Curing My Music Snobbery with "AM Country Radio Immersion Therapy"

Started by Ted, February 26, 2014, 04:19:16 PM

Ted

I have a blog that I update rarely. I got inspired yesterday and wrote this:

QuoteWhen I found out that this AM-only radio can only pick up one station, I recognized it as an opportunity to challenge my snobbery on two fronts at once.

The post has been pretty much ignored so far, so I thought I'd ply for some attention here.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Flash Harry

I'd stick to your snobbery. That needs handing in at the nearest police station
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

cuthbert

I can't believe they play "Highway Patrol" on AM country radio these days!

We have a couple of FM country stations up here where I live that I generally avoid like the plague. Because I can't listen to most "contemporary country" (and thankfully, Junior Brown doesn't fall into that category) for more than a few seconds before I want to run screaming down the street with my balls in a fruit picker's pail.

But I do like a lot of the more traditional country music, including most of the pantheon listed in your blog post. And I'm liking more of it, lately - especially some of country/old-timey music from the Twenties and Thirties.

btw, that's a perty slick radio you've inherited there...  8)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Ted

This station claims not to play any "cookie-cutter corporate country." But it's not necessarily old-timey or pantheon stuff. And some of it just doesn't sound country to me at all.

Right now they're playing Linda Ronstadt's version of Poor Pitiful Me (written by Warren Zevon). Somehow, I liked this song more once I realized that the first line describes a suicide attempt.

Quote from: Flash Harry on February 26, 2014, 04:26:19 PMI'd stick to your snobbery. That needs handing in at the nearest police station

What would they do with it?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Hilary

One of the TV channels in the UK is called Sky Showcase and they play a lot of Country music on it. I find it fascinating to watch, it's so bad it's good and addictive . . . I wonder what's on there now  ::)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Ted

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

IanR

I love country music as much as any other type of music.  Its like any other genre. 5% is great.  The rest is crap.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Ted

Quote from: IanR on February 26, 2014, 07:20:25 PMI love country music as much as any other type of music.  Its like any other genre. 5% is great.  The rest is crap.

Exactly. I've depended too much on elitist curation though. I'm kind of enjoying having to filter through the crap myself.

Quote from: Johnny Cash "Sunday Morning Breakfast"Well, I woke up Sunday morning
With no way to hold my head that didn't hurt
And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad
So I had one more for dessert

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

Holy crap! Who is this by? Can't find on Google -- which I thought could find the lyrics to any song:

QuoteA redneck with a paycheck is a mighty dangerous man.
A redneck with a paycheck is a train wreck with a long neck in his hand.

Those two lines have made this exercise worthwhile.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

IanR

My advice is that if you see the terms: "country music" and "Grammy award" used to describe any music, then it is automatically crap.

That still leaves a lot left.

Recently, I've been listening to:

Willie Nelson
Lucinda Williams
The Little Willies
Brad Paisly (although he may have a Grammy)
Dixie Chicks
Johnny Cash
Beccy Cole
Kasey Chambers
Guy Clark
kd Lang
Lyle Lovett
Steve Earle
Townes Van Zandt
Chris Smither
Busby Marou

recorder