Vote for the MAY 2010 Songcrafters Festival

Started by 64Guitars, April 26, 2010, 08:59:05 PM

Vanncad

I like the extended fest idea (2 months vs 1), or the "behind the vote" idea. It might give people more time to contribute.

Some people are very prolific and can "bang" out tunes like crazy. Some of us "type A" personalities need a little more time.

I try to contribute to "fests" and "collabs", but if I only have a limited amount of free time, I (selfishly) like to spend it working on original tunes.  ::)

I would imagine there are many others in the same boat...

Can I get an "Amen"?

P.S. -Thank-you 64 for keeping these "fests" organized man. This is truly a cool feature of this site!!
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Ferryman

Amen brother! But I am happy with whatever we decide, but with one fest a month I will definitely miss some out.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

antisocialworker

Gnasty

Amen Vann! I`m one of those too!

I wanna try a tribute again but depends on what it is and i still have my vote. hmmmmm...Plugged in acoustic is in the lead. That`s a goody!! I might wait till the wire on my vote..lol
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

Quote from: Ted on April 28, 2010, 03:10:27 PMWhy not start scheduling the fests two or three months ahead, instead of having a vote at the end of the month for the following month?  I think it would allow people to plan, and prioritize better.

I was thinking that too. In fact, I typed up a message suggesting that we plan the whole year now so that everyone will know what's coming up. But then I deleted the message because I realised that it wouldn't work. I think most of us (myself included) suffer from oldrottenhead syndrome to varying degrees. ;) The moment that we finish a song is when we have the most enthusiasm for sharing it. I don't think that most of us would be able to keep our finished song under wraps for a month or two until the festival started. And, even if we could, most of the enthusiasm would be gone by then, which would take a lot of the fun out of contributing to the festival. So most people would probably end up posting prematurely. Then, when the festival finally starts, their song will be old news. Again, this kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn't it?

Maybe we should have the vote mid-month instead of month-end. Then we'd have a couple of weeks to think about what we want to do while continuing to concentrate on the current festival until it ends. One drawback might be that we could get a flood of posts on the first day of each festival and a mere trickle the rest of the month.

QuoteRelated idea: What if we alternate genre-fests and cover-fests.  People who are no into doing covers could pass on the cover-fests, and people who don't like to write originals could either sit out the genre-fests, or do a cover in that genre.

Related related idea: During the cover-fests, songwriters and composers might like the challenge of creating an original song in the style of the artist being covered.

I'd rather try to include everyone in each festival. Most festivals can include both covers and originals. The Unplugged Fest and Tribute Fest were exceptions because they're covers-only by definition. But most of the other choices could include both. Even the artist-themed festivals could include originals in the style of that artist, as you pointed out.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

Geir

Maybe we could do Black Page #2 on cowbell ::)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Blooby

Quote from: Geir on April 29, 2010, 05:24:48 AMMaybe we could do Black Page #2 on cowbell ::)

Now that tickled me.

I assume Terry Bozzio has done it already, or is he too busy buying drums?

Ted

Quote from: Blooby on April 29, 2010, 05:53:29 AMI assume Terry Bozzio has done it already, or is he too busy buying drums?

Boy, his aim must be really bad.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

Here's a suggestion:

May: The one with the most votes this month.
June: The one with the second most votes this month.
July: To be voted on near the end of May
Aug: To be voted on near the end of June.
Sep: To be voted on near the end of July.
Oct: Alice Cooper and scary stuff.
Nov: To be voted on near the end of Sep.
Dec: Yulefest 2010
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac