BR-800 driver problems--anyone help

Started by Facemask93, October 22, 2010, 04:34:07 PM

Facemask93

Right , this is pissing me off big time now , ever since i purchased my BR-800 i have had minor problems with making the computer recognize the recorder , the last couple of days things have gone totally downhill , the first sign of trouble was , after trying to connect , using usb , then wave converter ,  the message , do you want Windows to scan the disc drive on the BR and fix problems , so i say yes , and i then tells you it has corrected some errors , but then the Wave converter would'nt load , then , when it did , it would not respond , it would virtually crash everything , after this happening so many times i lost count , i decided to download an updated version of both driver and wave converter , but after uninstalling the driver , nothing on this planet will let me reinstall it , i've looked on the roland forum website , and apparently the 800 has had lots of complaints regarding drivers and the problems i have described , if i cannot rectify this problem , one of two things are going to happen , firstly i am contacting the olympic committee to see if they will consider adding a new section to the forthcoming games , BR-800 tossing , secondly its going back

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Geir

Sorry to hear about these problems Rob. I have not experienced anything like it yet, but it sure would piss me of too if it happened. Only "problem" I have when connectin the 800 is that it takes ages for windows to recognise it and actually connect.

Is it still the original card you've got?

Have you tried putting the card in a card-reader ? If that works you maybe could get it backed up by copying the files to the computer.

I'd try initializing a card (new one, or if the old one if you've got that backed up) and try again.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

Geir, which version of Windows do you use? Rob is using Vista, which I think might be a significant factor in this problem.

Quote from: Geir on October 23, 2010, 03:03:43 AMOnly "problem" I have when connectin the 800 is that it takes ages for windows to recognise it and actually connect.

Do you still have ubuntu on your computer? If you do, does it also take a long time to recognise the BR-800 (suggesting that the problem is with the BR-800), or does it recognise it instantly (suggesting that the problem is with Windows)? Don't install the BR-800 drivers in ubuntu. It doesn't need them to use the BR Wave Converter or BR Rhythm Editor.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Facemask93

Right , where do i start , firstly , many thanks 64 and Geir for all your sterling advice , i'm now up and running with all my songs intact and my driver installed , and may i add , computer recognizing my BR almost immediately
I think basically at the beginning , everything was fine because the original card was formatted or initiallized in the BR , but when i recieved my complimentary 8 gig card , i did not format it , just got on with using it and it worked , but as the card filled up problems got worse.
Anyway i tried everything that you guys suggested and still came up with a blank , then , my sixteen year old son said , whats all the trouble dad , i told him and he said , oh thats not how you do it , and sorted it out in about ten minutes.
Apparently ,  trying to install the driver with the BR not connected , as instructed , was wrong , my son just started the installation with it connected , and sure as hell it worked , now when i go to USB , backup,
a window opens with the Roland folder in it , and the BR is instantly connected , this is just too good to be true , halleluja

Bye the way , card readers recognize i Gig Roland flash cards , but , will not read 8 Gig Kingston flash Media , however ,  you can plug the 8 Gig card straight into your laptop and the Wave converter will read it very fast

Thanks again

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

- Roy Harper

Geir

Glad you worked it out Rob !! Wouldn't miss the awsome recordings you've been making on that toy, with your Røde mic !!!

64G: I use XP professional. My computer with ubuntu crashed during summer and I still haven't had time to set up a new one. Will do tho when time permits !
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Facemask93

Should anyone have the same problems I've encountered , this is the reply I receive from Roland support

Hello Mr Burns

Thank you for your email. I would recommend trying the following procedure:

1. Connect your BR800 via USB to your computer.

2. Press Menu and select USB from the list.

3. Select the Back Up option. Once the BR800 says "idling", go to your computer's Control Panel and double click the "Light Load" icon, then click Apply.

4. Restart your BR800 and computer, then try backing up again.

Kind regards

Nick

It may be of some help to any BR-800 owners

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

- Roy Harper

Oldrottenhead

you are not called robert burns, how cool is that.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Facemask93

I thought you knew that Jim , but get this , my Dads name is Rob Roy Ramsey Burns

Robert Burns

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

- Roy Harper

Geir

He must have slept in class ::)

Back to topic, thanks for sharing that solotion Rob. Is it windows 7 or vista you're running on your computer?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Facemask93

Vista Geir , home edition , but i cant find this light load icon he's talking about

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

- Roy Harper