Current Festivals

Started by 64Guitars, July 01, 2012, 06:01:22 PM

Hilary

I promise I'll shut up soon  ::)

What about adaptations? - I want to do House of the Rising Sun in French - Le Penitencier - it says it's an adaptation by Johnny Hallyday in 1964 (the lyrics obviously). I much prefer the French version - c'est plus dramatique!

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_P%C3%A9nitencier
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

cuthbert

I'll let 64G have the final word, but as long as it's the same tune, I don't see why singing a different language on a traditional song wouldn't be acceptable for the fest. But if the French adaptation has a significantly different arrangement so that the tune is no longer recognizable as 'House of the Rising Sun', then I'd say it probably doesn't qualify.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Hilary

Quote from: cuthbert on January 06, 2014, 12:15:27 PMI'll let 64G have the final word, but as long as it's the same tune, I don't see why singing a different language on a traditional song wouldn't be acceptable for the fest. But if the French adaptation has a significantly different arrangement so that the tune is no longer recognizable as 'House of the Rising Sun', then I'd say it probably doesn't qualify.

It's the same tune but the lyrics aren't a direct translation of the English version - they are much better!

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

danieldesete

Go for it anyway hilary  :o I'd love to hear you sing le pénitentier !
daniel
hou hou ha ha

Hilary

Quote from: danieldesete on January 06, 2014, 01:00:34 PMGo for it anyway hilary  :o I'd love to hear you sing le pénitentier !
daniel

It's seriously difficult - not the singing, not the chords, not even the words - it's the phrasing . . . I must have sung it 60 times last night (although the E is tricky on the uke for a beginner!)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

steelguitar

Quote from: Hilary on January 06, 2014, 02:17:45 PM
Quote from: danieldesete on January 06, 2014, 01:00:34 PMGo for it anyway hilary  :o I'd love to hear you sing le pénitentier !
daniel

It's seriously difficult - not the singing, not the chords, not even the words - it's the phrasing . . . I must have sung it 60 times last night (although the E is tricky on the uke for a beginner!)

You wanted me to sing this song,
But I think your version will be better anyway
I want to hear it soon!!!

Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Hilary

Quote from: steelguitar on January 06, 2014, 03:39:24 PM
daniel

Jean-Sébastien

I would indeed! - if I can gather some strength, I'll give it another go tonight . . .
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

steelguitar

Quote from: Hilary on January 06, 2014, 03:42:22 PM
Quote from: steelguitar on January 06, 2014, 03:39:24 PM
daniel

Jean-Sébastien

I would indeed! - if I can gather some strength, I'll give it another go tonight . . .

;)
The time is not important, your strength yes
I am sure you will sing it perfectly when it wiil be the right moment  :D

Jean-Sébastien

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

64Guitars

The March / April 2014 festivals are:

80sVarietyFest (banner image missing)

Covers of songs by Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw, Depeche Mode, Icycle Works, Tears For Fears, and The Human League that were released in the 1980s.

TV_Fest (banner image missing)

Watch an episode of one of your favourite TV shows, then write a song about it. Or, if you prefer, you can write about a movie or mini-series.

The emphasis is on original songs but, as usual, covers are allowed as well. However, this doesn't include covers of TV Themes. Hopefully, we'll do those in a future festival. For this festival, any covers submitted should be songs that are specifically about a TV show, movie, or mini-series (see example below). You can, however, include a brief snippet of a TV theme in your original song if you like.

A great example of a song about a TV show is "The Twilight Zone" by Rush. It is based on two episodes of The Twilight Zone: "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?" (first verse) and "Stopover in a Quiet Town" (second verse).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Gz8_xshlQ

For his lyrics, Neil Peart chose to make the giant girl a boy (artistic license).

Note that lyrics which merely mention a TV show are not sufficient to qualify. The lyrics should actually be about the TV show, as in the Twilight Zone example above.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

The May/June 2014 festivals are:

ZepFest (banner image missing)

Covers of songs by Led Zeppelin. This does not include solo works by the members of Led Zeppelin, other bands they were in (Yardbirds, for example), nor recordings they might have played on as a guest (such as the many recordings that Jimmy Page played on as a studio musician). This festival is strictly covers of the recordings made by Led Zeppelin as a band.

DroneFest (banner image missing)

Original songs or covers that feature a drone as the foundation of the song. A drone is a single note or chord played throughout the song (or most of it). It can vary in timbre but the note cannot change except in octave.

It's important that the drone is the foundation of the song rather than a mere embellishment. The challenge is to find a melody and chords that work with the drone, as opposed to recording a bunch of tracks and then adding a drone over top of them. Therefore, it's probably best to start with your drone track, then add other tracks to it, rather than leaving the drone track till later.

Usually, the drone will last through the entire song. However, that's not a requirement as long as the drone is prominent and provides the foundation of the song. For example, you might choose to exclude the drone from the chorus of your song but make it a prominent part of the verses, bridge, intro, and outro.

The drone should be prominent and easily recognizable in your song. If it's buried in the mix or only included for a few bars in the middle eight, then it really shouldn't be submitted for DroneFest.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website