Get error message: NOT SUPPORTED trying to play mp3 file

Started by Satchwood, May 06, 2009, 10:34:20 AM

Satchwood

I've imported a backing track mp3 and it won't play in mp3 mode (I get message: NOT SUPPORTED).

I've tried reading the mp3 into Audacity and exporting out as another mp3 and then also as a wav file.  But I get the same message: NOT SUPPORTED and neither will play on my MBR in mp3 mode.

Note: the mp3 file DOES play on my mp3 player however, no problem.  Does anybody have any software or tricks that can re-convert an mp3 so that it IS supported on the MBR?  Unfortunately I can upload the mp3 because it's a tad over 5M.
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Greeny

Are you exporting it out of audacity at 128kbps???  I have a feeling that's the highest kbps that the BR can deal with. I know Audacity can export at a variety of rates, so it's worth checking!

64Guitars

Supported MP3 formats are:

• 44.1 kHz sampling rate
  • bit rate of 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 224, 256, 320 kbps, or VBR

If you want to use a file that has a different format, you will first have to convert it to a compatible format using a suitable program such as Audacity or Switch.

With Audacity, you have to make sure that the Project Rate in the lower-left corner of the screen is set to 44100. Then, from the File menu, select Export. After you fill-in any metadata and click OK, the Export File dialog will appear. Set the file type to MP3 Files, then click the Options button to select a compatible bitrate. See http://www.audacityteam.org/manual/index.php?title=MP3_Export_Options.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Bro

i had the same problem, then i converted it to mp3, from a mp3 file both 128kps. Weird but it worked, good luck!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Satchwood

Thanks 64Guitars!  I had to change the Project Rate to 44100.  It was set to 48000.  That did the trick!  Thanks again!

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Satchwood

I will remember that 44.1 is always the one - thanks!  Is what Greeny said also true too, that we must also export the mp3 out of audacity at 128kbps?

Oldrottenhead

not used audacity, but mbr will accept higher quality mp3s than 128kbps. when im collaborating i try to use 192kbps files to keep quality
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: Satchwood on May 06, 2009, 11:52:23 AMI will remember that 44.1 is always the one - thanks!  Is what Greeny said also true too, that we must also export the mp3 out of audacity at 128kbps?

According to the Micro BR manual, it supports MP3 bit rates of 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 224, 256, 320 kbps, and VBR. Of course, the bit rate you choose will affect the sound quality and the file size. So experiment with different bit rates and see which works best for your needs. If you're going to upload the MP3 to this forum, then you'll need to keep the file size under 5MB and you may find that bit rates over 128kbps might create files that exceed the 5MB limit.

If you just want to import the backing track into your Micro BR so that you can add more tracks to it, I'd suggest using WAV format instead. This will create a much bigger file than MP3 format, but after it's imported you can delete the WAV file from the Micro BR to save space. The advantage of WAV format is that it's uncompressed. It won't improve the sound of the already-compressed MP3 backing track, but it won't further degrade the sound either, as an MP3-to-MP3 conversion will (although, perhaps not noticeably).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Satchwood

The 44.1 kHz sampling rate probably also applies to WAV files as well, since I also imported a NOT SUPPORTED WAV file out of Audacity.  I'll just press that magic Project Rate button in the lower-left corner...Thanks for your help!