Dream On by Oldrottenhead

Started by Oldrottenhead, October 09, 2022, 01:34:37 PM

Oldrottenhead

Dream On (shrunk to fit)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
First new one in ages.
Work has been tough of late and kept me away from my guitars and stuff.
this one took a while and i nearly disappeared up my arsehole in the process.
I had so many tracks going the Macbook couldn't cope, plus i had to shrink the bitrate to get it to fit here.
So lots of bouncing and mixdown of tracks, so that my old mac could cope.
It's probably muggy and dirgy as a result or perhaps it was that way all along.
Anyway it's one from the heart.
It is what it is.
From the heart of the storm
You hear the call of home
The sirens of dawn
Are drawing you on
The pull of the tide
In gravity's hold
You know what you need
Just the will to keep going

Dream on
Stay strong
Dream on
Stay strong

On a wave of emotion
Neath a crescent moon
Afraid of the dark
Will the light come soon
The sun is on the up
The warmth yet to come
Ever towards it
Forever you'll run

Dream on
Stay strong
Dream on
Stay strong
Dream On
W/M
By
Oldrottenhead
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

alfstone

Wow, James, extremely POWERFUL! Someway different from your other songs, but very, very interesting. 

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

cuthbert

Great to hear a new one, James. Sounds nice and clear on my iPhone, and the heart shines through. Love those squiggly synth bits, too.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Ron D Bowes

Ain't life a bitch. The lyrics strike a chord with me, but the one thing good that comes out of life's almost relentless grinding of the soul is that it drives musicians to write songs to vent the emotions. Glad you found time to finish this one.

StephenM

there are some fantastic lyrical images in this.  I really like the idea of the dawn's rays being like a siren!  I can see that.  Yesterday morning I was out early and it spoke to me also.

As usual I like your voice on this.  The keyboards make this an outstanding backer for me.  It has a Peter Gabriel vibe that I love so much on some of his less popular and more mellow tracks.... great stuff...

the more distant drumming is fine as well...
super stuff...and from the heart.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Oldrottenhead

Quote from: cuthbert on October 09, 2022, 06:39:22 PMGreat to hear a new one, James. Sounds nice and clear on my iPhone, and the heart shines through. Love those squiggly synth bits, too.
the squiggly synth bits are actually my HB tele run through a GarageBand experimental guitar effect called spring theory
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

the squiggly synth bits are actually my HB tele run through a GarageBand experimental guitar effect called spring theory
[/quote]

Love that effect.

As somebody in Florida, this packs quite an emotional punch. Miss your voice around here.

Blooby

SE

Loving the imagination with strong  lyrics and performance, a cool listen!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

Ted

I've been wondering where the hell you were.

I've been working my way through Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl. This song touches on the overarching message of the book (messages I've been receiving slowly over many years – thankfully without the necessity of a concentration camp). It's an awful title. A better alternate title (in German editions) is/was Say Yes to Life, in Spite of Everything.

Peter Gabriel sang, "Don't give up." What a useless exhortation.

Don't give up on what, precisely, Pete? His song speaks of despair, and ego destruction, and hopelessness. "I believe there's a place where we belong." You believe? Thanks for precisely nothing. Belief in a place cannot buoy a crushed spirit.

Dream on. Now that's advice a desperate soul can use. Imagine the future, with you in it, fulfilling a meaningful purpose: your dream.

Lovely song, and very fitting for my frame of mind these days. I'm not in a state of despair – not at the moment anyway. But I've been looking at my personal arc, and realize what a resilient optimist I've become.

In spite of the production headaches, the song does not sound overproduced. It sounds quite simple, in fact. It takes a lot of skill (and sometimes luck) to keep things so clean. Well done.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

TPB

Great new song with powerful lyrics glad you are back on the writing path
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away