Does anyone do this?

Started by Strider44, July 11, 2008, 12:02:48 PM

Strider44

basically just choose one beat and record your music over it. Then when the song is complete, you go back and edit the drums to the different patches/fills etc... 

this is a whole lot easier than writing the drums as your jamming your music to it aswell.

Oldrottenhead

i do that a lot, when doing final mix i do drums on the fly and change the patterns as its recording, can be a bit hit and miss at times tho.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Tangled Wires

I have been doing that also and found it works quite well. I guess it is only ok though if you have a song with no tempo changes in it, as that could prove more tricky i guess

recorder
Boss Micro BR

guitarron

i've done that many times especially with the mbr and 600
it's easier that way to get the basics arrangement of the song down

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

ianjm

Ive just done one that way i cant believe how much easier it is...

tackium

I set one of the verse sections to repeat and do the rythm guitar. Fills intros etc. after the rythm guitar is in. I listen to the piece and stop it when I want to edit something. Make a mental note of the measure and beat shown in the screen and then go and edit exactly at that place in the rythm editor. Maybe a little ahead depending on the fill in order. Some start a few measures before the desired effect comes in. Page 113 of the manual has a table that helps a lot with this. This way I avoid hit and miss.

SteveG

Yep, its the easiest way no doubt.

What a good idea, thanks for the tip.

It was really getting annoying trying to play the song in my head, place an arrangment, then play it back jamming over the top.

beleg

Try using a drum pattern to scope out the basic structure of the song with your rhythm guitar (or what ever rhythm instrument you use) and then turn the drums completely off to write the rest of your music. Then when you are done with the song, try and go back and add drums. Sometimes I feel that the drums patterns box you into writing songs a certain way .  just my $0.02

Axtklinge