making files smaller?

Started by StevieM, January 16, 2009, 02:54:54 PM

StevieM

Whoops, that's what I meant :-[ My excuse is that I'm tired, got a bad back at the mo so in a lot of pain, and it's me age!!! ;D
Interesting about the 1mb per minute, didn't know that, so makes sense now, cheers.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

wooperman

Also, look up "optimize" in the manual. From owning other Roland gear, I'm familiar with this. Everytime you re-record,and other actions, the steps are still remembered, even if not accessible any longer via undo. So by performing optimize, you are left with only the information that exists on the surface of your tracks (I dont think it gets rid of v-tracks). But if you have several v-tracks, and did a bunch of takes, optimizing can give you back a lot of memory. I use a VS-840 and I could go from having no memory left to many megabytes all being eaten up by these ghost button presses.
 On the micro BR it's here:
1. utility
2.  song
3. > (arrow right)
4. OPT
...it will ask you if you are sure twice, so be sure.

64Guitars

Song Optimization saves space on the memory card by purging unused data, but it has no effect on the size of an MP3 file created on the Micro BR.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

wooperman

Right, I see the distinction now, I have not made an MP3 yet so I didn't factor that in.