Parade (blast from the past)

Started by Ferryman, January 05, 2010, 03:23:30 AM

Ferryman

Parade
Time:
0:00
Volume:
As we are now no longer restricted to just Boss recorders and other folks have been posting some older material, I thought I would post just one track (and it will be just one, I have reams of stuff from the old days which I won't bore you with...) from my "serious" days. This is Parade by a band called Masque which played from around 1982 to 1985. It was probably the most successful band in which I was involved and was at one point in discussion with a major label, although that never went anywhere (long story which I can tell you over a beer).

It is VERY 1980s sounding and you can see why so much of my stuff has an 80s feel to it - I am pretty much stuck in that era. I'm on guitar and a little bit of backing vox btw. This was recorded in a 24-track studio with a professional engineer and I think I could probably get a better sound now on the MBR. It just shows how far technology has moved on.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

mr2kewl

super 80's sounds going here, Nigel.

i was getting into Jazz around this time, so i can't put my finger on who it sounds like.

Peter Gabrial maybe.

maybe not.

good sound none the less.

8)
"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

Oldrottenhead

magic nigel, this sounds so of that time, bit of frankie goes in the guitar sounds, but lots of other stuff coming to mind. thing is so many current "indie" bands are getting by on ripping off those sounds, the killers to name but one.

i would have went to see you on the strength of this
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

Thanks guys! I guess our main influences were Simple Minds, Japan and Killing Joke although Gabriel's solo work was also a big influence at the time, especially on the vocalist. I remember once we played a gig in Brighton and the audience included some drunk Scots guys who liked the band a lot and were trying to get us to go up north, so Jim you might have had the chance but it never came to pass... Funny you mention the Killers - as soon as I heard them I thought "that's what our band should have sounded like!". I like them a lot but they are very derivative.

Thanks for making an old man enjoy the old times again!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

no thank you! for making an old man enjoy the old times again lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Thanks for posting this.  Very enjoyable to listen.  Very Duran Duran to my ears (I hope that isn't an insult Nigel, its not meant to be).  I really like that thumping bass line, that is great.  That guy had style hu.  The singer seems to be overreaching a bit, but that was the sound wasn't it.  A great bast from the past.  Except for Peter Gabriel I didn't really get into too much of this kind of music at that time (Rush ruled for us Canadian teens at this time).  Great stuff.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Wiley

Thanks for posting a blast from the past Nigel,  Great listen!!

cuthbert

Great track! And a nice trip back to the 80s, a musical era that like the 50s, 60s, & 70s is being revisited if not now, soon. I can hear the Killing Joke influence, especially in the bass-n-drum combo.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Satchwood

Very cool song Nigel - cool band sound!!!  Thanks for sharing the trip down the 80s road :)  - nice mix, although I think the bass is a little low in my phones...cool guitar, vox, drums, & keys!!!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

launched

This is a sweet tune, Nigel!!

The guitar, bass and drums were fantastic on this. I love the whole song, but I had my focus on those three instruments. I thought you were probably playing bass, but then I read you were playing guitar, which was just as freakin' good!

Anyway, after a couple listens I am hooked! I agree that 24 bit would have worked "wonders" on the recording, but there is no way to duplicate this cool sound with anything but tape. I think Steve Albini still has his uses!  8)

You totally rock, man! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!

Happy New Year, bro!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover