OK, what song have I ripped off??!

Started by Super 8, September 25, 2016, 11:41:03 AM

Super 8

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

OK, woke up with this one as a fully complete song 'in my head' ...

leighelse

I know the feeling, although I've learnt not to trust it. Sometimes songs do arrive fully formed, but it's because the subconscious has been busily crafting it in the background and thrusting it forwards when it's complete.

"You Say You're Leaving" doesn't sound to me like a specific song I've heard before. It does sound catchy, bright and bouncy, and has a sixties/seventies hit song way about it. Congratulations - it's a song any songwriter would be proud to own! It's thoroughly, infectiously enjoyable.

So, if anything, your conscious mind has ripped off this song from your subconscious. No copyright violation involved. Whatever you've been doing recently that's freed your subconscious to beaver away at a new tune, keep doing it!
Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.

Super 8

Thanks for taking the time to put down those (really kind!) words to me Leighelse! I note you record with a BR1600 (2?) too! How's that going? 

Mike_S

Hey Super 8, so you have reminded me of something I have been thinking about recently.

I actually think although we all listen to and love all the famous musicians we grew up listening to, I think we pay them way too much respect in terms of how important and groundbreaking a lot of them them were. I think, had they not made all the musical discoveries and sounds they did, eg. early pop music, the punk revolution and the birth of heavy rock, along with all the famous chord progessions and songs that came with it, then someone else would have.

I think it was all just a natural progression really, like discovering a beautiful lost paradise in the middle of a jungle or something. I mean, once its discovered... its discovered and nobody else can do it for the first time. I think a lot of those guys were just so lucky to have been in the right place at the right time and got to record some of those great chord progressions for the first time, so they lay claim to the genius that goes with it.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the most famous songs we all love are brilliant and i love them as much as the next person, but how many times has a guitarist (a lot of people on this website must have this feeling) been strumming away with not the slightist intention of plagarism in their mind, only to find they were suddenly strumming something similar to an already famous or classic song. I just think an awful lot of the stones have already been unturned, so their is no way people of the current day can blaze a trail like our hero's of old.

Super 8, sorry for getting sidetracked... I think your song is excellent mate, and to me it stands up on its own as a true original with a slightly 70's feel. V strong songwriting.

recorder
iPad GarageBand

leighelse

Quote from: Super 8 on September 25, 2016, 02:04:20 PMI note you record with a BR1600 (2?) too! How's that going?

The dual BR1600 setup is working really well. With each session I learn some new tricks for getting the best out of it. I'd sum up my experience by saying that having two BR1600s doesn't just double your fun, it can multiply it.

We're off topic here, though, so we could continue this in a thread on the appropriate topic if you like.
Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.

Super 8

Redler

Not a rip off, imo!

Excellent songwriting and recording, again! Well sung catchy song! More please!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

thetworegs

HEY!!IT'S MINE!!..... Oh no it's not I was dreaming....bummer .... Wish it was it's a beauty!!  ;D

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Super 8

Quote from: Redler on September 27, 2016, 12:29:08 AMNot a rip off, imo!

Excellent songwriting and recording, again! Well sung catchy song! More please!
Thanks Redler - much appreciated

Super 8

Quote from: thetworegs on September 27, 2016, 12:40:12 AMHEY!!IT'S MINE!!..... Oh no it's not I was dreaming....bummer .... Wish it was it's a beauty!!  ;D
LOL (again! You crack me up Man!) Thanks for the kind words