Vote for the MAY 2010 Songcrafters Festival

Started by 64Guitars, April 26, 2010, 08:59:05 PM

Greeny

AndyR

:D

I voted for the first time on this one - you could possibly blame Movie Soundtracks on me!

My reasoning is this - "Movie Soundtracks" is an "all-bets-are-off" option for me...

What if I wanted to do "You must remember this"? (I don't actually) - It was on the soundtrack to Casablanca.

What if I wanted to do "The Immigrant Song" - Jack Black and the boys worked quite hard to get the Led Zeppers to allow them to use it in School of Rock.

You can probably find hundreds of jolly little ditties to cover by thinking of your fave films... and that's even before you're reduced to thinking "hmmm... perhaps I could do my long awaited comb-and-tracing-paper rendition of the entire Lawrence of Arabia soundtrack..."

There's folks mentioning Judy and Liza over on t'other thread at the moment - wooo, some hairy songs there...

And of course, what do I almost always twang when I have an electric in my hands for more than an hour or so - the original James Bond theme... (didn't one of those modern chappies do a good cover of it a while back?)

It's a very rich seam to be plundered I feel :)

EDIT:
I'm almost tempted to ditch the "piece-of-cr@p" (musical term, denoting a work in progress) that I'm currently struggling with and dig out the Cabaret soundtrack and get cracking on me Sally Bowles impersonations...

If good ole Frank Z were to win, for example, my options would be somewhat more limited :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

mmmmmmm baby snakes 200 motels that one with the guy that went to funerals.............merry go round doo doo doo merry go round dooo doo do
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman_1957

I do so much prog rock normally I can't take any more. Or perhaps it would speed up my production of the next number.....

I'm confused and I already voted. Darn.

cuthbert

Quote from: Ferryman on April 27, 2010, 11:28:05 AMI'm confused and I already voted. Darn.

Not to worry...you can change your vote right up to the last day of voting!  ;D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

64Guitars

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on April 27, 2010, 09:04:20 AMI'm good with almost anything. Though, I am a bit concerned about the NO GUITARS ALLOWED choice. Since the majority of members here appear to be guitar players, this will automatically cut out all but a handful of people from being able to participate.

It's because the majority of members here are guitar players that I thought it would be fun to have a festival where guitars are not allowed. It would be an interesting challenge and an opportunity to expand our horizons. I don't mean to exclude anyone, and I don't think that anyone should feel excluded. Most of us have a keyboard, harmonica, recorder, ukulele, or some other instrument we could use for this festival (perhaps with lots of BR effects to make it sound electronic). And even if you don't, there's lots of software available for creating electronic music on your computer. So I think that any of us should be able to create a song without guitars if we get creative.

One exception I would make is for guitar synths. These, of course, would be welcome since the guitar isn't creating any sound; it's only triggering a synth which then generates the sounds. I would only ask that guitar synth users avoid synth patches that sound like a guitar. The idea is to sound electronic and synthy.

Quote from: oldrottenhead on April 27, 2010, 09:08:00 AMcould heavily processed guitars not count as electronica

Quote from: Greeny on April 27, 2010, 09:46:39 AMGary Numan used guitars and live drums, and you'd definitely categorise him in electronica.

Good points. I've had an 80s song in mind recently that I'd like to cover but, as well as synthesiser, it does include some guitar. I have to admit that I'm tempted to change the "no guitars allowed" rule. On the other hand, I really like the idea of no guitars allowed. It would be a really fun challenge and I'm sure it would open some doors of creativity for many of us.

Maybe it should be split into two separate festivals; "80s synth pop (guitars allowed)" and "Electronic Music (no guitars allowed)". What do you think? They could run simultaneously, although I'm not sure if that's a good idea because it weakens the challenge of creating a song without guitars. It would be too tempting to change your electronic music project to 80s synth pop just so you could use a guitar, instead of forcing yourself to do it without a guitar.

Quote from: Ferryman on April 27, 2010, 11:28:05 AMI'm confused and I already voted. Darn.

Anyone can change their vote as often as they like up to the close of the poll.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Saijinn Maas

I didn't mean to imply that you are excluding anyone. I only thought it may keep people from voting for it. I do like the aspect of "It would be an interesting challenge". I can always pull out my daughter's keyboard. See what we see ;)   It's all good ;)

Vanncad

Come on boys!

A little less conversation, a little more action please!

(can you guess my vote?  ;D)
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Oldrottenhead

QuoteA little less conversation, a little more action please!
mime?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann