I'll Find My Way Home - by 64Guitars & Oldrottenhead

Started by 64Guitars, February 27, 2010, 09:16:52 PM

Oldrottenhead

my mum did like it but she prefers the original, mothers eh?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Kenneth

Glad as well this was bumped too, nice work guys!
 Really liked Yes in the eighties, avoided them for 20 years & like them again now.
Still your version is better!
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Kenneth

Bumpity bump
What a beautiful song. You guys did a wonderful job. I always liked this song, but this is spectacular.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

des0free

A real spine tingling performance!  Glad this came back across the top of the board!
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Gets me every time. So much emotion squeezed into one song. And I still prefer it to the original!

Facemask93

Wow , missed this one twice , this is totally excellent you guys , i'm lovin everything about this , Jon & Vangelis were big faves of mine , you have certainly done them proud with this rendition

A bloody BIG well done , as Tommy said , i to will be looking more closely into Audacity

And 64 , that Godin sounds excellent , have you got  a GR , whats the tracking like.

Jim ( respect ) for the vox

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

64Guitars

Thanks for the bump, Ken. And thanks to everyone for their comments.

Quote from: facemask93 on April 02, 2011, 04:18:01 AMAnd 64 , that Godin sounds excellent , have you got  a GR , whats the tracking like.

Unfortunately, I don't have a GR or any GK-compatible gear. It's something that I'm very interested in exploring but I haven't been working since before I got the xtSA, so I can't justify the expense right now. When I get a job, I plan to buy some GK-compatible gear, though I'm not yet sure what I'll get. I always wanted an AXON AX-100 MkII. By all accounts, they're much better at controlling external synths than the Roland GRs. And I like the rackmount design, the included editor, and the extreme versatility (up to 12 play area zones via fret, string, and pick position splitting). Unfortunately, the AXON is no longer being made and I don't like the idea of investing in technology that is no longer in production. I'm hoping that some other company will buy the AXON technology and release a new version.

The GR-55 has some impressive features but I don't like floor-based gear. I want the hand-operated controls up on a table or stand or in a rack, within easy reach so that it's convenient to experiment with the settings. With floor-based products, I think you end up using only the preset patches because it's too much trouble to bend down and fiddle with the hand-operated controls. But I'm not content with preset patches. The joy of having a guitar synth is in being able to create new sounds, and that requires easy access to the controls. Sure, I could put the GR-55 on a table or stand, but then I wouldn't be able to access the foot-operated switches and pedal properly. I think it's very bad ergonomics to have both foot-operated and hand-operated controls in the same case.

Roland got it right with their VG-99 virtual guitar system.

All of the hand-operated controls are in the VG-99's main unit which can be sat on a table or mounted to a stand, and there's a separate, midi-controlled unit for just the floor-based controls. I wish they'd used that same design for the GR-55.

When I'm ready to buy, I'll look at what guitar synths are available. If the GR-55 is the best I can find, then I might consider using it as a tabletop device and buying a separate midi foot controller for it. It's not ideal, but if nobody buys the AXON technology and releases a new version of it, the GR-55 and a separate midi foot controller might be the best option.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

alfstone

Dear 64chitarre,

first of all, a GREAT cover and collaboration.

The GR-55 is THE absolute guitar synth. I can confirm. I received it few days ago, and since then I've been explorating its enormous possibilities.

To tell the truth, my first sensation wasn't so good at all: it seemed that all the *usual*  problems of *all* guitar synths were there too: strange *plus* notes, garbage, missing notes.
Well, I was wrong. It's FUNDAMENTAL to setup in proper way expecially the sensibility of the strings: LOWER than recommended by the manual.
Then, some other important editing has to be done with each patch you want to use,but at the end you obtain exactly what you need. And believe me, this was impossible with my previous, old GR-30 that I think I will sell soon.

Going to the *minus* of the GR-55: yes, you are right, someway it has something of "schizoid": it should be on the ground, but as I told it's fundamental to edit it WITH HANDS, and quite often too, so unless you want to spend most of the time before playing on you knees (????), or unless you love to have backbone pain, this is a WRONG idea. Moreover, since Roland till today has decided not to release a computer editor (an independent one is already available, though.)

In the next days I will upload my first experiments with the couple Godin ACS-SA - Roland GR-55. Believe me, great fun and incredible possibilities.

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

64Guitars

Quote from: alfstone on April 02, 2011, 06:31:00 PMIn the next days I will upload my first experiments with the couple Godin ACS-SA - Roland GR-55. Believe me, great fun and incredible possibilities.

I'll look forward to hearing that, Alfredo.

Have you tried using the GR-55 to control an external synth, such as a keyboard, via MIDI? That was one thing that I heard was a weakness in previous Roland synths. Apparently, tracking was very good with the internal synth but poor when using MIDI to control an external synth. That was one of the strengths of the AXON. Its tracking was excellent with external synths. In fact, there was no difference in tracking between the AXON's internal synth and an external one because they both used MIDI. But Roland did it differently (at least in all the synths before the GR-55). They only use MIDI to control external synths. For the internal synth, they use a more direct approach that doesn't require any MIDI. So tracking is fast internally, but the extra step of converting to MIDI slows down the tracking with an external synth. I don't know if the GR-55 still has that problem.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Rata-tat-tat

Never heard the original... gonna check it out now.... Nice one guys. Love it

V/R
Tod
recorder
Tascam DP-02