldom, if ever, lights, and you will enjoy clean, clip-free recordings.

QuoteAnd is this related to the question of physical knobs versus +/- button... because I don't exactly see the connection.

No, it's not related. I only brought up the topic of level meters because you said that you set your levels by ear with your eyes closed. I just wanted to point out why that's not a good idea. Listening is important, of course. But so are the level meters. You need to watch them carefully while setting your levels if you want to avoid clipping distortion.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: Kenneth on April 10, 2011, 03:23:08 PMDont know if I missed but are they (models, effects) based on the GT10?

In this video (at about 1:06), Rob Marcello says "the guitar engine is pretty much a GT-10".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9byjoakUY

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

kurrykid

I think most of the veterans are familiar with Tony Houston from the Boss site (is it his brother that works for Roland?).  In this video, at about the 3:00 mark, he says the COSM effects on the BR-800 are based on the GT-10 processor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLHqIFQEFhg

Just thought it was cool that he pointed that out.

Dmann

Just the fact that it's upgraded to support "current" tech like usb 2.0 and 64GB flash cards makes it worth upgrading IMO. heh a 64 Gig card would last me years before needing to dump it, Add in everything else they have put in there and the real question is why wouldn't you upgrade?

I'm buying one for sure.

Kenneth

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 14, 2011, 08:56:33 AM
Quote from: Kenneth on April 10, 2011, 03:23:08 PMDont know if I missed but are they (models, effects) based on the GT10?

In this video (at about 1:06), Rob Marcello says "the guitar engine is pretty much a GT-10".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9byjoakUY

A GT-10 sells for $499 at musicians friend, so that makes it a deal right there, even though it is for a different application.... plug this into an amp? lol
Yea, I think i'm convinced... it sounds like a great unit,i'll be looking to get one.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Geir

Looks more and more like a BR800 squezed into a Micro-box to me. With some new improvements on the USB/SDcard side ....

Now how can I defend getting one, when I already got the 800 ???

..... hmmmm .... if they'd only made it 16 tracks ::) ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Redler

Quote from: Geir on April 18, 2011, 11:24:30 PMNow how can I defend getting one, when I already got the 800 ???

Me too...I'm afraid that in the future there will be a recorder for each weekday in my "studio"! I don't mind sell any of them :).

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

IanR

Given that Roland Australia says that they will RRP for $379.00 (in aussie dollars), which is less than what I paid for the MBR  a couple of years ago,  I might just have to "fake" a serious disastrous malfunction in the MBR to justify a new purchase. 

cheers,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

64Guitars

Quote from: IanR on April 22, 2011, 01:47:23 AMGiven that Roland Australia says that they will RRP for $379.00 (in aussie dollars), which is less than what I paid for the MBR  a couple of years ago,  I might just have to "fake" a serious disastrous malfunction in the MBR to justify a new purchase.

$379 isn't the RRP. It's the new "SSP" (Suggested Selling Price).

http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/articles/default.aspx?a=20293

From what they say, it sounds like the old RRP pricing included GST and the new SSP does not. Or have I got that wrong?

Anyway, Aussies are still getting screwed. Online retailers in the US are advertising the BR-80 for $299. At today's exchange rate, $379 AU is $407.05 US. So Roland Australia is charging 36 percent more than American retailers. How do they reckon that's "globally competitive" pricing?

Australia is closer to Japan than the US is, so shipping costs shouldn't be any more. So how can they justify a 36% higher price? I think they're just greedy.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website