You Better Run (Now with added Harmonica!)

Started by CaptainJimbo, March 16, 2017, 07:13:48 PM

CaptainJimbo

You Better Run (V9) mp3
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Edit - New mix to replace previous

I've been struggling find the perfect place for the harp to sit in the mix. It's a razor thin line between too loud and too quiet. I've mostly just dialed back the delay on the harp and brought it a little higher in the mix.
The new mix is below, let us know what you think. I'd love to get some feedback on whether that harp is too loud or you think it could come up a bit more.

This is an original that I postd a while back, but I've miked up a friends harp amp and gone to town on it.

I've been doing a few gigs with this guy Big Blind Ray lately and I reckon his sound is red hot!!!

This is just an initial mix, but check it out and let us know what you think.

Warmest regards,

Captain Jimbo

www.thatjameskelly.com

"Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum variat"

Redler

Wow! I like this a lot! Really nice groove with Dr. Feelgoodish flavor! Well done on each 'department'!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Groundy

Love it,
I'm a sucker for the Harp,
Well done....

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Mike_S

This is brilliant... right up my street. Brilliant vocals, Brilliant Harmonica, Brilliant guitar, Brilliant song. Time to grab a beer.. well maybe not just yet (9.30am Irish time)!!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

ODH

Quote from: Redler on March 16, 2017, 11:08:31 PMwith Dr. Feelgoodish flavor!

That's exactly what I thought.  That's definitely the ghost of Lee Brilleaux on vocals. 

Yes, lovely stuff, Jim. 
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Johnny Robbo

I'm always blown away by the music you post & this is no exception. Brilliant in every way!!! Captain Beefheart meets Tom Waits at Dr. Feelgood's house. Love the story you tell & that gob-iron (Teesside slang for harmonica) is a great touch. My kind of music... big time!
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

CaptainJimbo

Gob iron. I like that.

I'm still kind of figuring out how to mix harmonica. I'm mostly treating it just like a guitar, that is the usual place I'm coming from.
Ray (harp player) was blowing into a bullet mic, hooked up to a 5 watt VHT amp head which was plugged into a cabinet housing a 10" speaker. It looks like a shrunk down pygmy Marshall stack. So to my ears it comes out quite a lot like an overdriven guitar.
I placed a mic about 3 inches from the speaker, and I've run it through a clean guitar amp sim (amplitube 4) on my computer and added probably a little too much reverb and delay. It needs a bit more work but I'm pretty happy about how it's shaping up.
Warmest regards,

Captain Jimbo

www.thatjameskelly.com

"Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum variat"

launched

Quote from: Mike_S on March 17, 2017, 03:43:42 AMThis is brilliant... right up my street. Brilliant vocals, Brilliant Harmonica, Brilliant guitar, Brilliant song. Time to grab a beer.. well maybe not just yet (9.30am Irish time)!!

Mike

Dude, don't be so slow lol!

Yes, I love it. Just what I needed, really puts your strut on! The vocal is so gnarly, very cool!

Number nine!!!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

IanR

Sounds like you are all crawling out of the swamp. I've got no idea what the song is about but it SOUNDS fantastic. I love it.

For my ears though, the harp is a little low in the mix. I think it needs to be more up front to stand out with the vox and the rhythm guitars.

Nice work for a rough mix.

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One