Does anyone do this?

Started by Strider44, July 11, 2008, 12:02:48 PM

drutgat

Doesn't it get a bit difficult?

For example, let's say you've had the same pattern playing while you're putting down some instruments, then you go back to do the drums properly. It might be that the intro. you really like (and can't edit, don't forget) has a cymbal or something that just overlaps with a starting riff of the song.

And that a fill that you'd like to add later might also go on too long.

If I'm understanding correctly replacing the drums in the way described above is the way that others are talking about in this thread, then don't you run the risk of not being able to get exactly what you want?

BossMicroBRew

I definitely go this approach all the time when exporting to mp3.  It's super easy and convenient if you're pressed for time.  Boss does a great job at getting them to line up well.  The only tricky part is getting the blasted fills to fall in line smoothly sometimes!

Gulp...Brp*~!
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Tony

Thanks for this.  I'm going to try it this weekend.  The guys I practice with tend to joke about my writing everything out before I play and generally using my head rather than my ears.  This might loosen me up a bit. 

Good tip, thanks.

Tony

Strider 44,

Thanks for this.  This has completely changed the way I use the MBR.  I had tended to use it to practice guitar (and as an mp3 player and to steal CDs from the library).  Now I just keep it in the chain and I either sit with a guitar or my wee keyboard and find melodies, either with a track or without.  And when something sounds less the awful, hit record.

Thanks, this definitely has loosened me up.  Well, this and the booze.

wooperman

Ditto, changed the way I think about recording, and whether or not I use drums. I was convinced I would never go through the effort but now that I see it's all based on that counting/step system, perfect for fore-thought and after-thought ideas.