Main Menu

Drive Busy

Started by wiley, February 28, 2009, 07:29:31 PM

Wiley

I haven't had my Br that long.  I have a lexar 1 gb card in it.  Last week it kept telling me drive busy.  Couldn't master right. I've read in the manual. and it says the card has become fragmented,  I haven't done much bounce recording.  I also haven't used much more than the basic 4 tracks.  I deleted everything I wasn't using and it seems to be ok. But I was wondering.   If the drive is defragmented could one use the defrag tool on windows to defrag that drive?  I dont think I am doing the STD or LONG data type.  Just curious.  I would think the card could handle a lot more info. Any help or input would be appreciated.
P.J.

64Guitars

Are you running the Micro BR on batteries? If so, try it with the PSA-120 AC adapter. If the problem goes away, then try it with fresh batteries.

You could also try removing the memory card and re-inserting it a couple of times. It's possible that the contacts could be slightly oxidized and re-inserting the card can improve the connection.

If you still get the Drive Busy error, backup the memory card. Then initialize it in the Micro BR and restore the backup. I recommend using the AC adapter while initilaizing to ensure that the Micro BR is fully powered.

If none of these suggestions solve the problem, then you might want to try a different memory card.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

guitarron

i find if i optimize often i get less errors as well

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Wiley

Ok  I do use the adapter most of the time.  I will try removing and re-inserting the card.  I have only had my Br about a month so I wouldn't think it would oxidize yet.  But who knows I will try your suggestions.  It's not doing it now that I deleted a bunch of stuff. Most everything on it is on my computer anyway. So I will try those things next time it happens.  Thanks P.J.

guitarron

Quote from: wiley on March 01, 2009, 08:37:31 AMOk  I do use the adapter most of the time.  I will try removing and re-inserting the card.  I have only had my Br about a month so I wouldn't think it would oxidize yet.  But who knows I will try your suggestions.  It's not doing it now that I deleted a bunch of stuff. Most everything on it is on my computer anyway. So I will try those things next time it happens.  Thanks P.J.
i always optimize every couple of takes or so-that helped my card

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

I now have drive busy what did you do to correct it Wiley?
and how do I optimise my BR card
Please help cos for the first time in a couple of weeks I was doing somethinf I was happy with :( :( :(

Ronniejm

when you delete  tracks, it dosent actually delete them, although you can only access the last one you deleted, in order for the UNDO function to work. All the previously deleted tracks are still there and taking up valuable card space.

To free up this space you need to Optimize which will actually delete ALL the previously deleted tracks, including the last one.

So when you are sure, and only when your sure you won't need to recover the last deleted track:

Press UTILITY
Select SONG
Toggle Right
Select OPT

It will give you a couple of "are you sure you want to do this?" options. If you are sure about not wanting to recover the last deleted track, say YES, all the previous deleted tracks will be wiped and the card space they were using will be recovered.

If you have never done this, for any song on your card, its worth going back to them and optimizing them as well.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Boss BR-800

My Jukebox

Wiley

Thanks for the info. I need to book mark or print this page.  I still haven't optimized anything.. But I quit getting the drive busy thing.

BossMicroBRew

Quote from: Ronniejm on March 13, 2009, 11:12:38 AMTo free up this space you need to Optimize which will actually delete ALL the previously deleted tracks, including the last one.

I'll have to try this again sometime. I optimized once, maybe around 3 months ago, and the end result was it corrupted my vocal track. I could still hear it(barely), but it was sort of chopped up and digital-sounding. No biggie, as it was just a test record anyway, but it still scared me from doing any more optimizes. Any idea why this may have happened?

Side note, Drive Busy. Happened a couple times and I attribute it to me trying to push to many buttons and do too much at once. Slowed down, drive was fine.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

64Guitars

Quote from: BossMicroBRew on March 13, 2009, 02:41:53 PMI optimized once, maybe around 3 months ago, and the end result was it corrupted my vocal track. I could still hear it(barely), but it was sort of chopped up and digital-sounding. No biggie, as it was just a test record anyway, but it still scared me from doing any more optimizes. Any idea why this may have happened?

I don't know why that happened but I'd recommend doing a full backup of the card before optimizing. Years ago, I read that there was a bug in the optimize feature of some of the older Roland recorders which could ruin your tracks. I don't think the new BRs have that bug, but it would still be a good idea to backup just in case.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig