New HTML5 MP3 players and Jukeboxes

Started by 64Guitars, July 04, 2016, 12:15:10 AM

Groundy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: AndyR on July 06, 2016, 01:24:53 AM64 - the singlemp3 tags are now registering plays in alonetone if you just view the page here without playing.

Should be fixed now. I've set the preload property to "none".

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

AndyR

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

ODH

I hate to be the voice of gloom, but now I can't get anything to play (on my Windows desktop in work running IE10).  Used to be I couldn't play song files in posts, but could play jukeboxes, now neither plays.

:(
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

64Guitars

Quote from: ODH on July 07, 2016, 05:50:12 AMI hate to be the voice of gloom, but now I can't get anything to play (on my Windows desktop in work running IE10). 

I can understand the HTML5 player not working for you because, if I'm not mistaken, IE10 doesn't support HTML5 audio. You need at least IE11 and even then there could be a few problems. But I can't think of any reason why the Flash player wouldn't work. It's basically the same player we've always been using.

The only possible explanation I can think of is that IE10 isn't handling the few lines of JavaScript that allow the "Flash Player" button to do its thing. Microsoft's version of JavaScript has always been crap, so I suppose that's a possible explanation. If the button doesn't work, then you won't be able to access the old Flash player.

I've got an old laptop computer here which I'm fixing up for my brother. It has IE9 on it, so I'll experiment with it later to see if our players will work in it. I know the HTML5 players won't work, but it should be able to use the Flash players. I'll let you know what I learn from that.

Quote from: ODH on July 07, 2016, 05:50:12 AMUsed to be I couldn't play song files in posts, but could play jukeboxes, now neither plays.
Are you saying that you couldn't play song files in posts with the HTML5 player only? Or are you saying that even when you clicked on the "Flash Player" link it wouldn't play? The latter would be hard to believe since it uses the same old Flash player that the jukeboxes used and you said they worked.

There are still a few jukeboxes that I haven't yet converted to the new HTML5 player - Golden Oldies, Geir Sings The Beatles, Florida MET 2013, Norway MET 2012, Yorkshire MET 2011, and Norway MET 2010. Do those jukeboxes still work for you? They should. I haven't done anything to them.

Is the management and IT department of your employer aware that running IE10 is a big security risk? Microsoft stopped supporting it on 12 January 2016 (except on Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8 Standard). That means that any newly-discovered vulnerabilities in IE10 can, and most likely will, be exploited by hackers. It would be a shame if your employer's computer systems were destroyed by hackers or their data stolen or held for ransom just because they can't be bothered to upgrade their web browsers.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: ODH on July 07, 2016, 05:50:12 AMI can't get anything to play (on my Windows desktop in work running IE10).

I've tried IE9 and found that, as you said, neither the HTML5 player nor the Flash player worked. The JavaScript for the "Flash Player" button/link was failing in IE. I fixed that, then started experimenting with the HTML5 audio. To my surprise, I found that IE9 can actually play MP3s using HTML5! The trouble is, it only works when there's a direct link to an MP3 file that has the extension ".mp3". It can't handle the links to our MP3 attachments. It just ignores them. Since the vast majority of our MP3s are attachments, I can't make the new HTML5 player work in IE. So, as a workaround, I've made the players and jukeboxes default to the Flash Player whenever the browser is IE 10 or older. As far as I know, IE 11 should work okay with the new HTML5 players but I have no way to verify that.

It's not an ideal solution since IE users (ver. 10 and older) won't be able to access the new HTML5 player at all. But at least they'll be able to play MP3s in song posts and listen to the jukeboxes, provided that they have the Flash plugin installed and working in IE.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

ODH

Thanks for taking the time, 64.

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 07, 2016, 02:56:47 PMThere are still a few jukeboxes that I haven't yet converted to the new HTML5 player - Golden Oldies, Geir Sings The Beatles, Florida MET 2013, Norway MET 2012, Yorkshire MET 2011, and Norway MET 2010. Do those jukeboxes still work for you? They should. I haven't done anything to them.

Yes, they still work the same way; go to the page and the jukebox loads and plays automatically.

I fired up my Windows 10 laptop at home last night and tried on Microsoft Edge and the new jukeboxes wouldn't play there either.  Or songs in posts either, come to that, same as in work.  It must be me, Microsoft don't like me, and the feeling's mutual.

The new ones work fine on my iPhone, though (whereas jukeboxes didn't used to).

*** Hold the phone, though  ***

Just went into the OTD jukebox and it did load and play.  Then I tried the Latest Songs one and that did too after a while.  Couldn't get them to work yesterday, now they seem to be okay.  Defies logic.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

kenny mac

Excellent work Mr 64 you are indeed our Mr spock of the great ship songcrafters.
Bravo sir.

danieldesete

Thanks 64, all that knowledge and work for a noble purpose, you are a songcrafter saint
hou hou ha ha