What does your home studio look like?

Started by SdC, May 13, 2009, 04:15:20 AM

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: SteveB on July 10, 2009, 12:14:44 AMBSZ - I have written elsewhere in other posts, that I have never, ever, bought into this 'Artist-who-doesn't-care-what-people-think-of-their-work' stance. Everybody cares. We may be driven by personal compulsion which emanates from a place within ourselves which we have difficulty in describing to someone else, but nevertheless, it is what pushes us on. Think of the sleepless nights, the long walks, the coffee, the cigarettes, the looking at the sky, the sitting by the lake, or in the park, the reading newspapers or books, the endless practicing to find the right chord or sound, the frayed relationships with loved-ones, the missed dates, and on and on and on...

SteveB, well said also.  And I agree.  I will say that I write music that I like first and foremost.  I never write music for the sole purpose of trying to please anyone else.  However, to say that I don't care if other people like it would certainly be a lie.  Granted, there was a time early on when I first started writing and recording and hadn't a clue what I was doing, and at that point, I truly didn't care if anyone else liked it (because I was sure they wouldn't ;D).  But thanks to the encouraging words of everyone who has taken the time to listen to my music, whether family and friends in "real life," people on myspace, or now, fellow musicians here in the forum, I certainly DO care if people like my music or not.  And anyone who takes the time to post here in the forum -- or put their work out there in ANY publicly accessible manner -- definitely cares what other people think.  They are lying if they say otherwise.
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Blooby on July 10, 2009, 10:02:28 AMI am of the mindset that if my living were tied to a paycheck through music, most of the enjoyment would drain from it.

If I can carve out some time in the future, I'd play out again, but right now, I'm content to just play, to create, be it by myself or with friends.  I get a lot of satisfaction through the interactions on this board as well.

It validates my obsession.  Why am I typing this at work anyway?  Back to the grind.

Peace.

Blooby

So I'm gathering most here would call it not a hobby, but an obsession.  Sounds about right.
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Tony W

Hobby/Obsession/Evolution.

I am one of the few who have recently crossed the line. for years I wanted to play well enough to entertain friends around a campfire. I never practiced, when I did I was frustrated with how difficult it was, and kept quitting.

3 months ago if someone were to ask me if I play, I would have said, no. Today I can say yes, I play the guitar. I consider that a bold statement within the confines of THIS forum.

Music was never a major part of my life, I was a listener at best. There was a magnetic draw to playing, and secretly I want to sing too. I decided to commit to practicing at least twice a week in April. I joined this site around the same time.

When I started to feel comfortable here, something happened that I didn't anticipate. I was encouraged to post my work. While I knew it sucked (anyone who listened should confirm this if they were not compelled to be polite), Tony J (Witchita) asked if I would like to hear what my music could turn into. He posted a colab of my terrible rhythm and he played lead over the top of it. When I listened to this post: https://songcrafters.org/community/micro-br-b65/re-my-first-recording/msg19250/#msg19250 My hobby transitioned into an obsession. Tony J will hold a special place in my heart for that.

This obsession has led to areas where I never expected them to go. I stumbled on to Mike's (48) blues lessons, and pondered it for a couple weeks before giving it a shot. I was terrified of the disappointment that I was about to embark upon. I never dreamed that I could progress like I have thanks to the patience and generosity of Mike. Today he posted ME playing the blues in the colab section. Today is the day I become a lifer as a musician. I don't know what is in store for me. I'm pretty certain that this hobby/obsession/evolution will probably never earn me a coin, and it certainly won't pay for itself financially, but I don't give a shit about that. I'm taking this journey to satisfy whatever it is inside me that has led me down this trail.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tangled Wires

Quote from: Tony W on July 10, 2009, 10:47:21 AMHobby/Obsession/Evolution.

I am one of the few who have recently crossed the line. for years I wanted to play well enough to entertain friends around a campfire. I never practiced, when I did I was frustrated with how difficult it was, and kept quitting.

3 months ago if someone were to ask me if I play, I would have said, no. Today I can say yes, I play the guitar. I consider that a bold statement within the confines of THIS forum.

Music was never a major part of my life, I was a listener at best. There was a magnetic draw to playing, and secretly I want to sing too. I decided to commit to practicing at least twice a week in April. I joined this site around the same time.

When I started to feel comfortable here, something happened that I didn't anticipate. I was encouraged to post my work. While I knew it sucked (anyone who listened should confirm this if they were not compelled to be polite), Tony J (Witchita) asked if I would like to hear what my music could turn into. He posted a colab of my terrible rhythm and he played lead over the top of it. When I listened to this post: https://songcrafters.org/community/micro-br-b65/re-my-first-recording/msg19250/#msg19250 My hobby transitioned into an obsession. Tony J will hold a special place in my heart for that.

This obsession has led to areas where I never expected them to go. I stumbled on to Mike's (48) blues lessons, and pondered it for a couple weeks before giving it a shot. I was terrified of the disappointment that I was about to embark upon. I never dreamed that I could progress like I have thanks to the patience and generosity of Mike. Today he posted ME playing the blues in the colab section. Today is the day I become a lifer as a musician. I don't know what is in store for me. I'm pretty certain that this hobby/obsession/evolution will probably never earn me a coin, and it certainly won't pay for itself financially, but I don't give a shit about that. I'm taking this journey to satisfy whatever it is inside me that has led me down this trail.

Truly inspirational Tony, I know where you are coming from completely and this site had the same effect on me. Perhaps we would all secretly like to make some money from what we do musically, but it is not the be all and end all, and it is always the music that comes first.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman_1957

I think I may be the reverse of many on here. I'm "winding down" as far as music is concerned and really enjoying it as a hobby and creative outlet. From the age of 11, all I wanted to do was play guitar and be in a band. I tried quite hard, starting gigging in a band while at school and forming a "serious" band at University. When I left in Uni 1978, I tried really hard to make it make it in the music business for the next 10 years, recording demos, playing gigs around London and the South East, financing our own records, kissing up to A&R men, gig promoters, record labels and various other low lives. Got quite close to being signed at one point but never made it. So since 1989 I have done very little except join a couple of "work" bands at different workplaces and played the odd work Xmas party. I've always meant to record some of the material from my playing days that never got recorded but never got round to it until I got the MBR and joined this forum. I'm now playing more music than I have since the 1980s and enjoying it more than I ever have, thanks to the encouragement of this forum. I have no pretensions of making anything out of what I am doing apart from having fun and getting the IMMENSE satisfaction of positive feedback from my peers here. It's not (quite) an obsession, I was that way in the 80s. For me, it really is about enjoying creating music. Mind you, this place could become the obsession!

Cheers,

Nigel

Ted

This topic has taken an interesting turn--and I like it!

Quote from: SteveB on July 10, 2009, 12:14:44 AMBSZ - I have written elsewhere in other posts, that I have never, ever, bought into this 'Artist-who-doesn't-care-what-people-think-of-their-work' stance.
It is when we finally let our babies go, that is when we are at our most vulnerable.
And what do we get in return? Usually obscurity and penury. But ask yourself, would you really give-up your talent and driving force just to become a Listener?

Bravo, SteveB!  When I first read that from you, I expected it to be a little more controversial here, and I'm happily surprised that it isn't!

Just because a musician doesn't aspire to be commercially successful doesn't mean he/she isn't seeking approval, praise, recognition, or some response from some community of listeners.  I was initially drawn to musicianship by the prospects Punk offered for chastising my high school classmates: A rebellious kid seeking negative attention.

Recent research into the function of music in human evolution suggests that music is both social glue, and an auditory analog of a peacock's feathers.

Here's a good/relevant article:

Why music? (The Economist -- Dec 18th 2008)
Biologists are addressing one of humanity's strangest attributes, its all-singing, all-dancing culture

So, yeah, we want some kind of attention.  And it's no surprise to me that our most intense musical experiences tend to come during our prime peacock years--that period of about 10 years when our balls and then our frontal lobes kick in.  And after that, we tend to "wind down," as Nigel said.

But, as Pete Townshend said, older musicians are "always looking for [their] first fuck."

QuoteOf course, you can never have that first fuck, but you're always looking for it. Occasionally, you get very close. Always chasing the same feeling, the same magic.

I'd love to discuss this with y'all.  Perhaps it needs its own separate topic.

I'm struggling with recording a song right now, trying to get it right, re-recording parts, staying up until 3 AM--basically "going all AndyR" on myself (to coin a phrase).  You think I'm going to keep it to myself?  Hell no!

Ironically--or perhaps appropriately--the song is about narcissism.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Bluesberry

Quote"going all AndyR"
Now that is a great phrase!  I may have to use that myself next time I get all obsessive about my latest song-in-the-works.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ted

Quote from: Bluesberry on July 10, 2009, 02:04:14 PM
Quote"going all AndyR"
Now that is a great phrase!  I may have to use that myself next time I get all obsessive about my latest song-in-the-works.
The danger in using that expression when referring to yourself, is that people may hold you to that standard.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Bluesberry

Quote from: Ted on July 10, 2009, 02:13:13 PM
Quote from: Bluesberry on July 10, 2009, 02:04:14 PM
Quote"going all AndyR"
The danger in using that expression when referring to yourself, is that people may hold you to that standard.
Yea thats true, pretty big boots to fill there!  Maybe I will just use it at home when my wife is getting all panicky about the latest song taking me away in some manic mode.  I'm just going all AndyR dear, it will be ok in a few days, once done mastering.  Can I use that Andy, and what is it you tell your wife?

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman_1957

Quote from: Ted on July 10, 2009, 01:18:38 PMHere's a good/relevant article

Fascinating, and it states:

"It is known from several species of birds, for example, that females prefer more complex songs from their suitors, putting males under pressure to evolve the neurological apparatus to create and sing them."

So how come when I played prog rock with long solos I didn't get more girls?

Quote from: Ted on July 10, 2009, 01:18:38 PMSo, yeah, we want some kind of attention.  And it's no surprise to me that our most intense musical experiences tend to come during our prime peacock years

Definitely a big motivator in my case. I'm a classic introverted extrovert. Quite shy but put me on a stage and I go all "peacock". Love the opportunity to show off.

Quote from: Ted on July 10, 2009, 01:18:38 PMI'm struggling with recording a song right now, trying to get it right, re-recording parts, staying up until 3 AM--basically "going all AndyR" on myself (to coin a phrase).  You think I'm going to keep it to myself?  Hell no!

Well keep going and we look forward to hearing it!

Cheers,

Nigel