making files smaller?

Started by StevieM, January 16, 2009, 02:54:54 PM

StevieM

I'm trying to post some music on collabs, but the file's too big at 5624mb. Is there any way I make this a little bit smaller but still get the whole thing on?
Cheers.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

tkofaith

Quote from: StevieM on January 16, 2009, 02:54:54 PMI'm trying to post some music on collabs, but the file's too big at 5624mb. Is there any way I make this a little bit smaller but still get the whole thing on?
Cheers.

One song is 1/2 Gig? Hmmmmmm....
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

StevieM

Yeh, I know, it's really weird. It's only about 5 mins, very simple thing, but the attachment won't load. Maybe I'm doing something wrong???
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

StevieM

Tried again, still won't accept it.Says the file's too large
It's only an MP3 file from the BR, copied to the PC. I've seen loads of stuff on here that have a lot more content, but are smaller files.
What am I doing wrong?????

Oldrottenhead

a few questions, how long is the song?
what bitrate did you save it at?
you are trying to upload the mp3 not the song folder?
or did you save it as a wav file?

if you still have the song saved you can remaster it when asked to save save it as 96kbps it wont be as good quality as saving at 128 or 192kbps but not noticably worse either but will be a bit smaller.
are you sure its 5624mb in size and not 5.624mb if its 5.624 you dont have to shrink it much saving it a 96kbps as described or using an mp3 converting program to shrink it.
hope thats of help
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

StevieM

??? Thanks ORH, I have a look at that tomorrow ( or later today!). Haven't got a clue at the moment.
It's about 6 minutes
???
Yep, the MP3 file
Nope, MP3

It actually says 5.51MB on the laptop, but 5624MB on the desk top, even weirder?

You can tell I'm an absolute wizz at this computer stuff :'(

64Guitars

Quote from: StevieM on January 16, 2009, 07:16:00 PMIt actually says 5.51MB on the laptop, but 5624MB on the desk top, even weirder?

1 megabyte = 1,024 kilobytes

so I think you'll find that your desktop computer reports the size as 5,624KB, not MB (5.51 * 1,024 = 5,642.24).

The size limit for attachments on this forum is 5MB, so you don't need to reduce it by much.

Have you trimmed any silence or unwanted sounds (count-in, etc.) from the ends of your song? If not, that might just make enough of a difference. Otherwise, you should reduce the bitrate as suggested.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

SteveG

I have to drop the bitrate all the time to get stuff to fit here, annoying.....
If it is going up in colabs I guess you will have to, as it is only going to get bigger as ppl add to it.

StevieM

Thanks guys, fixed it now. Still seems strange a 6min solo guitar bit is that big, 'cos it's definitely Mb, not Kb.
I know a little bit 'bout PC's, just not had much to do with MP3 and stuff, except for transferring vinyl and things.
Told you when I joined there'd be some dumb questions :)

64Guitars

5624mb is 5.5GB! The BR can only address a maximum of 1GB, so I can assure you that you definitely did not make a 5.5GB file on your Micro BR. It's most likely 5.51mb, which is a reasonable size for a 6-minute song in MP3 format. As a rule of thumb, MP3s are typically 1MB per minute.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website