The Lovers (Picasso Songbook) - Final ? version

Started by Geir, October 11, 2010, 02:39:26 PM

Geir

Geir - The Lovers v4
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Ok I've been reding all your kind comments on my two previous versions of this song and tried to incorporate some of the suggestions in this version. I'm not sure if it's the final version, but I think I'm getting close.

What I did with this one was (to Nigels suggestion) give the acoustic guitars a bit more body. Luckily I had recorded both acoustic guitars in stereo, with one mic close to the 12th fret and the other closer to the soundhole. In the first mix the mic closest to the 12th fret was the dominant one. I this mix I used only the mic closest to the soundhole, which gives it more middle and low frequencies. I also lowered the vox a bit in the mix.

The vocals I redid completely, trying to get some of the qualities of both the previous takes by holding back a little on the first and last verse. I also used another patch with a bit more compression (a tweaked version of Rock vox) when recording the vox. I added a second vox an octave above, but low in the mix, for the part after the instrumental break.

I mixed the electric guitars a tad higher in the mix to give it more power on the break.

Thanks again to Fuzzface fore magnificant lyrics !!!

PS. didn't know if I should post this as a separate post or add to the previous. If any admin finds I should have done the latter feel free to merge the two threads !!

__________________________________________________________________________________
edit:
final mix:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=8845.0
Time:
0:00
Volume:

_________________________________________________________________________________________
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

FuzzFace

This is just right.

I love this.  Beautiful.

I love the backup singing!

I love the power-ballad quality to it.

This is so great.

cuthbert

I second what FuzzFace says, and this is now my favorite version of 'The Lovers'!

Geir, great transition from acoustic to electric, and I still love that flamenco-ish electric lead! Your voice sounds much better here - I think it combines the best qualities of the last two versions.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bluesberry

Dear Lord Geir, this is magnificent.  I love your guitar solo section, it has power and majesty.  Vocals are just perfect.  Shivers and chills and even a little tear from the beauty here Geir.  Its a wrap!   Wonderful song in every way.  Not one thing to change here.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

powerful magical powerful magical powerful magic fmgwabp
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

FuzzFace

In my head, this is a musical on-stage.

For this scene, the main character is singing to an empty chair in at a table.

During the guitar solo are dramatized flashbacks of the couple in the painting, dressed the way they are in the painting.

Then he looks in the mirror and an actor/singer is playing his reflection, and steps out of the mirror providing the backup vocals.

T.C. Elliott

I very much like this. I agree that the transition fromacoustic to electric is very good, and when it all kicks it  I find it very satisfying. good vocals as well, very appropriate.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Tony W

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Facemask93

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Kenneth

Beautiful songwriting Geir, this is going to be a great cd.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman