Back to the Drawing Board - a Greeny and Ferryman collaboration for CollabFest

Started by Ferryman_1957, June 06, 2020, 04:21:36 AM

Lurker

This is WICKED, baby. What a driving instrumental, and then the vocal takes it to another level. Very well produced. It sounds like you guys broke quarantine to put this together in a studio. The sounds: melodic rocking!

I will not be playing this for my daughter. She would be traumatized by the imagery of the dead bodies in the rain. She was wearing her unicorn shirt just the other day. It also had rainbows. I'm okay with it, but I'm also a very bad man.

Flash Harry

The Not-So-Angelic-Upstarts

Floats my boat.

and all this out of one guitar?
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

danthecoat

WOW!!! Where did this come from.

Who could not like this its got everything. A real toe tapper this one and so catchy. I love that dip towards the end and what could be described as a "false start" before you came back in again. Very clever  8)

Great collaboration

Redler

Back at this...I have listened to this several times, today. A bit punk vibe and powerpop from the 90's. Supergrass vibe perhaps...
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman_1957

Thanks for the kind comments all, apologies to unicorn-loving children everywhere. There's definitely big chunks of punk, powerpop and some prog in here. Maybe Tim's vox are reminiscent of Gaz Coombes as well... This is the kind of music I would love to play live and just go mental to. But as a 63 year old that's probably not a thing anyone would want to see...... ;D

Quote from: Flash Harry on June 06, 2020, 07:01:43 PMand all this out of one guitar?
Yup, everything from the Bass VI and never more than two strings played together at any one time. It makes a pretty immense sound from no more than 2 or 3 strings played together. This thing really impresses me as a flexible music-making tool. Bung it on the middle pickup through the clean channel of my Orange amp and it's a great bass sound. Change to the neck pickup, play the top three strings with distortion above the octave and it's a big lead sound. And play lower down with a bit of crunch and it's a riff-making monster.

You can't really play lead solos on it (well I can't) so it forces you to think about how simpler lines will work and also I use the pedals to create different sounds and effects. It's really helped me cope with losing flexibility in my fingers while at the same time taking me in a slightly different creative direction.

Ella

This is really awesome! So powerful, rhythmical tune with so fascinating melodies. I love that prog-vibe. Wonderful tune and Tim made great vocals to it!So catchy and pithy. I dont know if it´s a right word but fantastic job, both of you and yes! More collabs please! Definitely I would come to see you live!

hardlock

recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Blooby

I made a point to sit down and force myself to carve out some time to listen tonight, and I am gobsmacked at the quality of stuff on which I have commented.

What a cracker of a tune. Love, love, love that main bass riff and that monster tone. Great performances by both of you.  I appreciate a couple subtle runs that were incorporated in there as well as that chordal climb. Some really great stuff.  Jeez Louise.

Blooby

StephenM

geez louise is right....to quote Blooby.... I would call this grouping Monsters of Rock.... lol... I know lots of people like to put a genre to songs....and i kind of see why...but for me there is just music... and yes I like certain songs more than others...but in almsot any "genre" I can find stuff I love... you guys rock, individually, and collectively....period....Nigel is right though...and it is pretty obvious I think.... often you get better results when people colaborate.... not just as musicians but as producers, engineers, promoters etc.... (That Designer V song a prime example)...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

WarpCanada

This is really lyrically and musically great.  It makes me want to play bass into an amp turned way up. Shake the furniture.

Love the lyrics.   I have a friend for whom these lyrics would wholly apply. The idea of a false start has so many applications in life. I love the part about massacring unicorns and rainbows.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada