New HTML5 MP3 players and Jukeboxes

Started by 64Guitars, July 04, 2016, 12:15:10 AM

64Guitars

New Festival Jukebox Player

I finally got around to creating a new jukebox player that doesn't need Flash. It works in any modern browser that supports the HTML5 <audio> element, which is practically all of them. However, results will vary from browser to browser since they each have their own little quirks and bugs. It works best in Firefox.

(This is just an image. Go to any festival jukebox to see the new player in action.)

Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution to the problem of songs stopping unexpectedly in browsers that are based on the WebKit layout engine. But I have found that browsers built with more recent versions of WebKit seem to work a lot better than browsers built with older versions of WebKit. So be sure to keep your browsers updated - perhaps this problem will eventually go away as WebKit improves. In the meantime, you can still use the old Flash jukebox by clicking the "Flash Player" link (assuming your device supports Flash, as many don't).

If the new player doesn't work well on your device and it doesn't support Flash, there is a new "Playlist" link that might be an alternative for some people. It lets you download the playlist so you can load it into any media player that supports the XSPF playlist format, such as VLC. For example, you can right-click on the Playlist link and select "Copy Link Location". Then you can open VLC and press Ctrl-V (or select "Open Location from clipboard" from VLC's Media menu) to paste the location. You should then see the entire playlist in VLC and you can play any or all of the songs. You can even sort the playlist in VLC or drag individual songs to the desired position in the list. Pressing Ctrl-L in VLC toggles the playlist view. If playlists work well for you in VLC or another media player, I'd recommend that you set up a file association in your operating system so that files with the extension ".xspf" will automatically open in your media player. Once that's set up, you'll only need to click on the Playlist link in the HTML5 jukebox player to immediately load the playlist into your media player without any copying and pasting.

Here's a screenshot of the FiftiesFest playlist loaded into VLC:

Currently, the new HTML5 jukebox is only available for festivals. So member jukeboxes, "On This Day", "Latest Songs", etc. still use the old Flash player. I'll eventually change these to the new HTML5 player too but I can't say when that will be.

I also got the [singlemp3][/singlemp3] tags to work with the single-song HTML5 player. It's exactly the same player that you get for attached songs. So now you can play songs that are hosted offsite (alonetone, for example) without the need for Flash.

Here's an example using the [singlemp3][/singlemp3] tags to play a song hosted on alonetone:

Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Hook

Downloaded Firefox and it works like like a charm. Showed up but didn't play in safari.  Can't say I like Firefox much as a phone browser but it's defiantly better than puffin. This, as always, is incredible work 64 and greatly appreciated. I'll try the download option later. I love listening to the jukeboxes while driving and Puffin cracks,pops and pauses too much to enjoy consistantly. Not too put any pressure on you good sir but I can't wait for the latest and OTD jukeboxes to be included.
You rock good sir!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Geir

Thank you !!!!

Your amazing work is appreciated !!

Finally I can listen without so much hassle on my pieDevices
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

i don't know what we would do without you guid sur. i know my windows phone is not up to the task but i know you tried everything to resolve that. behind the scenes you pulled some rabbits out of the hat. your sterling work here is greatly appreciated.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Redler

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on July 04, 2016, 06:34:53 AMI can't wait for the latest and OTD jukeboxes to be included.

Anything you want...

You Got It!
recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hilary

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

AndyR

64 - the singlemp3 tags are now registering plays in alonetone if you just view the page here without playing.

Eg 1) alonetone told me I had listened to your Dr Who a load of times when I haven't (I'm on a pc with a disabled soundcard at work). Eventually I tracked it down to accessing this thread.

2) So I looked at my Profile, Song Posts page on here. That immediately registered plays for all 10 songs displayed.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1