"Rex and Paul" - original by Ted

Started by Ted, May 07, 2011, 05:49:34 PM

Ferryman

I remember you. I like this a lot. Simple, stripped down with great storytelling. The lyrics work really well, great story. Really enjoyed it and your vox sound excellent, well done.

I can dig it!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Damián

Fabulous song!  The story gets deeper with this wonderful acoustic version!

Love it!

Ted

Thanks everyone.

I performed this live at an open mic the other night. I really felt on. I wish I could reliably recreate the circumstances leading up to my performance.

I worked a really long week, and hardly touched my guitar.

The week concluded with an event at a local bar I was kind of obliged to attend. I had two glasses of Lagunitas IPA on draught--for me, enough to start a buzz.

I rode my bike home from the bar, and walked the dogs. I checked my watch and it was 7:38 PM. The open mic had already started.

I threw my guitar into it's case without even a warm up. Put on the case like a backpack, and rode my bike to the open mic venue.

When I got there, probably about 8:10 PM, the MC (my friend Barry) was playing--a sign that he was lacking sign-ups for open mic performers.

Barry saw me sneak in and called out to me, "Ted! Do you want to play?"

"Are you hard up?," I asked.

"Yes."

So I unpacked my guitar and went on within minutes of arriving by bike. I had the tail end of a beer buzz, and my blood was pumping from a bike ride.

I bantered with the audience, and insulted my friend Jim.

"Did you play, Jim?"

"Yes. Three songs!," he said triumphantly.

"Well I guess I didn't miss much."

And then I flawlessly performed Rex and Paul and The Missiles of October without having practiced either.

I'm not sure whether I made an ass of myself, or if my performance was brilliant, but I felt great.

The Missiles of October is a song I haven't shared here yet. It's a very sad song written from my father's perspective. Halfway through performing the song it occurred to me that it was the first time I'd performed the song since my father died last year. A wave of emotion struck me as I was singing.

So now I know the formula for a great Ted performance:

• Don't practice
  • Drink two beers
  • Have a physical warm up (equivalent to two or three of miles on a bike)
  • Walk the dogs
  • Show up late
  • Insult a buddy
  • Ambush myself with a painful memory
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

launched

Perfect tune, Ted. It reminds me of Zevon a little bit - A master songwriter I really miss now.

Love it!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

OsCKilO

QuoteThe Missiles of October is a song I haven't shared here yet. It's a very sad song written from my father's perspective. Halfway through performing the song it occurred to me that it was the first time I'd performed the song since my father died last year. A wave of emotion struck me as I was singing.

I demand this tune be posted in a raw fashion.......

No Offence....

But I Demand it!

As a Ted Johnson fan.....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Simon M

First one of yours I have heard Ted, and I have to say it will not be the last.  good storytelling and reat sound on guitar and vocals.  I can sympathise about wanting to get on to writing the next son.  I want to try and strip my songs down, but my guitar playing is not that pretty, so have to dub over to get something I am happy with.

By the way the IPA sounds lovely.

Cheers  Simon

SwanSong

TED what a comeback ...!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very outstanding song and great lyric writing based on ur true stories.
fabulous vox guitar. this deserves a bump and radio air play . best
of luck with this regards NEIL

stoman

I agree, Ted, great songwriting! It immediately reminded me of John Cougar Mellencamp (Jack & Diane), which I love too! :)

Regards,
  Steffen

SE

Hey great tune and  really nice storytelling and you preparation for the open mic night sounds like the basis of another great song, and by the way welcome back.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Ted

Quote from: side effect on May 28, 2011, 01:17:12 PM...your preparation for the open mic night sounds like the basis of another great song...

You mean lack of preparation.

Thanks, musicmadmac, SwanSong, stoman, side effect. I kind of thought that this song had used up it's bump quota.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac