What does your home studio look like?

Started by SdC, May 13, 2009, 04:15:20 AM

Tangled Wires

Fully agree with you Bosko on all the points there. Although I still treat making music as a hobby, I do in the back of my mind still harbour ambitions that it could lead to something more one day and that one of the songs we have written will make some money for us. Not really interested in the "fame" side of things (now I am dreaming!!), but am very interested in being rewarded for the hard work that goes into the creation of our songs.

As you say, there are so many talented people on this site who produce songs that wipe the floor with some of the crap that we are fed in todays music industry, and I sometimes think it is a travesty that these people will not be recognised for their great work.

In a nutshell, its a hobby, but a pretty obsessive one!!!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

SteveB

Quote from: andrewh on July 10, 2009, 01:47:02 AMIn a nutshell, its a hobby, but a pretty obsessive one!!!

AWH - Succinctly yet comprehensively put.  ;)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

SteveB

Quote from: Bluesberry on July 09, 2009, 10:12:35 AMI am glad to see you have your space set up Steve, lets get some more music now.

BB - Will oblige at some stage. Though I have to tell you that I'm the World's foremost Plodder. And as someone else as already pointed out, how the heck are you supposed to create anything original of your own, when you can spend ALL DAY on this Forum immersed in everyone elses' originals. It's a worrisome thing.  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Greeny

For me, anything transcends being a 'hobby' when it becomes one of the major factors in your life. When you're trying to nail a tricky guitar part in the early hours of the morning (because you know you won't be able to sleep unless you get it right, even though you know you will be wasted at work the next day), it's no longer a hobby. Exactly as SteveB said above. Whether you choose to do anything with your end product is irrelevant - it's the importance you place on your music that's the deciding factor. We've all met people who say they 'play guitar'. Then, when you think you're in for an interesting music conversation with them, you can see that they don't have that inner light - that same obsessional spark on the subject as you do. It turns out they just strum some guitar now and again. It's not a major factor in their lives.

This isn't a forum for the 'hobbyists'. This place is full of obsessed, potentially unhinged (lol) music lovers who spend hours either thinking about or executing their art - usually to the detriment of their chores, relationships, and work. Maybe that's why we all get along so well... !

Bro

Quote from: Greeny on July 10, 2009, 02:40:35 AMWe've all met people who say they 'play guitar'. Then, when you think you're in for an interesting music conversation with them, you can see that they don't have that inner light - that same obsessional spark on the subject as you do.
Ahh.. I've tried that way too much! It's horrible!
"Really? I also play guitar!"
"That's great! What guitars do you play?"
"Um.. my mom gave me one last year"
"Yeah well, what kind?"
"I don't know"
And Thats where i get really disappointed!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Greeny

Quote from: 0jimihendrix0 on July 10, 2009, 02:49:21 AM
Quote from: Greeny on July 10, 2009, 02:40:35 AMWe've all met people who say they 'play guitar'. Then, when you think you're in for an interesting music conversation with them, you can see that they don't have that inner light - that same obsessional spark on the subject as you do.
Ahh.. I've tried that way too much! It's horrible!
"Really? I also play guitar!"
"That's great! What guitars do you play?"
"Um.. my mom gave me one last year"
"Yeah well, what kind?"
"I don't know"
And Thats where i get really disappointed!

That's exactly what I'm talking about!

Bro

I even get it with other instrumentalists from time to time! Drummers, bassists anything!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Tangled Wires

Quote from: Greeny on July 10, 2009, 02:40:35 AMFor me, anything transcends being a 'hobby' when it becomes one of the major factors in your life. When you're trying to nail a tricky guitar part in the early hours of the morning (because you know you won't be able to sleep unless you get it right, even though you know you will be wasted at work the next day), it's no longer a hobby. Exactly as SteveB said above. Whether you choose to do anything with your end product is irrelevant - it's the importance you place on your music that's the deciding factor. We've all met people who say they 'play guitar'. Then, when you think you're in for an interesting music conversation with them, you can see that they don't have that inner light - that same obsessional spark on the subject as you do. It turns out they just strum some guitar now and again. It's not a major factor in their lives.

This isn't a forum for the 'hobbyists'. This place is full of obsessed, potentially unhinged (lol) music lovers who spend hours either thinking about or executing their art - usually to the detriment of their chores, relationships, and work. Maybe that's why we all get along so well... !

I can so relate to that Tim, many times sat there in the early hours working on a new song knowing that I will regret it the next day at work....I do it time and time again, but it is so worth it!!!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Greeny on July 10, 2009, 02:40:35 AMFor me, anything transcends being a 'hobby' when it becomes one of the major factors in your life. When you're trying to nail a tricky guitar part in the early hours of the morning (because you know you won't be able to sleep unless you get it right, even though you know you will be wasted at work the next day), it's no longer a hobby. Exactly as SteveB said above. Whether you choose to do anything with your end product is irrelevant - it's the importance you place on your music that's the deciding factor. We've all met people who say they 'play guitar'. Then, when you think you're in for an interesting music conversation with them, you can see that they don't have that inner light - that same obsessional spark on the subject as you do. It turns out they just strum some guitar now and again. It's not a major factor in their lives.

Once again, well said, Tim.  Now I understand.  It's not necessarily about trying to make a living with your music, although many of us here probably are trying -- and if not, they should -- but more about the depth of the interest.  There can be a big difference between those who say they play guitar and those who actually PLAY GUITAR.

But to play devil's advocate here, there is also a big difference between those who have it in their minds that making music for a living is what they're going to do -- come hell or high water, and they'll live on the street and starve if they must to see their dream through -- and people who make music in their spare time but know in their hearts they're always going to have their day-jobs.  Those in the former category are going to dedicate every waking minute to playing out live as much as possible, trying to promote their music like crazy, trying to network with other musicians and build a following, trying to land a record deal, etc.  I could be wrong, but I think most of us in the forum are more a part of the latter category.  I myself am probably somewhere in the middle; I have hope that it might one day work out in my favor, and I will certainly try, but my wife and son are more important to me than anything, so I have decided that I will not tour.  And I wouldn't do anything rash like quit my day-job to dedicate 100% of my time to my music, although I would absolutely LOVE to, and a TRUE artist would.  But I have made my decision, and although it sometimes pains me, I am comfortable with what I have chosen.

All of that having been said, you are right ... whether there are aspirations to make a living solely with music or whether it's just something we do to tame the creative beast within us and keep us sane, to everyone here in the forum, it is certainly MORE THAN A HOBBY. ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Blooby

I am of the mindset that if my living were tied to a paycheck through music, most of the enjoyment would drain from it.

If I can carve out some time in the future, I'd play out again, but right now, I'm content to just play, to create, be it by myself or with friends.  I get a lot of satisfaction through the interactions on this board as well.

It validates my obsession.  Why am I typing this at work anyway?  Back to the grind.

Peace.

Blooby