The Ghosts of Yesterday by Oldrottenhead

Started by Oldrottenhead, May 22, 2018, 03:06:01 PM

Oldrottenhead

The Ghosts of Yesterday
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I am currently reading a book about Krautrock band "Can" as a result i have had their albums on repeat play the last few days in the car. So slightly influenced by them i created a drum track using DrumJam and then using garageband i played a repetitive bass line in the key of C. I then did the same with some synth patches.

i have also been listening to Robyn Hitchcock's new self titled album, which influenced the guitar parts and vocals.

All the instruments where played separately on my ipad directly into my br800.

anyway.

it is what it is.
The Ghosts of Yesterday
W/M
By
Oldrottenhead
The ghosts of yesterday
They haunt tomorrow
They hide in shadows
Around the corner
The dogs can sense them
The cats ignore them
I feel them in this room
It's cold as hell in here
Invading my dreams
Recurring nightly
They know the future
Their past has passed
The ectoplasm
Has ruined the carpet
The medium
Was slightly overdone
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Groundy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Ferryman_1957

Really enjoyed this one Jim. I'm getting a slight Ege Bamyasi/Future Days feel here, although I can make sense of the vocals so you're definitely no Damo Suzuki ;). I like the gentle groove and the instrumentation, but I really love the lyrics (and of course the vocal performance). The final phrase is brilliant. A really enjoyable track for me, thanks for sharing.

I am quite the krautrock nerd. Amon Duul II, Can and Neu were my fave bands before punk (apart from early Genesis and King Crimson) and Holger Czukay was a great influence on my bass playing (especially on the much underrated "Landed" album). If you haven't read "Future Days" by David Stubbs, you should. What I find interesting is how the German music scene in the 60s and 70s developed partly as a reaction to the political environment in Germany at the time (in which ex-Nazis held many of the positions of power).

Oldrottenhead

Landed was my introduction to can. Julian cope authored a very good book on the genre.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Kenneth

Lovely sounding song. I hear Peter Gabriel strongly on this one, maybe it's just me.
😎 Great work James!
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Redler

I'm inspired of karautrock as well, especially Can and Amon Duul.

Nice job in all ways!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

steelguitar

I enjoyed listen to your song, James !
Sympathetic synth sounds too
Love the reverbered sounds of guitar. Nice chords progression !

Jean-Sébastien

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

bruno

Listened to earlier - what a cool song.
Braw!
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

SE

Big rhythm  track allied with your vox make a excellent sound, don, t know much about  krautrock rock, but I'm  with Kenneth getting Gabrial.
recorder
Boss BR-80

cuthbert

Now this is special. From the opening drums, it drew me right in. Loved the vocals, and your guitar is sounding nice and trebley here - is it the Harley Benton?

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on May 22, 2018, 03:06:01 PMi have also been listening to Robyn Hitchcock's new self titled album, which influenced the guitar parts and vocals.

Cool. And that reminds me - I still need to pick up the new one!

Great song, James. Among your best, I think.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase