Roland BA-CS10

Started by macheted01, March 25, 2009, 08:33:04 AM

Hey Everyone, New to the boards here. Cant say how excited I was to find a site dedicated to the Micro BR. I have had my Micro BR for about a year now and wished for a site like this when I first got it. I have always used mine as a practice tool, until recently. I dont know what I would do without this thing. I was just wondering if anyone has picked up the Roland BA-CS10 mic accessory yet? If so, what do you think? I am not much of a song writer, so I have not even tapped into this things recording abilities. But it is great for recording are practice sessions. I have all our songs that we do loaded in this thing and is nice to refer back to, if need be, to correct another band member. Anyways, would like to hear about anybodys experience with this accessory. Thanks

tkofaith

Welcome aboard!  I'm sure you'll learn an awful lot about this great tool in a very short period of time.  I don't have any experience with the mic you're referring to, so hopefully someone else has. 
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

Kody

I've been wandering the same thing~ I actually just posted a similar topic not long ago~Nobody here has said they've tried it yet.....

Alot of us have purchased the similar, but much cheaper, Sony version...I got mine on Ebay for $4.99 plus free shipping! I'm still waiting for it to arrive from Hong Kong 8) 8) There are a few people that have excellent recordings using it~ See BAG's songs in micro br "post your work section"

I think I will eventually pick up the Boss when I get some money to spend~ I see they've dropped down to $69 on some websites! But I guess it depends how good the Sony is~But for $5, I can't help but be a little leary 8)

Glad to have you aboard!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Kody

Here's a link for a shiny new Sony~~if you want to check it out....I know I've spent more than $5 on worthless crap :P So I'm thinking~if it sucks~Oh well~ I've done worse!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SONY-ECM-DS70P-ELECTRET-STEREO-MICROPHONE-MIC_W0QQitemZ250383344410QQihZ015QQcategoryZ29950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Ted

What have you got to lose, other than $4.99? I may order one. 

Thanks for the link, Kody.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Glenn Mitchell

Please let us know when it arrives. I'll get one or 2 if it does.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Well, I jumped on there and ordered 1. It carries the Sony name, so it cant be that bad, if its a real Sony. I see the same model at Amazon.com and Musiciansfriend are quite a bit more, yet a little cheaper than the BA-CS10. If the Sony is a dud, I will check out the BA-CS10. The reviews at Amazon for the Sony were pretty good for the most part.

Kody

Hee hee! Cool....yeah, if it is indeed a real Sony is the question....I know there are Shure fakes on ebay~ Shure talks about it on their website.  I'm in the same boat you are my friend~ Last time I ordered a compact flash card from Hong Kong, I got an envelope like 2 months later with the corner ripped off and nothing inside :P :P But I'm optimistic this time, different seller and I know these guys on here have got them with no problems. Also interesting are the links on this homepage for the DIY mics~ you might be interested in trying something like that~Cheap and easy to make, but I've never tried it~ just thought I'd let you know~ PeAcE 8) 8)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Ted

I ordered one of the Sony's off eBay too.

That seller has more than 23000 transactions on eBay, and a 94% positive feedback record.  I'm usually comfortable with someone with that kind of track record, and I reckon that they're real Sonys.

But $4.99 for a mic that retails elsewhere for $99 does make one pause.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

hewhoiscalledj

I'd like to chime in about the Sony mic from Hong Kong... I've had it for about six months now and I cant really tell if it's a fake or not, but I can say that it works well. As a stereo condenser mic, it lends a lot of space and clarity to my recordings. Comparing it to the built-in mic, I'd say it sounds like a step-up in terms of sound quality but I may be confusing the improvement of sound with the ability to hear the room better from the stereo set-up. The high frequency sounds from the snare, hi-hat and cymbals seem crisper and more in your face using the Sony and listening to recordings from it really puts you back in the room during the original tracking.

With that said, the one downfall that I come across with this mic is from recording loud practice sessions (which is mostly all I do). Not sure if it is because my Sony mic was a dud or a fake, but it distorted too easily to be of any serious use recording live. I could never fully avoid the OVER warning or clipping even with the SENSITIVITY set as low as it could go at -15. However, I didn't know how to make proper use of the LIMITER (effect) at the time so that may have helped although I still think the SENSITIVITY would still have been pretty low and that's not really an ideal situation as it dulls the sound.

I had almost given up on the MicroBR since my results were less than stellar and there were so many other recorders out on the market. I either had a faulty mic, or lousy technique... But then I stumbled across the Audio Technica Pro24 stereo condenser mic and all my troubles have gone away. It handles much higher SPL ratings which means it can stand up to the thunderous crack of my drummers piccolo snare, the booming bass lines and the screaming 100watt wall of noise I call my guitar sound. I'm also able to set the SENSITIVITY at around -4 without any clipping or OVER warnings. Because it's a stereo mic (with an x/y pattern) I'm able to capture the room sound very well with just a mild ROOM REVERB to fill out the stereo image. I highly recommend picking up a stereo mic like this Audio Technica or any other mic that is set up with the x/y pattern; as opposed to the Sony or Roland mic with what I believe to be called an a/b pattern (parallel.) The Guitar Center was kind enough to do a price match online for me and I picked up this wonderful mic for about $60 (They were originally selling it for $95!) Here's one available at Zzounds.com with specs and pics: http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTPRO24

I think I'll still have a use for the Sony mic, just not for recording a whole rock band in a tight space. It may do better at recording in a club or bar where there is more room for the sound to go. Like I said, it sounds excellent up until it distorts but for recording individual or acoustic instruments, I'd use it in a heartbeat. And hey, for less than $10... it's a great purchase.  ;)