Parade (blast from the past)

Started by Ferryman, January 05, 2010, 03:23:30 AM

Gritter

thanks for sharing that Ferryman...

The bg vocal shout outs are cool.

...it reminds me of so many 80's bands. We had some in Canada as well; Images In Vogue and Martha and The Muffins come to mind.

QuoteRush ruled for us Canadian teens at this time

We didn't all listen to Rush!... ;)...Luckily we are able to listen to music from outside our borders!

The Clash, The Jam, The Police, Talking Heads were on my playlist back then...as for Canadian bands, Pursuit of Happiness were problably the one I liked most...and Nomeansno of course!

indierik

I absolutely love this Nigel! If I had heard this back then I would have been all over it. Very apropos for 80's. It's a wonderful blend of industrial and New Wave; I hear a bit of Nitzer Ebb as well as the Psychedelic Furs and Bauhaus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VyWNDxQQxM

I love the guitar work. You are probably right you could get a better sound from the MBR. Either way it's a great post, I'd love to hear some more of this.   
Without music, life would be a mistake.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

scottieD

Yes, very eighties in all it's glory...reminds me of a couple other Canadian bands, FM and Strange Advance.  Good Stuff! ;D

recorder
Boss BR-800
   Okay to cover...not sure why you'd want to though...

Ferryman

Thanks all, you are bringing a warm glow to me here with all these nice comments. Dave, although Duran Duran wasn't a direct influence, there is no getting away from the fact that they pretty much defined the 80s "sound" (along with Spandau Ballet). You can hear it everywhere. We went towards the harder edge (we were rather po-faced and serious) and Erik highlighted the other big influence on us, which was Bauhaus (especially our look). Cuthbert also had it spot on with the KJ bass/drums reference - the bass and drums combo drove the sound, guitar and keys were kept very restrained (I was NOT allowed to do guitar solos, LOL!). I switched from bass to guitar when we got this bassist in the band - I learned a lot from him (at the time he was definitely better than me, I would run him close now I think).

You're all making me think "if only......". But I had a blast at the time and I'm glad we didn't make it in some ways because it's nice now to be a family man and do all this for fun. And I wouldn't have met you lot. This place and all the music here is really enjoyable - scrabbling around the fringes of the music business in the 1980s was actually pretty desperate at times.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tangled Wires

Love that bass line, in fact I like everything about this. I can hear all the influences you listed in this. If I hadn't known otherwise, I would have thought that this was a chart hit from the early 80's, it is such a polished tune. Yet another example of the amazing high quality of songs that we hear on this site!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Vanncad

Hey - this is a really good song Nigel. That bass and keys is definitely the sound of that genre. Sounds like it could be played on the radio today to me.

I was mostly into hair metal and heavy guitar rock back in those days, so I really can't compare it to any band from the era.

It must have been pretty cool being in a professional studio though. Your band sounded pretty tight. You guy's should have made some money back in those days eh?

Thanks for posting this one, I would be interested to hear more.

- Vann
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

fenderbender

very cool -blast from the past --

its great -ahhh If only -----
ahh you probably would'nt have been as happy as you are now ;D 8)
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

mike

This makes the hair on the neck stand up.  I love this style of music.  There are band's today like White Rose Movement who would kill to sound like this.  This is the genuine article.
Thanks for posting it - a great trip back.

Mike

Groundy

Great posting Nigel, sounds fantastic, well done   Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

SE

Hey great to hear you old work, this is top drawer really stands well with music of that time and just goes show that the music bizz is just a lottery.
recorder
Boss BR-80