Curing My Music Snobbery with "AM Country Radio Immersion Therapy"

Started by Ted, February 26, 2014, 04:19:16 PM

Geir

The best example I can think of to illuminate my feelings on this topic is this song. I don't think it's "good" except it has a really annoyingly "good" melody. I love/hate this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArA6eEhm41g
Live version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJtPmZp7L5w

Here's a rough translation:

Now shall divorce Johanne - divorce Johanne
I can not live with you any more

Wedding promise was to love me to death
But the promise yes you broke it pretty fast
For the promise yes it broke the wedding night
You locked the door to our little bedroom

Can you remember when I asked you Johanne
If you could imagined a few small
But when she hit me in the head with a clog
And locked the door when I said I would go

I 'll never forget the night I was allowed to
To lie in the same bed as you lay
I was denied lying under blanket
I was sweating there with big pants on

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ted

Quote from: Geir on February 28, 2014, 06:28:44 AMThe best example I can think of to illuminate my feelings on this topic is this song. I don't think it's "good" except it has a really annoyingly "good" melody. I love/hate this song.

I've listened to and have enjoyed much music from Africa in my life. And sometimes I know that the saving grace of some songs is that I can't understand the language. It would ruin it for me to know for certain that the lyrics of my favorite mbaqanga songs were as inane as pop songs in English -- as some of them certainly must be.

I'm pretty sure the lyrics to this one boil down to, "My boss won't give me a day off."

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Gnasty

Quote from: Geir on February 28, 2014, 05:27:46 AMMost 6 year old's that play a violin do not make "good" music, but when I heard my daughters play at that age it still evoked some positive feelings :)

I think, because music is magic, other rules apply than in the rest of the universe.

I agree with Geir, and also I think that there is a difference between listening to music and seeing and hearing
music live in front of you.
When you watch a juggler on tv juggle 10 different things, you`re not as impressed
as if he is doing it in front of you and also as we get older we get pickier.

I try not to hate any music but i guess i hate this new country and pop because i was subjected to it on loop
at one of my jobs for years and all because of one person`s seniority. And i`ll tell you, music you don`t like can seriously change one`s worth ethic and personality at a work place. Management should think of that stuff.
Okay my rant is over :)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

cuthbert

Quote from: Gnasty on February 28, 2014, 10:11:09 AMAnd i`ll tell you, music you don`t like can seriously change one`s worth ethic and personality at a work place. Management should think of that stuff.

I agree - being forced to listen music you don't like (or as I consider it, bad music  ;) ), whether at work, dining out, or otherwise interacting with others who have their fingers on the dial and volume knob can kill your soul faster than just about anything else.

I don't know how my girlfriend deals with it....  :P  ;) :D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

phantasm777

I agree with ianr and ted.
I cannot comment on music that doesn't grab me, so I leave it alone, and do not say, this sux, except to myself. since I know many like what I do not, I leave it at that. to each their own. if it pleases you, then right fucking on!