I'll Find My Way Home - by 64Guitars & Oldrottenhead

Started by 64Guitars, February 27, 2010, 09:16:52 PM

64Guitars

UnpluggedFest (banner image missing)

Unplugged cover of the 1981 single by Jon & Vangelis which was also included on the second edition of their album "The Friends of Mr. Cairo".

Thanks to oldrottenhead for the great vocals. I especially love the backup vocals.

Everything in this recording except the vocals and percussion was played on my Godin xtSA solidbody guitar. I used the piezo bridge transducers instead of its magnetic pickups in order to approximate the sound of an acoustic guitar. This was further enhanced by an acoustic processor effect patch in my BR-864. No other effects were used, although the octave of some tracks was changed in Audacity and a bit of reverb was added to a few tracks.

The bass track was recorded with the Godin using the same acoustic settings. Then I loaded it into Audacity and dropped the pitch by one octave.

There's a rhythmic sound which runs throughout the whole song but is most noticeable at the beginning and end. It was achieved by picking a palm-muted G string for a percussive effect.

For the guitar break, I recorded a single track, then duplicated it twice in Audacity. I then raised the pitch of one copy by an octave, lowered the other copy an octave, and mixed the levels of all three to achieve a thicker sound. I used the same technique with the accent chords in the last verse.

All of the percussion was played in real time on my Yamaha keyboard by tapping the appropriate keys. The snare and kick drum were recorded to separate tracks so that I could control their relative levels. The other percussion sounds were castanets in verses 1 and 2, vibraslap in verse 3, and bell tree in the intro and verse 3. Again, these are all percussion samples from the Yamaha keyboard which I played in real time.

Dedicated to Jim's mum...

Lyrics written by Jon Anderson
Music written by Vangelis Papathanassiou
I'll Find My Way Home
Performed by 64Guitars and Oldrottenhead
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

OsCKilO

Dont Know the Song....

But I'm very taken by this track!!

Superb Instrumental!

Superb Vox!

Stunning dedication....

Very Well Done to All!

Peace

T(Osckilo)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

OsCKilO

Third Listen...

I Love the detail in this track!

Jims Vox is expressive as ever....

And the Music Wraps around the Vox!

Very Impressive!

Bass is Very well placed as Well!

Sounds Great through Cans and Lap top speakers!

Wow!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

64Guitars

Thanks Tharek. It was a fun project and Jim did a great job, as always.

Quote from: OsCKilO on February 27, 2010, 09:41:29 PMDont Know the Song....

Here's the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKqLAVyRaXw

Jon Anderson is the lead vocalist of Yes. He's an alto tenor and hits some pretty high notes which, I imagine, would be pretty hard to reach for most vocalists. So Jim sang the main vocal in more of a Peter Gabriel style and range, and tried to sing closer to Jon Anderson's range for the backing vocals. I think it worked quite well.

Vangelis Papathanassiou is a keyboard player. So the original was mostly synthesizer, making it a good choice for an unplugged cover I think.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

hooper

Great song and nice job of arranging and putting together a lot of parts. I especially like the subtle percussion parts.
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
These days I merely dabble at being old and wise.
But I swear, I used to absolutely excel at being young and stupid.

Oldrottenhead

have been dying to hear how this would come out, braw fmgwabp. thanks for the dedication to my mum i'll need to burn her a copy.

i got my first vhs recorder and john and vangelis where on top of the pops the same night i got it. so i taped top of the pops my mum nearly chewed up the tape starting and pausing this song to get the lyrics its a favourite of hers.

was a bugger to sing, jon anderson has always been one of my favourite vocalists his range in this song is phenomenol even singing this an octave lower was extremely difficult.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

I do know and love the original. And I must say you've done a great cover of it !!

superb performance and production!

Impressed of the "acoustic" sound you've managed to get out of that godin.

piePod for sure !

3rd listen now ...

oh ... and the vox ..... any Jon Anderson song is hard to cover ... and WOW ... great result ...

love it

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

OsCKilO

I Like this one Better than the Original!

But i'm a sucker for acoustic numbers........

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Great song guys.  So good to see a song post from you 64G, they are few and far between, but great stuff when you do.  Nice vocals.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Satchwood

Wow - great collab guys ~~~ 64 guitars and all :)  Very melodic and the guitars fit perfectly with Jim's vocals!!  I do agree that I really like the harmonizing backup vox ORH - they get to one at a deeper level that way!

Thanks 64G for your in-depth explanation on your recording wizardry - pretty flippin cool techniques!  Nice creative work in deed!!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)