additional comments on SONY ECM-DS70P?

Started by steamfurnace, February 18, 2008, 01:32:29 PM

steamfurnace

Hi,
I just joined this forum, having already been a member of the Boss BR SuperGroup.  I have both a BR-864, and the Micro BR.  I just bought a  SONY ECM-DS70P on eBay for field recording of my band, and read a few comments in this forum, but was wondering if anybody else has any experience with this set-up?
Thanks.

Gertok

I am newbie to the br too 8-) I have fully equipped recording studio at home though. 8-) I curious to see how SONY mic will record loud guitars... Any one tried it?

Pedro

Scorpios owns one, but I haven't seen him around the forum.

I'm sure it will sound fine as long as the sensivity is right and maybe a bit bass cut.

hewhoiscalledj

After reading some good reviews, I went and bought one from Ebay. What's weird is that the avg price for these things is around $50-$70 but I found an Ebay store selling them for $2 + $7s/h. I'm actually worried that it was a scam but I'll let you know if I receive the item as described. Let's hope so...

I'm still not entirely convinced that it will produce any better results than the built in mic but I'm hoping I'm wrong about that.

steamfurnace

That Hong Kong eBay site is the same one I bought mine from this past Monday.  Like you, I was concerned about it being a scam/fraud, but I thought I would take the $10.00 gamble.  It is supposed to deliver in 7-15 days.  I will post a follow-up here and let everyone know how it turned out.

Pedro

Hey I think Scorpios bought from the same exact store (Hong Kong) and the mic arrived damaged! It made a noise on the left capsule or something like that.

QuoteI have tried trouble shooting where the problem is and cant figure it out, I just recorded a quick take with it and didn't get the problem but it's one of those things that will just come from no where without even touching it, it works great when I fuck up, I know it will happen when I play/record the perfect take which I really would like to avoid.

but yeah, if I understand correctly you are suggesting I try replacing the male 1/8" connector on the mic itself?

Anyway, looking at this ebay store out of Japan's feedback, some people I noticed accused them of selling fake name brand stuff, and this might be the case. which is maybe why the mic came without original packaging though it is "new" and costed me a fraction of the price they normally run for. - Guess that saying "you get what you pay for" got me.

I guess I will try to trouble shoot the problem further, and in the meantime save up for a Sony stereo mic that isn't out of Hong Kong for dirt cheap on ebay.

Anyway, I will post what I quickly recorded with it in the "post your work" section in a little bit.

You can read the rest in http://microrecorders.org/community/getting-started/sony-ecm-ds70p-electret-stereo-microphone/0/

But again, for $20 its a pretty good deal. I might as well buy one too.

hewhoiscalledj

I saw the Hong Kong store but I got mine from a similar store in the UK. Man I hope this works out. I worry less about the $10 and more about identity theft/fraud so I changed all my passwords after the transaction.

More importantly, I'd love to hear how this little mic sounds. Lets see who posts results first! "It's a race, it's a race..."

Pedro

Yeah, look out with that. I got to get one myself, I wonder if that store in the UK exports to Portugal?

hewhoiscalledj

Pretty sure they ship all across Europe. It's just so hard to wrap my head around the price diference. Aargh. I'll feel better when it arrives.

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website