Back to the Drawing Board - a Greeny and Ferryman collaboration for CollabFest

Started by Ferryman_1957, June 06, 2020, 04:21:36 AM

Ferryman_1957

Drawingv5cut
Time:
0:00
Volume:
CollabFest2 (banner image missing)

A while back I posted an instrumental song for a vocal collaboration. Greeny (Tim) jumped on it and added some amazing vocals, resulting in "20 Golden Singalong Greats". I was so delighted by the result I wanted to do more of the same, so used CollabFest to reach out to Tim and see if he wanted to do a sequel. Fortunately he did, and this is the result, "Back To The Drawing Board".

One thing I have realised being on this site is that there are some very talented and creative people here, and particularly vocalists and lyricists that are much better than me. Tim has taken my musical idea and taken it much further than I could. His lyrics and vocals added more "edge" to what is already a pretty "in your face" track and resulted in something far better than I ever envisaged. The power of collaborations!

All music and production is by me, vocals and lyrics are by Tim. All the musical noises come from my Bass VI and a bunch of pedals, all recorded direct into the BR-800 and then individual tracks transferred to the PC as .wav files. The only addition is drums from my Sdrum pedal. All mixed in my DAW and mastered in Izotope Ozone.

And sadly many unicorns were massacred in the making of this track. Sorry 'bout that.

wipe the blackboard clean
of obscenities
i had a false start
i had a change of heart
i had a false start
i had a change of heart

reboot and reset the plan
this is evolution, man
i had a false start
i had a change of heart
i had a false start
i had a change of heart

going back to the drawing board

i massacred the unicorns and rainbows
left their bodies lying in the rain

butterfingered - ming vase
slipping through my grasp
i had a false start
i had a change of heart
i had a false start
i had a change of heart

reboot and reset the plan
in this shop-soiled hinterland
i had a false start
i had a change of heart
i had a false start
i had a change of heart

i massacred the unicorns and rainbows
left their bodies lying in the rain

Back To The Drawing Board
a Green Ferryman collaboration

Oldrottenhead

Yeah baby, that bass is thumping,  the whole song is post punk/prog goodness, you to make a match made in heaven.

totally brawtastic.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Love the final mix! More collabs please Nigel. The energy of your tracks gets my juices going! Lol. Like being 18 again. Such fun to work on, and completely effortless. Instant lyrical and vocal inspiration.

Mike_S

Some crazy noises coming from that Bass... really beautiful. This is such a fresh track, but also a slightly cool retro feel too. A little bit of a punkish attitude, but then little proggy twists too.... touches of Muse or even Supergrass?? This is just great lads, a great listen.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman_1957

Quote from: Greeny on June 06, 2020, 05:24:29 AMLove the final mix! More collabs please Nigel. The energy of your tracks gets my juices going! Lol. Like being 18 again.
Thanks Tim. I was going to add a comment in my post that this is probably not appropriate music for a 63 year old to be posting! I still seem to be in my late teens and early 20s musically........

Quote from: Mike_S on June 06, 2020, 07:42:13 AMSome crazy noises coming from that Bass... really beautiful. This is such a fresh track, but also a slightly cool retro feel too. A little bit of a punkish attitude, but then little proggy twists too.... touches of Muse or even Supergrass?? This is just great lads, a great listen.
Thanks Mike, my starting point was bands like Starcrawler who are currently retreading the Stooges and similar. But I can't hide my prog roots, and the Muse comparison is very kind, I love their stuff up to the Black Holes album. I was even going to use Knights of Cydonia as my reference track for mastering but I couldn't find the CD!

Farrell Jackson

Hey Ferryman, you are getting some really cool and wild sounds out of your bass and pedal board! Tim added a super vocal and lyric to it. Another fine collab!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Redler

This includes everything what a good rock song needs; killer riffs, captivating vocals (I'm gonna sing "I had a false start.." the rest of day!), excellent tones and even tempo change!

Superb job by both of you. This really works!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

AndyR

WoooF!!!

What a track. The groove, the bassing, and Tim's vox (cool lyrics too).

Loving the sound of those crushed unicorns.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Hook

This is stellar guys, what a fucking groove you got going on Ferryman, infectious. I know StarCrawler, I lean more to Skating Polly, check them out:you'll love them. Great job with this greeny, love the vocal.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hilary

It's got a very young, fresh feel to it - you are paired very well together.

Encore!

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça