How do I Manage Without Faders?!

Started by Greeny, August 18, 2008, 07:36:13 AM

Greeny

I've just bought a Boss Micro BR, and it will take a while to get to grips with the interface. But there's one major thing (even before I start recording) that's worrying me...

How do you (or CAN YOU) fade songs out without sliders? I've had a Tascam PocketStudio for 6 years, and used the sliders to control the volume of each track (including the drum paterns). I'm worried that I won't have any of that ability to use a variety of levels within a song now.

Also, if you want to record a track without drums at the beginning, and want them to kick in at the chorus (for example), is this possible on the Micro?

HELP!!!!!! Thanks.

SteveG

You can fade out on the MBR, but I do that on the PC and I am dammed if I can remember how ... answer is on the board somewhere but I cant find it, somebody will know tho no doubt,

Setting levels of the tracks is no problem, dunno if you can change levels "on the fly", guess so if you can fade out? Again, someone will know..

As for the drums, easy, once you get your head around the step editor. Just start with BREAK, which stops the pattern until you set a rhythm to play. This will make sense once you read the relevant manual section.

Greeny

Many thanks! I think I need to spend a while with the manual and getting to know my Micro on intimate terms. I have a feeling this forum will come in very handy... !  :)

guitarron

one way is to fade out the master level during the mastering  or bouncing for that matter
btw- i have a gold top too -76 deluxe

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

I only have an Epiphone '56 gold top copy - but I like the P90's on it. I used that for lead and a Fender tele for rhythm. It's a combination I love and trust!

guitarron

i have mini humbuckers and a maple with rosewood neck-the brightest sounding paul i've ever heard-

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: LesPaulGoldTop on August 18, 2008, 07:36:13 AMHow do you (or CAN YOU) fade songs out without sliders? I've had a Tascam PocketStudio for 6 years, and used the sliders to control the volume of each track (including the drum paterns). I'm worried that I won't have any of that ability to use a variety of levels within a song now.

The Micro BR's VALUE [-][+] buttons are used to control track levels as well as the master level. Just press the button corresponding to the track you wish to adjust ([TR1] to [TR4]), then use the CURSOR [<][>] buttons to select Track Level. The VALUE [-][+] buttons can then be used to adjust the level of the selected track. You can make these adjustments before you begin recording, as well as during the recording (if you're recording someone else, for example). You can also adjust tracks in this way while bouncing. And you can press [UTILITY] then select Master Level to adjust the overall recording level in Bounce Mode. This allows you to fade in or out all tracks simultaneously.

QuoteAlso, if you want to record a track without drums at the beginning, and want them to kick in at the chorus (for example), is this possible on the Micro?

Certainly. You need to create a drum arrangement where the first step is the preset pattern P327:BREAK. This is a pattern that makes no sound. Set the length of the first step to the number of measures you want before the drums come in. The starting measure of the second step of the arrangement determines the length of the first step. So, for example, to have the drums come in at measure 33 of your song with preset pattern P001:ROCK1-IN, you'd set the first two steps of the arrangement as follows:

Step 1:  Starting Measure 1.  pattern P327:BREAK
Step 2:  Starting Measure 33. pattern P001:ROCK1-IN

However, in order to keep time while recording the first 32 measures of your song without any drum accompaniment, you should set step 1 to a metronome preset pattern (P314:Metro (4/4), for example) or some other unobtrusive pattern. Then, before you start your final mixdown, you can set step 1 back to P327:BREAK to get rid of the metronome.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

Thanks everyone - sounds like I should be OK! Just need to work out how to do the rhythm programming now!  :)

guitarron

honestly-i feel it's easier to do fade outs in a DAW

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis