boss launch the micro br80 to replace the micro br

Started by Oldrottenhead, April 06, 2011, 03:37:18 AM

64Guitars

My first impression is that it's a huge improvement on the original Micro BR. Although, I have no interest in getting one myself. Small recorders don't appeal to me because I have no need or use for the extreme portability and I prefer a machine that's big enough to stay put on the table and not go crashing to the floor every time I turn or stand up. And I'm with Blooby on the faders. I wouldn't consider any recorder that didn't have decent faders.

But I realise that I'm very much in the minority here and I don't want to rain on your parade. So I'm very happy that Roland has announced this new recorder. And I'm especially happy that they've finally left the 1GB limit behind (it's about time, Roland!). Now if anyone asks which Boss recorder to buy, it's easy to answer. Get a BR-800 or a BR-80 and don't even consider any of the older BRs because of their 1GB limit (unless, of course, the music shops are practically giving them away to clear out the old stock).

The name is going to be confusing. When people say "Micro BR", we'll never know which one they're referring to. I think we should refer to the new one as the BR-80 and not use the name "Micro BR" for it. And we should call the old one the original Micro BR to make it clear that we're not referring to the BR-80. It's too bad that the original Micro BR doesn't have a convenient model number like BR-4. That would make things a lot simpler.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

henwrench

It does look very interesting.....

Can you record using just one mic? No good having those extra tracks if they all get eaten up with having to record stereo lead and backing vocals...maybe a BR-800 owner can answer this...

On the fader side of things...(Blooby! 64!)  When I first got my MBR, and being as 'old school' as I am, I too was not to impressed with the no fader thing, but after working with the machine for a while, I realized the MASSIVE potential of dialling in volume values....instant recall!! If you're working on more than one song simultaneously, the advantage of reloading the song and having all your mix levels restored is, quite simply, wonderful. 'Back in the day', this kind of recall, automated faders, cost thousands of pounds. I find so much time is saved not having to restore any levels and I can get on with the business of making an unholy row.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: launched on April 06, 2011, 10:17:21 AMTwo things that I could not find out about in the literature:

1. Track editing
2. Drum pattern editing (Or at least the ability to import drum track editor files)

The video mentions that you can import standard midi files into the drum machine. That alone will free users from being tied to only the built-in patterns. I sure hope Roland has enough sense to finally add midi export capabilities to the BR Rhythm Editor. Then you could use it to create new patterns, export them as standard midi files, and import the midi files into the BR-80 as patterns. If they don't update the BR Rhythm Editor, you could always do the same thing with Hydrogen. It already has midi file export, so you could create new patterns in Hydrogen to be imported into the BR-80. The only disadvantage of using Hydrogen for this is that it doesn't have access to the BR-80's drum kits, so your patterns will sound slightly different on the BR-80 than they do in Hydrogen. But it should be close enough to allow you to develop some good custom patterns for your songs. Once those patterns are imported into the BR-80, you could use them in arrangements the same way that you use the preset patterns. Custom patterns and preset patterns could also be used together in the same arrangement.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BuleriaChk

I know this is too much to ask, but if they include ToneLoad, I'll buy it in a NY second.....
But, sheesh, why not?  Then they could even use the Rhythm Editor with it.....

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

AndyR

Yep, it sounds like a huge improvement over the original. I'm not sure I can justify owning one though :D.

It's the portable 8, EIGHT!! simultaneous tracks that grabs me. I know I've managed to do backing vox on the Original MBR, but it was so much hard work compared to the BR1600.

It applies to working out guitars etc as well. With only 4 simultaneous tracks, stick a guide bass and a guide vocal down and I've only got room for two parts before I have to start bouncing and commiting to things. Now this kind of forces discipline in a very good way - it forces me to think and make decisions rather than continually noodling and painting new colours onto a thing. But it also means that I don't reach for the MBR if I want to experiment in "sound" - arrangements, that sort of thing. The BR1600 is the beast for that sort of work for me. The MBR is still really useful for songwriting with just me and a guitar (or keyboard) - record my mumblings and go and make the dinner... and the song still exists half an hour later! :)

But there is a downside to the BR1600 for me. It's that I've nowhere to leave it set up all the time (with the accompanying mic stands etc). So at the moment I tend to need a decent amount of "session" time booked in the Russe schedule before I get the thing out. (I know - all these little issues are really only "reasons not to do anything", a kind of "the vibes aren't right, ma-an..." :D)

But if you can use the BR-80 to record 6 mono vocals against a rough stereo mix, well, I can see me being able to use it to rough out vocal parts really easily while I've got a private 5 mins sat on the pot (for example).

And really, for rough arranging of bass/guitar/vocal stuff, even quite complex stuff, who needs more than 8 digital tracks?!

I'd be surprised if the BR-80 has editable rhythm - but that would be another plus for me (and 3/4 stuff?? I need 3s quite a lot it seems...)

All in all, yes, I feel the stirrings of GAS. I feel disloyal to my little MBR, though :D (even though I only used it solidly for a year or so). And I do suspect that the BR-80 doesn't really give me facilities I don't have already. Even if I had one right now, I'd still find an excuse to sit here on the sofa instead of using it!

And I'm with Henny - I really thought I'd miss faders, but the MBR gave me two things: First, the retrievable settings which are so useful you don't notice them. But second, and possibly more important, it taught me not to mess with levels needlessly during a mix. Get the track and it's dynamics right in the playing, and then set the thing in the mix and leave it.... seems to produce far better mixes than when I was let loose with automated track envelopes in a DAW!!

I shall be watching this with great interest. I'm sure there will be a flurry of folks getting them early on. I don't expect me to be one of the first on here though (don't rule it out, you never know! :D)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

The BR-80 comes with Cakewalk SONAR X1 LE software which looks quite good.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONARLE/feature.aspx/About-SONAR-LE

I'm not sure how SONAR X1 LE differs from the SONAR 8.5 LE that comes with the BR-800, as I haven't looked very closely at either of them. I assume that X1 is the latest version in the SONAR line and supercedes 8.5.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

I've updated our Links page with direct links to the BR-80 pages of all the major Roland and Boss sites. That should make it more convenient to find all the latest info, pictures, videos, etc. to feed your GAS. :)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

henwrench

As long as it's possible to record with one mic, I'm definately gonna get one....

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

i wonder also if you can do as greeny does with his electro acoustic, record via mic and guitar input at the same time, now if you could do that through both mics and line in to 3 tracks or even 4 if you are using a stereo patch that would be something.

i'm really interested in getting one as when i record using my juno di  i do so via the line in to 2 tracks to get a stereo recording, so that involves lots of bouncing on the original micro br.

i am getting seriously wet.

regarding recording with one mic, that is one of the plusses of the mbr, i can hold it in my hand and give it laldy.

that said if that cant be done you can always delete the spare track, but all those extra vocal effects, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann